Connect with us

Headlines

Pantami commissions NCC’s emergency communication centre, five other IT projects

Published

on

NCC virtual commissioning

Nasiru Yusuf

The Minister of Communications and Digital Economy Isa Ali Pantami has commissioned Kaduna Emergency Communication Centre (ECC) built by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), alongside five Information Technology projects by other agencies under the Ministry.

Kano Focus reports that the NCC’s ECC project, which makes it possible for people of Kaduna and environs to dial 112 Emergency Number to get help during emergencies from appropriate emergency response agencies, is aimed at supporting the Federal Government’s agenda of enhancing security of lives and property in the country.

A statement sent to Kano Focus by the commission’s Deputy Manager, Public Affairs, Kunle Azeez said the NCC had built an ECC in each of the 36 states of the federation and the FCT.

The statement revealed that 19 of the ECC have been activated while efforts are ongoing to extend it to other states.

NCC implements Accounting Separation Framework in telecoms industry

Senate confirms reappointment of Danbatta as NCC Boss

The Minister also commissioned the Tertiary Institution Knowledge Centre (TIKC) in Enugu State Polytechnic, Iwollo executed by the Universal Service Provision Fund (USPF) of NCC.

Three other projects by the National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA), IT Community Centre in Katsina and IT Hub each in Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria Main Campus, Kaduna and University of Lagos, were also commissioned.

The sixth project commissioned was the opening of Nigeria Communication Satellite (NIGCOMSAT)’s Northwest Regional Office in Kaduna.

Speaking during the virtual commissioning of the projects, which took place at the NCC’s Communications and Digital Economy Complex, Mbora District, Abuja on Thursday, and attended by all heads of agencies under the ministry, Pantami said the projects were all connected to the country’s digital economy drive, as contained in the National Digital Economy Policy and Strategy (NDEPS) unveiled by the President in November last year.

NCC virtual Commissioning 2

Prof. Umar Danbatta, Executive Vice Chairman, NCC; Dr. Isa Ali Ibrahim Pantami, Hon. Minister of Communications and Digital Economy; Babagana Zulum, Governor of Borno State and Chairman of the occasion; Zainab Shamsuna, Hon. Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning; Babatunde Fashola, Minister of Works and Housing and Abimbola Alale, Managing Director, NIGCOMSAT during the event

“These projects are connected to some of the pillars of the NDEPS, especially with respect to developmental regulation, digital literacy and skills, solid infrastructure, among others,” Mr Pantami said.

He urged Nigerians, who are the ultimate beneficiaries of the projects, to take advantage of the opportunities.

He added that he would continue to work with other ministries, departments and parastatals of government to ensure teething challenges facing ICT infrastructure deployment in the country are addressed in other to deepen digital economy.

Meanwhile, the Executive Vice Chairman of NCC, Umar Danbatta, and other heads of agencies under the Ministry, have commended the Minister for promoting synergy among the agencies under his supervision.

According to Danbatta, “the projects will help in leading the country into a truly- digital economy.”

He restated the Commission’s commitment to ensure a robust broadband infrastructure in the country, to support government’s initiatives aimed at accelerating the implementation of National Digital Economy Policy and Strategy.

Headlines

APC chairman reaffirms 60/40 leadership formula during visit to Gov. Yusuf

Published

on

 

Nasiru Yusuf Ibrahim

 

The National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, has reaffirmed the party’s 60/40 leadership-sharing formula between new defectors and existing members in Kano State.

 

KANO FOCUS reports that Prof Yilwatda made the declaration during a courtesy visit to the Governor of Kano State, Abba Kabir Yusuf, where he expressed satisfaction with what he described as an impressive turnout of party supporters and leaders.

 

The development was disclosed in a statement issued on Monday by the Governor’s spokesperson, Sunusi Bature Dawakin Tofa.

 

According to the APC National Chairman, the 60/40 arrangement was designed to promote inclusiveness, unity, and effective participation of all stakeholders in party affairs and governance activities.

 

He said he was deeply impressed by the large number of party faithful who attended the meeting, noting that the turnout reflected a high level of enthusiasm, unity, and commitment among APC members in Kano State.

