Connect with us

Headlines

Top 10 Kano stories of November, 2019

Published

on

By Mukhtar Yahya Usman

Parents of abducted Kano children deserve arrest–Emir Sanusi

Emir of Kano Muhammad Sanusi II had said that parents of the nine Kano children who were abducted, forcefully converted to Christianity and sold in Anambra state, deserved to be arrested by the police for “criminal negligence.”

Mr Sanusi, who broke his silence on the issue for the first time, had said when the abductions were first reported to him at his palace, he had asked his aides to find out from the Kano Police Command if there was any law on negligence.

Shaaban Educational

The Emir spoke at the 2019 public campaign on drug abuse organized by League for Societal Protection Against Drugs Abuse (LESPADA) held in Kano.

Kano court dissolves 4 emirates created by Ganduje

A Kano High Court dissolved the four first class emirates carved out of the Kano emirate by the Kano state government.

KANO FOCUS recalls that Kano state governor Abdullahi Ganduje had on May 8, assented to a law establishing Bichi, Karaye, Rano, and Gaya emirates.

However, the court presided by Justice Usman Na’Abba had declared the law as null and void.

Mr Na’Abba had ruled that the Kano state House of Assembly did not follow the proper procedures in making the law.

My comments on Kano abducted children were deliberately twisted–Emir Sanusi

Emir of Kano Malam Muhammad Sunusi II has complained that his recent comments on the abduction of native Kano children by Igbo kidnappers, were deliberately misinterpreted by journalists.

Kano Focus reports that Mr Sanusi had November 9, 2019 sparked controversy after he accused parents of abducted children in the state of “criminal negligence”, with many people describing his comments as “insensitive”.

However, reacting to the controversy, Mr Sanusi had said his comments were deliberately misinterpreted by journalists.

He spoke while receiving the Commander-General of the state Hisbah board Sheikh Muhammad Harun Sani Ibni Sina, who had paid him a visit at his palace.

“So, you have to understand. We know journalists and we have already said it that our comments will be deliberately twisted and misinterpreted and that was what happened. Even these latest comments I am making will be misinterpreted,” he had said.

Kano gov’t seizes Emir Sanusi’s N250m land, pays monarch N4.5m compensation

The Kano State Government seized a plot of land worth N250 million belonging to the Emir of Kano Muhammad Sanusi II and approved a peanut N4.5 million as compensation to the monarch.

There is a brewing crisis between Governor Abdullahi Ganduje and the emir, which culminated in whittling the influence of the latter by creation of four additional emirates and first-class emirs in Bichi, Rano, Karaye and Gaya.

A Kano High Court had last week nullified the law that created the emirates and the emirs, triggering fears that the judgement might trigger the simmering crisis.

 Ganduje appoints new commissioners

Kano state governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje inaugurated 21 commissioners after six months without a cabinet.

The governor swore-in the commissioners and assigned portfolios to them less than 48 hours after their screening by the Kano State House of Assembly.

Mr Ganduje held his first state executive council meeting just hours after inaugurating the new cabinet members.

Appeal Court upholds Ganduje’s election

The Kaduna division of the Court of Appeal upheld the March 23 election of Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje as the governor of Kano State.

In its ruling, the appellate court dismissed the appeal filed by the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) and its candidate Abba Kabir Yusuf, challenging Mr Ganduje’s election victory.

Kano Focus recalls that on October 2, 2019 chairman of the Kano Election Tribunal, Justice Halima Shamaki had dismissed the petition filed by the PDP and Mr Yusuf for lack of proof.

Kano Assembly cuts break to consider Education Development Support bill

 The Kano state House of Assembly resumed its plenary session to consider a bill for the establishment of an Education Development Support Board.

KANO FOCUS recalls that the Assembly had gone on break on November 07, to resume on December 16.

However, the Assembly Clerk, Abdullahi Alfa said the House will resume to consider the bill.

The bill was approved by the Kano state Executive Council in a meeting held at the Government House, Kano.

Yusuf Maitama Sule varsity to start medicine course next year

Yusuf Maitama Sule University, Kano (YUMSUK) has revealed that it would commence degree programme in medicine and surgery (MBBS) by 2020.

The Vice Chancellor of the university Professor Mustapha Ahmad Isah disclosed this while defending the university’s budget before the Kano Assembly Committee on Higher Education.

