Connect with us

Headlines

COVID-19: 15 more health workers test positive in Kano

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

Fifteen additional health workers have tested positive for the presence of the coronavirus while treating patients at the National Orthopeadic Hospital, Dala in Kano state.

Aliyu Kabara, the chairman of the hospital’s branch of Association of Resident Doctors (ARD) confirmed this to KANO FOCUS on Tuesday.

Mr Kabara said the 15 infected health personnel include three consultant doctors, nine resident doctors and three nurses that treated asymptomatic COVID-19 patients, who came to the hospital for orthopaedic treatment.

“We were the first hospital in Kano to record infected COVID-19 doctors. During the first screening, 15 persons out of 25 samples were found to be positive for COVID-19.

“All the infected doctors are now in self isolation in their respective homes, pending the availability of beds in state isolation centres.

“Because presently there is shortage of beds space in state isolation centres. We are hopeful of getting space since they have started discharging recovered patients who were certified negative for COVID-19. All the doctors are now in stable condition,” he explained.

According to him, the hospital has scaled down operation, and restricted services to emergency cases and inpatients.

On how the doctors got infected, Mr Kabara said they contracted the disease from a female patient who had undergone a surgery.

“When she came back for follow-up, she exhibited some COVID-19 symptoms. Most of the infected doctors are from that unit where this woman was treated.

“We are not always using personal protective equipment, because we don’t have enough. We rarely use them when attending to patients suspected to be COVID-19 positive.

“Otherwise, we use surgical mask and hand gloves for routine clinical services,” he said.

“No one will refuse to attend to a patient with life threatening illness and send him back because of lack of personal protective equipment. Some of these patients have COVID-19 beside their known clinical challenges,” Mr Kabara added. .

KANO FOCUS on Tuesday reported how 10 medical doctors tested positive for COVID-19 while treating patients at the Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital (AKTH).

The chairman of the hospital’s branch of the Association of Resident Doctors, Abubakar Nagoma, attributed the vulnerability of the doctors to non-use of face masks by patients when coming to hospitals and lack of adequate personal protective equipment for doctors.

He also mentioned the deliberate hoarding of information by some patients.

However, Dr Tijjani Hussaini, coordinator of the technical subcommittee, Kano State Task Force on COVID-19, told this newspaper that three COVID-19 patients had been discharged after testing negative to the virus twice.

Mr Tijjani said all three patients were males, adding that more patients would be discharged from isolation centres this week.

“We are on contact tracing of over 400 persons. We still have challenge of resistance and non-disclosure of status from our contacts.

“We are presently working on the instruction of governor (Abdullahi Ganduje) to establish sample collection centres across the 44 local government areas of the state,” he said.

Kano state, is the second epicentre of COVID-19 in Nigeria after Lagos state.

On Monday, the NCDC  had announced 23 new cases in Kano, putting the total confirmed COVID-19 cases in the state at 365, including eight deaths.

To curtail the spread of the virus in the state, President Muhammadu Buhari had announced a 2-week total lockdown in the state, as a reinforcement on the earlier one announced by the Kano State government

Mr Buhari had also deployed a special team of health professionals to assist the state government to fight the disease.

Headlines

20 year old man drowns in Kano pond

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

A Twenty year-old man, identify as Safiyanu Mustapha has drowned inside pond in Gaida, Kumbotso Local Government Area of Kano State.

Kano Focus gathered that circumstances surrounding Mustapha’s death was still under investigation.

The Public Relations Officer, Kano State Fire Service, Saidu Muhammed who confirmed the development to Kano Focus on Tuesday, said the victim was rescued and later confirmed dead.

Mr Muhammad said, “We received a distress call at about 07:50am through Malam Kabiru Hashimu in Gaida, Kumbotso Local Government area notifying us of the incident.

“Upon receiving the information, we dispatched our team to the scene of incident who discovered that it was a man of about 20 years, by name Safiyanu Mustapha that fell inside a pond.

“Victim was rescued and later confirmed dead.

“We handed the corpse to the village head of Challawa, Alhaji Yahaya Zangina for funeral.

“Cause of incident is under investigation,” Muhammad said.

Continue Reading

Headlines

FG registers 500,000 farmers in Kano – Nanono

Published

on

Sabo Nanono and Nasiru Gawuna

Nasiru Yusuf

The federal ministry of agriculture and rural development has registered over five hundred thousand farmers in Kano state.

Kano Focus reports that the minister of agriculture Sabo Nanono revealed this on Monday, while flagging off the National trans – boundary aerial pest control exercise held at the Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport,Kano.

The minister said the ministry has so far registered over five million farmers in the country.

He maintained that the President Buhari administration has initiated many interventions in agricultural sector to cushion the impact of COVID-19 pandemic and ensure socio-economic development.

He explained that the 2020 dry season control of migratory pests is conducted in 12 front line states to address the challenge being face in the sector over the years.

“The federal ministry of agriculture and rural development has so far registered over 5 million farmers in the country country out of which over 500,000 are from Kano. The data gathered would help in proper documentation and ensure smooth running of agricultural activities.

“Due to the destructive effects of these pests especially on cereal crops, the federal government through the federal ministry of agriculture and rural development has been inundated with requests by state governments to carry out aerial and ground control operation against the pests in order to salvage the expected rice bumper harvest,” Nanono said.

He however acknowledged the tremendous contribution of Kano state government to the development of agriculture adding that with cooperation among stakeholders all obstacles that will endanger food and nutritional security can be eliminated in the country.

In his address the governor of Kano State, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje said the control of migratory pests that attack and destroy cereals particularly rice, millet and wheat is meant to prevent loss of the crops.

According to him, the measure is in line with the federal and state government policy of agricultural transformation aimed at boosting production for food security and economic stability.

The governor represented by his deputy Nasiru Yusuf Gawuna said “Control of Quelea birds results in increase in yield of many crops per hectare and quantity of various agricultural produce we export as well as ensure safer and higher productivity.”

While appreciating the effort of the federal government for conducting aerial operation against the migratory birds in Bagwai, Bebeji, Bunkure, Garun Malam, Kura, Makoda, Rano and Warawa, the governor advised the federal ministry of agriculture and rural development to provide nets to the farmers, destroy roosting sites and ensure use of resistant varieties of the affected crops.

The Governor and the Minister later inspected the Flight demonstration of aerial pest control by AZMAN Group at the airport.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Kano Assembly approves Ganduje’s request of N20b loan

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

Kano State House of Assembly has approved  Abdullahi Ganduje’s request to access N20 billion loan from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and United Bank for Africa (UBA).

Kank Focus reports that the assembly approved the request during its plenary on Monday after the Speaker, Abdulazeez Garba Gafasa read the letter received from Ganduje seeking their consent to access the loan.

After a series of deliberations, the lawmakers unanimously agreed and approved the request.

Shedding more light to newsmen on the facility, the Majority of the assembly, Kabiru Hassan Dashi said the loan was to cover up the economic breakdown occasioned by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Hassan-Dashi added that the assembly considered the governor’s request after having challenges to access it from the capital market due to worsening economic conditions.

Similarly, during the plenary, a member representing Kunchi/Tsayawa constituency, Garba Ya’u Gwarwai apologised to the assembly on behalf of the five of them suspended on March 2020.

Kano Focus recalled that the five lawmakers were suspended by the house for allegedly causing a rowdy session, But the lawmakers ran to court, and the court ordered for their reinstatement.

According to Ya’u Gwarmai, “we are apologizing in order to allow for peace to reign in the assembly, therefore I am apologizing on behalf of my other colleagues.”

Continue Reading

Trending