 

Yilwatda added that the strong gathering was a positive signal that would further strengthen support for President Bola Tinubu and boost his prospects in the forthcoming general elections.

 

He also commended Alhaji Yusuf Gawuna and Deputy Senate President, Barau Jibrin, for setting aside personal ambitions and aligning with the Governor’s vision for the party in Kano.

 

The APC Chairman further praised former Kano State Governor and ex-APC National Chairman, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, for his leadership and contributions to the party’s growth and cohesion in the state.

 

In his response, Governor Yusuf thanked the APC leadership for the visit and for their continued support toward unity and peace in Kano State.

 

He reaffirmed his commitment to working collaboratively with party members to ensure that the state remains united and prosperous, in alignment with the Renewed Hope Agenda of President Tinubu.

 

Governor Yusuf noted that the strong turnout and show of solidarity demonstrated that APC members in Kano are ready to work together for the progress of the party and the overall development of the state.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Ex-FRSC officer calls for relocation of Singer Market after recurrent fires

Published

on

 

Bosede Olufemi

 

A retired Assistant Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Alhaji Kabiru Yusuf-Nadabo, has called for the relocation of Singer Market in Kano to the Dangwaro International Market following repeated fire incidents at the facility.

KANO FOCUS reports that Yusuf-Nadabo, who is also a chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC) from Jigawa State, made the call in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Kano on Monday.

He said the relocation had become necessary to address persistent fire outbreaks that have plagued the market over the past 15 years.

According to him, he was at the scene of the latest fire incident on February 14 from 4 p.m. to 8 a.m., where he observed serious challenges in accessing the area during rescue operations.

“It took about 12 hours to put out the fire. The current location of the market is not conducive for heavy-duty and articulated vehicles, posing serious safety risks,” he said.

He noted that the market’s environment makes it difficult for articulated vehicles and fire service trucks to move freely, especially during emergencies.

Yusuf-Nadabo added that nearly 100 trucks enter the market daily to offload goods, contributing to congestion. He said major adjoining roads, including Bello Road and Ibrahim Taiwo Road, are often blocked, compounding traffic problems and hindering emergency response.

“Based on my experience in traffic management and public safety, relocating the market to Dangwaro International Market will significantly reduce congestion and help put an end to recurring fire outbreaks,” he stated.

The retired FRSC officer urged the Kano State Government to act urgently in the interest of public safety and sustainable urban development.

Meanwhile, KANO FOCUS reports that the recent fire destroyed goods and property worth over ₦5 billion, affecting more than 1,000 businesses and leaving seven persons missing.

The Chairman of the market, Alhaji Junaid Zakari, disclosed the extent of the damage to NAN in Kano on Sunday.

Singer Market has witnessed several fire outbreaks in recent years. A massive blaze occurred at the market on February 2, 2026, affecting numerous shops before firefighters and emergency agencies brought it under control, with no reported loss of lives.

In November 2025, a dawn fire razed 44 shops, while in March 2023, over 100 shops were destroyed. Similarly, in November 2022, a warehouse and goods worth over ₦100 million were consumed by fire.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Tinubu sympathises with Kano Traders, orders probe into Singer Market fire

Published

on

 

Nasiru Yusuf Ibrahim

 

President Bola Tinubu has sympathised with traders and residents of Kano State following the devastating fire outbreak at Singer Market over the weekend.

 

KANO FOCUS reports that the fire, which reportedly started on Saturday evening and raged into Sunday morning, caused extensive damage to the popular food market, leaving many traders counting heavy losses.

 

In a statement issued on Sunday by his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, the President described the incident as tragic and deeply concerning.

 

According to the statement, President Tinubu had earlier contacted the Governor of Kano State, Abba Kabir Yusuf, to obtain a situation report on the extent of the damage and ongoing response efforts.

 

The President expressed particular concern that the latest fire occurred less than two weeks after another inferno destroyed dozens of shops and properties at the same market.

 

He consequently directed that a comprehensive investigation be carried out to determine the causes of the recurring fires, which have repeatedly left traders in distress.

 

President Tinubu assured the affected traders of the Federal Government’s concern and emphasised the need for preventive measures to avert future occurrences.

Continue Reading

Trending