News
Kwankwasiyya Scholars Assembly demands independent probe into Dadiyata’s disappearance
Ibrahim Khalil
The Kwankwasiyya Scholars Assembly (KSA) has called for a comprehensive, transparent, and independent investigation into the disappearance of Abubakar Idris, popularly known as Dadiyata.
In a statement issued on February 14, 2026, and signed by its National President, Dr. Mansur Hassan, the group said the renewed call became necessary following recent public comments attributed to former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, regarding the circumstances surrounding Dadiyata’s abduction.
According to the statement, El-Rufai reportedly described Dadiyata as a critic of the Kano State Government and suggested that the issue was linked to the administration of former Kano State Governor, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje. He was also quoted as saying that he did not know Dadiyata personally and that the Kaduna State Government only became aware of him after his family reported the abduction to the police.
KSA expressed concern over an additional allegation that three years after Dadiyata’s disappearance, a police officer allegedly posted from Kano to Ekiti confessed to an individual that he had been sent from Kano to abduct the activist and later expressed regret over the act. The group noted that although the claims remain unverified, they raise serious questions that require thorough scrutiny.
“The continued silence and lack of clarity surrounding Dadiyata’s fate have caused immense pain to his family, friends, and concerned Nigerians,” the statement read.
As scholars and citizens committed to justice, the rule of law, and democratic accountability, the Assembly stressed that every Nigerian life matters and that allegations of unlawful abduction must not go without proper investigation.
The group urged the Federal Government to constitute an independent investigative panel to examine all claims and counterclaims relating to the disappearance. It also called on the Nigeria Police Force and other relevant security agencies to reopen and intensify investigations into the matter.
KSA further appealed to individuals with credible information to come forward in the interest of justice and national conscience.
“Justice must not only be done but must be seen to be done. The integrity of our institutions and the protection of citizens’ rights depend on it,” the statement added.
The Assembly reaffirmed its commitment to truth, justice, and the rule of law, urging well-meaning Nigerians to support the demand for an impartial investigation to bring clarity and closure to the lingering case.
News
Kwankwasiyya movement announces key leadership appointments
Nura Abdullahi
The Kwankwasiyya Movement has announced the appointment of new officials into strategic leadership positions as part of efforts to strengthen its organisational structure and enhance grassroots mobilisation.
KANO FOCUS reports that the announcement was made in an official statement issued by Saifullahi Hassan, media aide to Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso.
According to the statement, the appointments are in line with the movement’s commitment to strengthening leadership coordination and advancing its ideals across all levels.
Those appointed include AVM Ibrahim Umaru as Chief Security Officer; Dr. Yusuf Kofar Mata as Secretary, State Caucus; Hon. Nasiru Sule Garo as Secretary, CRC; Hon. Sanusi Surajo as Director of Mobilisation; Hon. Adamu Kibiya as Secretary, Kano PROPA; and Hon. Mustapha Rabi’u Musa as Secretary, Kwankwasiyya.
The movement said the appointments reflect its dedication to effective organisation and strategic engagement, noting that the newly appointed officials are expected to contribute significantly to the advancement of its objectives.
It congratulated the appointees and expressed confidence in their ability to diligently discharge their responsibilities in service to the movement and its supporters.
News
Kwankwasiyya movement explains position on Kano bye-elections
Ibrahim Khalil
The Kwankwasiyya Movement has clarified its stance on the ongoing bye-elections in Kano Municipal and Ungogo State Assembly constituencies, saying its decisions were guided by compassion and principle rather than political expediency.
In a press statement issued on Saturday, and signed by its spokesperson, Habibu Sale Mohammed, Ph.D., the movement said the bye-elections followed the tragic death of the two lawmakers who represented the constituencies.
According to the statement, both deceased lawmakers were elected on the platform of the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) and were committed members of the Kwankwasiyya Movement until their passing.
The movement disclosed that its National Leader, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, in the spirit of compassion and continuity, supported the nomination of the deceased lawmakers’ children as the party’s flag bearers. The arrangement, it said, was adopted as a consensus during the mourning period.
However, the group noted that following the defection of Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf to the All Progressives Congress (APC), there were changes in the political landscape.
It alleged that on the eve of the final submission of candidates to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), new nominations were made under the APC platform, including the House Leader in Ungogo Local Government and a Senior Special Assistant to the Governor for Kano Municipal.
The statement further claimed that after public backlash and disapproval, there was a reversal leading to the adoption of the same individuals earlier nominated under the NNPP, but this time as APC candidates. It added that the nominees subsequently resigned their NNPP membership and moved to the APC.
Despite the development, the Kwankwasiyya Movement said its National Leader maintained his earlier position that the children of the deceased lawmakers should be allowed to return to the State Assembly, regardless of the platform on which they were contesting.
The movement stated that the NNPP deliberately refrained from substituting the candidates’ names after their resignation from the party, describing the action as evidence that there is only one recognised and legitimate NNPP structure in Kano State.
It added that the absence of NNPP candidates on the ballot for the bye-elections, as recognised by INEC, puts to rest speculation about parallel party structures in the state.
Reaffirming its core values of loyalty, justice and compassion, the Kwankwasiyya Movement urged the public to disregard what it described as attempts to distort facts for political advantage.
Headlines
Kano begins Ramadan food distribution as Gov. Yusuf constitutes feeding committee
Nasiru Yusuf Ibrahim
The Kano State Government has commenced the distribution of food items ahead of the 2026/1447AH Ramadan, following the approval of a Ramadan Feeding Programme Committee by Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf.
KANO FOCUS reports that the development was contained in a statement issued on Thursday by the Governor’s spokesperson, Sunusi Bature Dawakin Tofa.
According to the statement, food distribution began on Thursday, February 19, 2026, across 115 feeding centres located within the eight metropolitan local government areas of Kano State.
The governor said the initiative is designed to support the less privileged and ease the burden of fasting during the holy month of Ramadan. He urged members of the newly constituted committee to discharge their responsibilities with dedication, transparency and fear of God to ensure the success of the programme.
Committee Composition
The committee is chaired by the Commissioner for Religious Affairs, Ahmed Tijani Auwalu.
Other members include the Commissioner for Local Government, Muhammad Tajo Othman; Commissioner for Health, Dr. Abubakar Labaran Yusuf; Commissioner for Environment, Dr. Dahiru Hashim; Chairman of the Hisbah Board, Sheikh Ibrahim Shehu Maihula; and several special advisers and directors-general.
Also serving on the committee are the Accountant General of the State, Jamila Magaji Abdullahi; the Director General of the Hisbah Board, Abba Saidu Sufi; Director General, Media and Publicity, Sunusi Bature Dawakin Tofa; and Director General, Protocol, Abdullahi Ibrahim Rogo, among others.
All chairmen of the eight metropolitan local government areas—Tarauni, Fagge, Kano Municipal, Gwale, Nassarawa, Dala, Kumbotso and T/Wada—are members of the committee, alongside representatives from the Government House and the Zakkat Commission.
Akibu Isa Murtala, Special Adviser on Administration, will serve as Secretary, while Bilkisu Shehu Maimota, Permanent Secretary/AGS in the SSG’s Office, will serve as Co-Secretary.
Governor Yusuf reaffirmed that the Ramadan Feeding Programme remains a key social intervention initiative of his administration, aimed at promoting unity and providing relief to vulnerable residents across Kano State during the fasting period.
