Connect with us

Headlines

Alleged child killer: “I was out of my mind”

Published

on

Hauwa Habib

Maude Rabiu Gwadabe

The woman who allegedly killed her two children in Kano City on Saturday said she was out of her mind when the incident happened.

Kano Focus reports that Hauwa’u Habib of Galadanchi quarters told the police that she wasn’t aware that she hacked her children to death.

“I saw my two children Zuhra and Yusuf attacking me with a knife or something.

“I called my husband and told him what was happening but he didn’t believe me.

“So I locked the house and escaped to my mother’s house for safety.

“The next thing I know was my husband coming to my mother’s house with bloodied clothes saying that I had killed the children.” Ms Habib said.

Paranoia and hallucinations

She also told the police that she had been paranoid for some time.

“I used to feel that I was being pursued.

“I even hallucinate a lot but my husband never believed me.

“Even he himself, I used to see him transforming into a beast with hooves instead of legs.” She said.

Ms Habib’s husband, Ibrahim Haruna Aminu of Diso quarters told Kano Focus that his wife was neither possessed nor suffering from mental illness.

Woman who killed own children is not possessed – Husband 

Out of her mind

However, Mr Aminu told the police that she must have been out of her mind when she allegedly killed the children.

“A day before the incident, while I was bidding her farewell as I set out to my other house, she asked me whether I was well.

“I said ‘why are you asking?’’ and she said that she was hallucinating but couldn’t tell me what she was seeing.” Mr Aminu said.

He added that his wife called him on Saturday claiming that she was under attack.

“She called around 9:55am saying that two women and a man are threatening to kill her.

“I asked where the children are but she answered that they are the ones threatening her.

“So I told her to keep praying and I’ll be with her after it stopped raining.” He said.

Last encounter with my children

Mr Aminu said she called back five minutes later and connected him with the children.

He said they asked for Bobo drink and he told them to ask their mum to fetch some from his wardrobe.

He then set out for the house but his car developed a problem.

Mr Aminu said he had to call a friend to tow the car to the mechanic’s.

“When I arrived I found the door locked and nobody opened when I knocked.

“I therefore used my key to open and found my children lying in their blood.

“The other girl, who was also stabbed, told me that ‘Aunty Hauwa’u had killed them’.” He said.

Mr Aminu said when he traced his wife to her mother’s house he found them having a chit-chat.

“When I told her mother what she did, the mother started crying while my wife kept asking ‘what happened?’”. He said.

Meanwhile Kano state police spokesperson Abdullahi Haruna Kiyawa said the suspect had confessed to using a machete and an aluminum pestle to attack her two children and a niece.

Mr Kiyawa, a deputy superintendent of police say the State Criminal Investigation Department has taken over the case.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

Kano High Court acquits 2 suspected armed robbers detained for 13 years

Published

on

Kano High Court

Nasiru Yusuf

A Kano State High Court has disçharged and acquitted two suspected armed robbers accused of killing their victim, Bako Zangina, an offense punishable by death.

Kano Focus reports that Justice Suleman Namalam held that though the court has no doubt that the accused are criminals having been convicted previously, the prosecution has failed to estabilish the ingredient of the offence beyond reasonable doubt in the instant case.

The accused Isyaku Umar otherwise known as ‘Small’ and Ibrahim Suleiman were arraigned in court on three counts charges of conspiracy,attempted armed robbery and culpable homicide punishable by death.

The two accused have been in custody since October 2007 for the alleged killing of Bako Zangina.

The court held that while the prosecution established the death of the victim, it failed to establish three ingredients of offense linking the identity of the accused to the crime thereby creating doubt.

The trial judge held that failure of the prosecution to prove the case beyond reasonable doubt left the court with no option than to discharge and acquitt the two accused.

The two accused persons have been in detention for over 13 years and have previously been tried and convicted for armed robbery.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Kano wins national award in the fight against TB, leprosy

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

Kano State Tuberculosis and Leprosy Control Program has won the twin National Tuberculosis and Leprosy awards for the year 2020.

Kano Focus reports that, the awards were announced by the Nigeria National TB, Leprosy and Buruli Ulcer Control program during the Annual Review meeting held in Port Harcourt, Rivers State Capital.

Kano get the award as the state with highest consistent quarterly TB case notification for 2020 and the highest TB testing laboratory using GeneXpert Machine.

This is the first time the state have won such National TB and Leprosy Awards.

Continue Reading

Headlines

FG signs US$1.959bn Kano-Maradi railway project

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

The federal government has on Monday signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Mota-Engil Group for the construction of US$1.959 billion Kano-Maradi Standard gauge railway line.

Kano Focus reports that the Minister of transportation, Rotimi Amaechi signed on behalf of the federal government while the Managing Director, Mota- Engil, Antonio Gvoea signed on behalf of the contracting firm.

The new railway corridor which is to be located in northern Nigeria will run through Kano, Jigawa and Katsina states and through Niger Republic territory as far as Maradi.

Other cities to benefit directly from the passage of the rail route are Danbatta, Kazaure, Daura, Mashi, Katsina and Jibiya.

A statement signed by Eric Ojiekwe, Director, Press and Public Relations, Ministry of Transportation noted that the 283.750-kilometre rail line besides developing freight and passenger transport, “will be integrated with road transport to make a great contribution to the local economy as well as an important development in the social sector.”

The project duration is for 36 months and the contract type is Engineering, Procurement and Construction.

The signing ceremony was witnessed by the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Transportation, Magdalene Ajani; Director, Legal Services, Pius Oteh; Managing Director, Mota-Engil Group, Antonio Gvoea; Head of Legal, Mota- Engil Group, Cameron Beverley; Magajin Garin Kano, Muhammad Wada; Director, Mota-Engil Group, Kola Abdulkarim; Vice President, Mota-Engil Group, Mohammed Abdul-Razaq; Nigerian Ambassador to Germany, Yusuf Tuggar; Managing Director, Nigerian Ports Authority, Hadiza Bala-Usman among other personalities.

Mota-Engil is a Portuguese conglomerate with diverse interest in construction, transportation, public works, port operations, waste, water and logistics with presence in 23 countries spread across Africa, Europe and Latin America.

Continue Reading

Trending