Mr. Isah had said the institution is set to enroll its first set of medical students in the next academic session, Kano Focus reports.

He said the sum of N3 billion was budgeted for the university in order to renovate the site for the purpose of the medical programme.

Swiss foundation honors Kano journalist

 The Fetisov Charitable Foundation based in Geneva, Switzerland has shortlisted Kano-born journalist Abdulaziz Abdulaziz for its international journalism award.

KANO FOCUS reports that Abdulaziz Abdulaziz of the Premium Times was shortlisted in the Outstanding Investigative Reporting category for his series of stories that led to the resignation of former minister of finance, Kemi Adeosun.

Mr Abdulaziz had exposed how Ms Adeosun skipped the mandatory one year national service and used a forged exemption certificate to secure public service appointments illegally.

Kano blogger accuses PPRO of human rights violations

A Kano based blogger, Bashir Bashir Galadanci has petitioned the state police command to investigate its public relations officer over alleged abuse of office and violations of fundamental human rights.

Mr Galadanchi had accused Abdullahi Haruna Kiyawa, a Deputy Superintendent of Police, of illegal detention, torture, and coercing him into making a false confession.

KANO FOCUS recalls that Mr Galadanci was arrested on September 11 for allegedly divulging police internal information on social media without authorization.

In a videotaped confession that went viral, Mr Galadanci apologized to the police command and alleged that he was sponsored by a former PPRO to tarnish the image of the Kano state police command.

Headlines

Kano Emir to head community policing advisory committee

Published

on

Aminu Ado Bayero

Mukhtar Yahya Usman

Governor Abdullahi Ganduje has appointed the Emir of Kano, Aminu Ado Bayero as head of a community policing advisory committee.

KANO FOCUS reports that Mr Bayero is expected to work together with a deputy commissioner of police, Balarabe Sule, who is also the chairman of a second committee–the State Community Policing Community–to enhance security in the state.

Mr Ganduje inaugurated the two committees at the Government House, Kano on Friday.

Shaaban Educational

“The committee will be giving advice on how to come about the issue of security in the state,” the governor said, referring to the emir’s team.

Mr Ganduje said there is need for communities to be engaged in the fight against crime.

“We urge people to cooperate with the security agencies in providing them with useful information. Because it is the people of the community who know criminals among them,” he added.

In his remarks the Inspector General of Police, who was represented by the Deputy Inspector General, (DIG) Andul Dahiru Danwawu commended Mr Ganduje for his efforts on security in the state.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Ganduje’s 2nd term worst in Kano history – Opposition

Published

on

Ganduje Oathtaking

Abubakar Dangambo and Nasiru Yusuf

Kano state governor, Abdullahi Ganduje’s second term is the worst in history according to the opposition Peoples’ Democratic Party, a charge that the government has dismissed.

Former PDP chairman and Kwankwasiyya stalwart Umar Haruna Doguwa made the accusation in an interview with Kano Focus marking the first anniversary of Mr Ganduje’s second term.

Mr Doguwa said Ganduje’s administration has not introduced a single new project within the year under review.

Shaaban Educational

“In terms of infrastructure I have not seen anywhere within one year where one block of new project was put. Just check. New project? This year? No.”

PDP demands probe into Kano mass deaths, berates Ganduje over daughter’s ‘excesses’

COVID-19: AKTH resumes specialty clinics Monday

COVID-19: 28 Almajirai repatriated to Kano test positive–Official

Mr Doguwa also accused the Ganduje administration of destroying both the traditional and religious heritages of Kano state within the year.

“Kano traditional institution is known far and even beyond Africa. But it was destroyed by only one person for his selfish desire.

“I am referring to the balkanisation of Kano emirate and subsequent dethronement of Emir Muhammad Sanusi ll. This cannot be forgotten.

“Secondly, take Kano as the centre of commerce and religious learning.

“Even in that learning, there was no time in the history of Kano when system of Islamic learning was worst hit, like this one year of Ganduje administration.

“You know the issue of Almajirai which was supposed to be modernised, but destroyed by this administration.

“The worst is branding a particular group of Ulama as anti-government.

These two actions have direct consequences on government progress,” Mr Doguwa said.

Free or Borrowed Education?

The opposition politician also faulted the implementation of free and compulsory education policy by the Ganduje administration.

