Connect with us

Headlines

NCC awards N336 million research grants to universities in 5 years – Danbatta

Published

on

EVC NCC

Nasiru Yusuf

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has awarded N336.4 million  research grants to Nigerian universities from 2015 to date.

Kano Focus reports that the Executive Secretary of the commission Umar Garba Danbatta, disclosed this at an interactive session with journalists in Abuja.

Mr Danbatta said NCC had continued to collaborate with academics to support the development of the innovative services and life-changing solutions with the use of information and communications technologies to promote indigenous content.

“The Commission has so far released N336.4 million as research grants to the academia and has endowed professional chairs in two Nigerian universities.

COVID-19 virtual hackathon: NCC awards N9M research grants to three winners

Computer professionals support NCC in deploying 5G in Nigeria

COVID-19: NCC, Danbatta receive awards for keeping Nigerians connected

“More importantly, we have empowered the Nigerian youth by promoting their ingenuity and innovation in the development of locally-relevant technology solutions.

“The latest of such was the 2020 NCC Virtual Hackathon, where we gave N9 million in grant to three top promising tech startups for solutions, aimed at addressing the impact of COVID-19 and diseases in thematic areas of health, community, productivity, economy and transportation.’’

Mr Danbatta revealed that the commission has remitted N362.34 billion into the Federal Government Consolidated Revenue Fund (CRF), from 2015 to date.

He said that the revenue was realised through spectrum fees and operating surplus, which he noted helped to boost the revenue generation drive of the present administration.

Mr Danbatta said that the broadband penetration in 2015, when he first assumed office as Executive Vice Chairman, was six per cent.

Kano Focus recalled that when Danbatta first tenure ended, he was re-appointed in June and confirmed by the Senate on July 21.

According to Danbatta, the broadband penetration as at July is 42 per cent.

“This achievement is as a result of key policy initiatives to improve broadband penetration embarked upon by the Commission.

“These include increasing the number of licenced infrastructure companies (InfraCo), to six across the geo-political zones,’’ among others.

Mr Danbatta said that the Commission was currently finalising six InfraCo counterpart funding agreements to ensure the full rollout of broadband infrastructure on an Open Access Model.

He said that this would ensure there was Point of Access in all the 774 local government areas in the country.

The executive vice chairman said that the drive to boost broadband penetration yielded fruit as the subscribers’ base stood at 199.31 million as at June.

Mr Danbatta also said that teledensity rose to 104.41 while the sector contributed 14.2 per cent to the GDP in the second quarter.

On his focus for the next five years, Danbatta said that he hoped to deepen the broadband penetration drive.

“We hope to take the broadband penetration to 70 per cent to at least 90 per cent of the population by 2025 in line with new target in the National Broadband Plan (NBBP), 2020-2025.

“We want to continue to protect consumers and ensure they have value for their money.

“We want to continue to support and fast-track the digital economy drive of the Federal Government and this has led to the creation of a Digital Economy Department in the Commission,’’ Danbatta added.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

Police urge Kano residents to comply with governor’s directive against protest, demonstrations

Published

on

Mukhtar Yahya Usman

The Kano state commissioer of police Muhammad HussainGumel has called  on Kano Residents to Remain Patriotic and Obey the Kano State Government Order which was Issued this Morning 29/05/2024 that put Ban on All Forms of Unlawful Gatherings, Protests or Processions.

KANO FOCUS reports that this was contained in a statement issued by police spokesperson Abdullahi Haruna Kiyawq on Wednesday.

Mr Kiyawa said the Police Command in Kano State will ensure the State Government Order that ban all forms of protests is being implemented with all sense of vigor as any person found will be arrested and prosecuted accordingly.

He said Already, armed personnel have since been deployed to identified flash points in and outside the Metropolis and are poised to deal with any form of violation and other unforeseen circumstances.

In the same vein, the Police Command have placed its fully kitted, equipped and motivated personnel on ‘red alerts’ to ruthlessly deal with the situation as any form of security threats in the State would not be tolerated.

The statement added that, the Commissioner of Police Mr Gumel calls on the law-abiding people of the State to remain patriotic, obey the Kano State Government Order, maintain calmness and avoid any other form of unlawful activities that may trigger violence as joint security forces have been dispatched to strategic locations to safeguard the peace and order throughout the State.

Furthermore, the Police Command is hereby reminding members of the public that the position of the law remained very clear as whoever attempts to disrupt the peace in the State will be arrested and made to face full wrath of the law.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Gov. Yusuf prohibits any public demonstration, order arrest of purported student protesters

Published

on

Mukhtar Yahaya Usman

The Governor of Kano State, Alhaji Abba Kabir Yusuf, has imposed stringent restrictions on all public gatherings intended for protest within the state, exercising the authority vested in him as the chief security officer of the state

KANO FOCUS reports that this was contained in a statement issued by the Governor’s Spokesperson, Sanusi Bature Dawakin Tofa, on Wednesday.

By virtue of his position, the governor has directed the Police, the Directorate of State Security Services, and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps to apprehend, detain, and prosecute any individual or group partaking in demonstrations on the streets of Kano.

This decisive action is a preemptive strategy aimed at averting any potential breakdown of law and order orchestrated by adversaries of the state.

“We are privy to credible intelligence indicating that certain prominent figures from the opposition party in Kano have devised plans to sponsor student associations and political agitators from other northwestern states to incite chaos under the guise of advocating for the dethroned Emir of Kano, Aminu Ado Bayero.”

The state government has explicitly outlawed protests, demonstrations, or processions of any kind, and individuals found on the streets of Kano engaging in such activities will be promptly apprehended.

“Through this declaration, we caution student groups against being manipulated by troublemakers who are resolute in fomenting disorder in Kano.”

The governor urged all citizens of the state to carry on with their normal activities as the state retains its tranquility, and the government will persist in vigilant oversight of the situation to promptly address any individuals or factions trying to undermine the relative peace that state presently enjoys.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Kano Emirate Tussle: Court Restrains Police, SSS, Military From harassing, Intimidating Emir Sanusi

Published

on

Mukhtar Yahya Usman

 

…… As the new Emir takes days holding the Palace Sitting

The Kano High Court, presided over by Justice Aminu Adamu Aliyu, sitting at Miller Road, has issued a restraining order against the police, the State Security Service (SSS), and the Nigerian military to prevent them from forcibly removing the reinstated Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II.

This legal action was initiated by the Emir, in conjunction with the four traditional kingmakers of Kano: Madakin Kano Yusuf Nabahani; Makaman Kano Ibrahim Sarki Abdullahi; Sarkin Bai Mansur Adnan, and Sarkin Dawaki Maituta Bello Tuta.

Justice Aliyu, in granting the order, also barred the security agencies from arresting or harassing the Emir and his kingmakers.

The judge declared, “An interim injunction is hereby granted, restraining the Respondents themselves, their agents, representatives, and assigns from further harassing, intimidating, inviting, arresting, or invading the personal or official residences of the Applicants (Gidan Rumfa), their attendants, or any of the Kano Emirate kingmakers, engaging in actions that could impede the Applicants’ rights generally in relation to this litigation pending the hearing and resolution of the motion on notice.

Furthermore, an interim injunction is granted, preventing the Respondents from attempting to seize, appropriate, or confiscate any regalia of authority, such as the twin spear of authority, the Royal Hat of Dabo, the Ostrich-feathered shoes, the knife and sword of the Emir of Kano, and other symbols of his office, pending the hearing and determination of the motion on notice

Continue Reading

Upcoming Events

There are no upcoming events at this time.

Facebook

Twitter

Trending