Connect with us

Headlines

Buhari ordered the removal of Emir Sanusi–Kwankwaso

Published

on

Rabiu Kwankwaso

Nasiru Yusuf

A former governor of Kano Rabiu Kwankwaso has accused President Muhammadu Buhari of orchestrating the dethronement of Muhammad Sanusi lI as the Emir of Kano.

KANO FOCUS reports that Mr Sanusi was deposed as the Kano emir by Governor Abdullahi Ganduje on Monday and subsequently banished to Nasarawa state, where he is allegedly being detained.

Mr Kwankwaso who appointed Mr Sanusi ll as the 14th Emir of Kano in 2014 told BBC Hausa on Wednesday that “Kano state government officials have been saying they were directed to dethrone Mr Sanusi ll. He (Buhari) instructed them.”

He alleged that contrary to claims that Mr Buhari had intervened in the Kano emirate crisis, “we believe here in Kano that he (Buhari) interferes where he wishes.”

The former governor also said President Buhari “doesn’t interfere where his intervention is needed, but interferes on issues he is supposed to be neutral about.”

The federal government is yet to officially react to the dethronemment of Mr Sanusi. However Mr Buhari had earlier said he did not have the constitutional powers to intervene in the crisis between Mr Ganduje and Mr Sanusi.

Mr Kwankwaso described the removal of Sanusi as a sad incident to Kano, Nigeria and the entire world, adding that “the emir (Sanusi) is a global citizen.”

According to him no responsible government would dethrone Mr Sanusi.

The former governor also dismissed allegations that he queried Mr Sanusi twice during his tenure.

“I have never issued a query to His Highness the Emir of Kano,” he said.

The opposition leader also denied the allegation that Kwankwasiyya loyalists have contributed to fueling the crisis between Messrs Ganduje and Sanusi.

He said to the best of his knowledge, Mr Sanusi’s sin against Mr Ganduje was his statement that whoever won the 2019 governorship election in Kano should be given his mandate.

Mr Kwankwaso also lamented what he described as the humiliation of the deposed monarch as disrespect to Kano people.

Headlines

APC chairman reaffirms 60/40 leadership formula during visit to Gov. Yusuf

Published

on

 

Nasiru Yusuf Ibrahim

 

The National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, has reaffirmed the partyโ€™s 60/40 leadership-sharing formula between new defectors and existing members in Kano State.

 

KANO FOCUS reports that Prof Yilwatda made the declaration during a courtesy visit to the Governor of Kano State, Abba Kabir Yusuf, where he expressed satisfaction with what he described as an impressive turnout of party supporters and leaders.

 

The development was disclosed in a statement issued on Monday by the Governorโ€™s spokesperson, Sunusi Bature Dawakin Tofa.

 

According to the APC National Chairman, the 60/40 arrangement was designed to promote inclusiveness, unity, and effective participation of all stakeholders in party affairs and governance activities.

 

He said he was deeply impressed by the large number of party faithful who attended the meeting, noting that the turnout reflected a high level of enthusiasm, unity, and commitment among APC members in Kano State.

 

Yilwatda added that the strong gathering was a positive signal that would further strengthen support for President Bola Tinubu and boost his prospects in the forthcoming general elections.

 

He also commended Alhaji Yusuf Gawuna and Deputy Senate President, Barau Jibrin, for setting aside personal ambitions and aligning with the Governorโ€™s vision for the party in Kano.

 

The APC Chairman further praised former Kano State Governor and ex-APC National Chairman, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, for his leadership and contributions to the partyโ€™s growth and cohesion in the state.

 

In his response, Governor Yusuf thanked the APC leadership for the visit and for their continued support toward unity and peace in Kano State.

 

He reaffirmed his commitment to working collaboratively with party members to ensure that the state remains united and prosperous, in alignment with the Renewed Hope Agenda of President Tinubu.

 

Governor Yusuf noted that the strong turnout and show of solidarity demonstrated that APC members in Kano are ready to work together for the progress of the party and the overall development of the state.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Ex-FRSC officer calls for relocation of Singer Market after recurrent fires

Published

on

 

Bosede Olufemi

 

A retired Assistant Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Alhaji Kabiru Yusuf-Nadabo, has called for the relocation of Singer Market in Kano to the Dangwaro International Market following repeated fire incidents at the facility.

KANO FOCUS reports that Yusuf-Nadabo, who is also a chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC) from Jigawa State, made the call in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Kano on Monday.

He said the relocation had become necessary to address persistent fire outbreaks that have plagued the market over the past 15 years.

According to him, he was at the scene of the latest fire incident on February 14 from 4 p.m. to 8 a.m., where he observed serious challenges in accessing the area during rescue operations.

โ€œIt took about 12 hours to put out the fire. The current location of the market is not conducive for heavy-duty and articulated vehicles, posing serious safety risks,โ€ he said.

He noted that the marketโ€™s environment makes it difficult for articulated vehicles and fire service trucks to move freely, especially during emergencies.

Yusuf-Nadabo added that nearly 100 trucks enter the market daily to offload goods, contributing to congestion. He said major adjoining roads, including Bello Road and Ibrahim Taiwo Road, are often blocked, compounding traffic problems and hindering emergency response.

โ€œBased on my experience in traffic management and public safety, relocating the market to Dangwaro International Market will significantly reduce congestion and help put an end to recurring fire outbreaks,โ€ he stated.

The retired FRSC officer urged the Kano State Government to act urgently in the interest of public safety and sustainable urban development.

Meanwhile, KANO FOCUS reports that the recent fire destroyed goods and property worth over โ‚ฆ5 billion, affecting more than 1,000 businesses and leaving seven persons missing.

The Chairman of the market, Alhaji Junaid Zakari, disclosed the extent of the damage to NAN in Kano on Sunday.

Singer Market has witnessed several fire outbreaks in recent years. A massive blaze occurred at the market on February 2, 2026, affecting numerous shops before firefighters and emergency agencies brought it under control, with no reported loss of lives.

In November 2025, a dawn fire razed 44 shops, while in March 2023, over 100 shops were destroyed. Similarly, in November 2022, a warehouse and goods worth over โ‚ฆ100 million were consumed by fire.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Tinubu sympathises with Kano Traders, orders probe into Singer Market fire

Published

on

 

Nasiru Yusuf Ibrahim

 

President Bola Tinubu has sympathised with traders and residents of Kano State following the devastating fire outbreak at Singer Market over the weekend.

 

KANO FOCUS reports that the fire, which reportedly started on Saturday evening and raged into Sunday morning, caused extensive damage to the popular food market, leaving many traders counting heavy losses.

 

In a statement issued on Sunday by his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, the President described the incident as tragic and deeply concerning.

 

According to the statement, President Tinubu had earlier contacted the Governor of Kano State, Abba Kabir Yusuf, to obtain a situation report on the extent of the damage and ongoing response efforts.

 

The President expressed particular concern that the latest fire occurred less than two weeks after another inferno destroyed dozens of shops and properties at the same market.

 

He consequently directed that a comprehensive investigation be carried out to determine the causes of the recurring fires, which have repeatedly left traders in distress.

 

President Tinubu assured the affected traders of the Federal Governmentโ€™s concern and emphasised the need for preventive measures to avert future occurrences.

Continue Reading

Trending