He accused Mr Ganduje of excluding tertiary students from the program’s beneficiaries as he claimed was the case during the Kwankwaso administration.

“It should also be on record that total free education being operated by Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso was given free of charge, without any foreign or local loan from anywhere.

“The so-called free education being operated by governor Ganduje is for a cost.

“Though it is partly funded by some donors, I learnt that he has collected N15 billion loan, for what?” Mr Doguwa said.

He also criticised the handling of the COVID-19 pandemic by the Ganduje administration.

“The way it was handled was nothing to write home about.

“Poor people were put in lockdown without palliatives.

“Even in the steering committee you put children you loved against professionalism. People were not fully sensitised.

“Look, the governor made a pronouncement that the government will give palliatives to 500,000 people of Kano out of about 20 million population.

“Even at that, the governor later said they are starting with 50,000 people, where only four people were selected from each political ward. It is just a sham, and it will not solve the problem.” Mr Doguwa said.

Our government has done well

However, Kano state commissioner for youths and sports, Kabiru Ado Lakwaya dismissed the allegations as mere ranting by the opposition.

Mr Lakwaya told Kano Focus that despite challenges, the government has achieved huge successes in the areas of education, health, economy, youths, transportation and infrastructure.

He said Mr Ganduje is championing the integration of Almajiri into the formal education sector.

“The policy on Almajiri repatriation will continue as it sees the move an opportunity to make life better for them as citizens.

“It is a collective effort by northern governors to tackle insecurity in the region.” He said.

The commissioner also said contrary to claims by the opposition of lapses in the handling of Covid 19 pandemic, Mr Ganduje was the first governor in Nigeria to set up an isolation centre even before the virus reached Kano.

“He imposed movement restrictions and banned inter-states movement all in an effort to prevent the spread of the virus in Kano.” Mr Lakwaya said.

He also dismissed allegations that the government’s only achievement was the balkanization of the Kano Emirate.

“Even the opposition are now happy with the creation of the new Emirates as it helps in developing their communities.

Much needs to be done

Meanwhile, a political analyst, Kabiru Sufi said Mr Ganduje’s second term has achieved a pass mark in the education sector.

Mr Sufi, who holds a PhD in Political Science, told Kano Focus that the government needs to double its efforts to fulfil its promises in education.

“A special launch was made a bill has been taken to the state assembly to secure funds for the program.”

“Launching the program is not enough, as more need to be done, government should redouble effort to actualize the projects, but fairly speaking, government needs to do more.” Mr Sufi said.

The political scientist said the government has also recorded success in infrastructural development though most of the projects are still under construction.

He however argued that critical sectors like agriculture and water supply were not given deserve priority yet, and water supply continues to remain major problem for Kano residents.

Mr Sufi said the government has failed to fulfil its promise of establishing a world class cancer centre though it has launched the project.

He added that the COVID-19 pandemic has exposed many problems in the health sector which need serious attention.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Pantami not responsible for NIDCOM’s withdrawal from office complex–NCC

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has, again, clarified that the Hon. Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr. Isa Ali Ibrahim Pantami, was never involved in the process of offer of office allocation to the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM) at the NCC’s Communications and Digital Economy Complex located at Mbora District, Abuja, as the public is being made to believe.

The Commission reiterated this position in a press statement signed by its Director Public Affairs, Dr. Henry Nkemadu, in which it made further clarifications to the members of public and other stakeholders on the situation.

“For the avoidance of doubt, the Honourable Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr. Isa Ali Ibrahim Pantami, was never involved in the offer to the office space, nor in the withdrawal of the offer for same office space. the Minister should not, therefore, be brought into the issue,” he said.

Shaaban Educational

According to Dr. Nkemadu, the decision to withdraw the offer of office space from NiDCOM was purely of the NCC, the custodian of the office complex.

“It should, however, be made abundantly clear that the withdrawal of the offer of the office space, which was unconditionally given, in the first instance, to NiDCOM, was informed by exigencies and change in priorities within the NCC, which led to the taking back of the office space earlier allocated with intention of finding a suitable replacement for NiDCOM,” he said.

The Commission, therefore, reiterates its confidence in the leadership, person and office of the Honourable Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr. Isa Ali Ibrahim Pantami.

Continue Reading

Trending

Don`t copy text!