Connect with us

Headlines

Kano signs MoU for construction of 5,000 housing units for teachers 

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje of Kano state has signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Family Homes Funds Limited for the provision of 5,000 units homes for teachers in the state.

KANO FOCUS reports that a statement issued by Ganduje’s spokesperson Abba Anwar said the event took place at Governor’s Lodge, Asokoro, Abuja, Thursday, in the presence of Senators from Kano, Ibrahim Shekarau, Barau Jibrin and Kabiru Gaya, and members of the House of Representatives, Commissioners, Chairman of Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT) Kano state Branch, among other stakeholders.

According to the statement with the signing of the MoU, for Teachers Housing Project, Kano state enters into agreement with Family Homes Funds Limited, to purposely help teachers own their private homes to make their life comfortable.

It added that the state has already provided 220 hectares of land for the project. And all necessary documentation has been done.

At the occasion Ganduje said “We are making quality education a reality. Education is a thrust in our administration. We must give all the needed attention to our teachers.

“We are increasing the dignity of teaching profession in our state. As we are having Government Reserve Areas (GRAs) we are now going to have Teachers Reserve Areas.”

He reveals that, state government had series of discussions with NUT before the states reached this level. “We will do all it takes to make this a reality.”

Family Homes Managing Director, Femi Adewole assured that they would do their best to see that the project is executed in accordance with the set objectives.

Kano State NUT Chairman Muhammad Hambali thanked the governor for the good gesture, assuring that teachers would reciprocate well for the government’s concern about their welfare.

This is coming few days after the government had recalled recalled 3,268 teachers that were posted to private, voluntary and community schools in the state for years.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

Kano Police announce movement restrictions ahead of assembly by-elections

Published

on

 

Nasiru Yusuf Ibrahim

 

The Kano State Police Command has announced movement restrictions and other security measures ahead of the February 21, 2026 by-elections into the Kano Municipal and Ungogo State Constituencies.

 

KANO FOCUS reports that the decision followed a meeting of the Kano State Inter-Agency Consultative Committee on Election Security (ICCES), chaired by the State Resident Electoral Commissioner of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Amb. Zango Abdu, mni, on Thursday February 19, 2026.

 

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, CSP Abdullahi Haruna Kiyawa, on behalf of the Commissioner of Police, CP Ibrahim Adamu Bakori, the Command said comprehensive security arrangements had been concluded to ensure a peaceful, free, fair, credible and transparent exercise.

 

According to the statement, movement of motor vehicles, tricycles and motorcycles will be restricted in Kano Municipal and Ungogo Local Government Areas from 12:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 21, 2026, being election day. The restriction will not apply to vehicles on essential services such as ambulances, fire service trucks, and those conveying electoral officials and accredited observers.

 

The Command further stated that only eligible voters would be allowed access to polling units, while only agents officially identified by INEC would be permitted to operate at the centres.

 

It warned that carrying weapons of any kind is strictly prohibited, adding that individuals wearing clothing or carrying items bearing political party logos will not be allowed at polling units. Loitering around voting centres will also not be tolerated.

 

The Police Command also announced that state security outfits, including vigilante groups, neighbourhood watch personnel, Hisbah and KAROTA officials, will not be allowed at polling units during the exercise.

 

The Command assured residents of its commitment to maintaining peace and neutrality throughout the electoral process, stressing that security agencies would remain apolitical, professional and impartial in the discharge of their duties.

 

Residents and visitors to the affected local government areas were urged to cooperate with law enforcement agencies to ensure a hitch-free exercise. Members of the public were also encouraged to report suspicious activities or emergencies through the designated police emergency numbers.

 

The Command wished the people of Kano State a peaceful and successful by-election.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Lami Maccido, first person to appear on screens of NTA Kano, CTV 67, dies at 72

Published

on

 

Nasiru Yusuf Ibrahim

 

Ace broadcaster, Hajiya Lami Hafsat Maccido, widely regarded as the first indigenous announcer on Radio Kano and the first person to appear on the screens of NTA Kano and CTV 67 at their formative stages, has died at the age of 72.

 

KANO FOCUS reports that Maccido passed away on Tuesday night after a brief illness, according to an announcement circulated on WhatsApp platform by Engr. Abubakar Garba Maccido.

 

 

Born on August 12, 1954, Maccido hailed from a diverse heritage. She was born in Jos, Plateau State, to a Shuwa Arab father from Borno State and a Fulani mother from Katsina State.

 

She attended Township Primary School and St. Louis Secondary School, both in Jos, before proceeding to ABC/ABU Kano for her tertiary education.

 

Maccido began her working career as a cashier at Sheshe Departmental Stores in Kano before joining Radio Kano in 1974, where she worked until 1976. She later moved to Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) Kano—then known as NTV Kano—where she served from 1976 to 1981.

 

She subsequently transferred her service to CTV 67 as a pioneer staff member. She retired in 2012 after 35 years of dedicated service in the broadcast industry.

 

Maccido, alongside her former colleagues Dr. Faruk Umar Usman, Alhaji Ishaq Hadeijia, and Alhaji Wada Abdullahi Kachako, played a key role in naming CTV 67 (Community Television) when the station was first established by the then Governor of Kano State, Abubakar Rimi.

 

Her death has sparked an outpouring of tributes from journalists, former colleagues, and admirers, many of whom described her as a trailblazer, a consummate professional, and a symbol of excellence in broadcasting.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Kano Court jails woman five years for N22.35m investment fraud

Published

on

 

Nasiru Yusuf Ibrahim

 

The Kano Zonal Directorate of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has secured the conviction and sentencing of Janet Theophilus Danjuma to five years’ imprisonment for investment fraud amounting to N22,350,000.

 

KANO FOCUS reports that Danjuma was convicted on Monday, February 16, 2026, by Justice S. M. Shuaibu of the Federal High Court>, sitting in Kano, on a one-count charge bordering on obtaining money by false pretence.

 

According to the charge, the defendant, a staff member of TAJBank Limited, Nai’bawa Branch, Kano, fraudulently obtained the sum of N22,350,000 from one Wade Bamaiyi in October 2024 under the guise of investing the funds in the bank’s CASA (Current Account Savings Account) programme.

 

The charge stated that the defendant knew the claim to be false and thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 1(1)(b) of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Fraud Related Offences Act, 2006, punishable under Section 1(3) of the same Act.

 

Upon arraignment, Danjuma pleaded guilty to the charge.

 

Following her plea, the prosecution counsel, Sadiq Huseini, reviewed the facts of the case, explaining how the defendant exploited the name of a legitimate financial product to deceive the victim into parting with the money. He urged the court to convict and sentence her in accordance with the law.

 

Justice Shuaibu subsequently convicted and sentenced Danjuma to five years’ imprisonment without the option of a fine.

 

Investigations by the EFCC revealed that the defendant diverted the entire sum into her personal account after falsely claiming she would invest the funds in the bank’s CASA programme. She was thereafter charged to court and convicted.

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending