Connect with us

Headlines

Distributors decry cement price increase, as BUA adds N200

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

Distributors and Customers in Kano state have expressed concern and dissatisfaction over the increase in the price of cement by BUA Cement Plc.

KANO FOCUS reports that the company has reportedly increased the ex-factory price of its cement product by N200, that is from N2,800 to N3,000 per bag over the weekend, a development that elicited fear in the minds of the people in the state, especially the end users.

BUA cement had in various statements issued between April 24 and June 18 this year, had refuted any claims of increase in the ex-factory price of its cement products by N300 per bag.

However, the recent development had indicated that the company had already increased N200 on a bag of a cement to distributors, causing fears that price of the commodity would soon skyrocket from its present N3,600 to N3, 800.

An investigation conducted in Kano on Wednesday indicated that both cement dealers and costumers are in panic that the increase in the price would add to the existing economic hardship.

A cement dealer in Kano, Musa Shehu, who sells cement at Sallari quarters, said he heard about the increase in the price of the commodity but it has not yet come down to the sellers.

According to him, a bag of cement is still sold at N3,550 and N3,600 so far, expressing fear that the increase would soon be effecttive.

He pointed out that the price increase is now at the level of distributors, adding that that it would come down to the retailers level and would negatively affect market.

Shehu stated that the increase in the price of the BUA cement by N200 would indeed inflict hardship on buyers and sellers, noting that the commodity is now available but if the stock runs out, the price increase would definitely be effective.

“Yes, we heard that the BUA cement company has increased N200 on the price of cement. But, for now, the price of the commodity is still N3,600.

” However, the price now has affected the major dealers but I’m sure it will come down to the retailers. We therefore call on the BUA management to review this decision and reverse the price because it would affect us, as customers will stop buying from us,” he said.

Another retailer, Auwalu Umar, noted that cement normally becomes available and cheaper during rainy season, especially in northern Nigeria, lamenting that the BUA cement company should not have increased the price in the wake of economic hardship.

“Let me tell you, if this increase is effected, i swear to God customers will stop patronizing it. If they stop, we are the one to be at a loss, not them.

“Considering the economic hardship Nigerians are experiencing, increasing the price of cement in this trying times is a bad idea. Let me use this opportunity to call on Alhaji Abdussamad to consider our plea and cancel this increase in price, otherwise, we will loose a number of customers,” he claimed.

On his part, a retailer, who pleaded for anonymity, lamented how BUA would increase the price of cement without considering the common Nigerians that buy the product for building.

According to him, the price increase would not stop at N200 at the distributors level, noting that it could go up to N4, 000 at the retailers level.

He noted that although the increase is not effected so far, but it will definitely go up when distributors run out of cement stock.

Reacting to the development, a major distributor of BUA cement in Kano, who preferred not to be mentioned, expressed anger over the development.

According to him, common citizens would be the ones to bear the brunt of the price increase, noting that retailers would also be affected as they might loose many customers.

The distributor wondered how BUA cement broke its promise it made months ago not to increase the price of the product, noting that the decision always affects end users.

“Ironically, the company arbitrarily increased the price without consulting distributors like us who are closer to the common citizens. BUA made promises that the company will not increase cement price, but it has now increased N200. This is a breach of business trust.

“My concern is that this decision always affect end users and when it affects end user, we too will also be affected.

” What baffles me is that, whenever these companies decided to increase a price of commodity, they will do it arbitrarily and will hardly reverse it,” he lamented.

The major distributor therefore called on federal government to intervene in order to end the suffering of Nigerians.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

Kano is the biggest sesame market in Nigeria – Ganduje

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf Gawuna

Nasiru Yusuf

Governor Dr.Abdullahi Umar Ganduje has said that Kano with its commercial potentials being the biggest agricultural commodity hub in Africa is also the biggest Sesame market in Nigeria.

KANO FOCUS reports that the Governor represented by his Deputy Nasiru Yusuf Gawuna stated this on thursday in Kano while declaring open a Sesame seed conference with the theme “Developing the Sesame seed value chain for sustainable growth” organised by the National Sesame Seed Association in collaboration with Kano State Government.

Nasiru Yusuf Gawuna

According to him the conference will create an avenue for stakeholders in the industry to identify the most effective ways to promote value chain development in the Sesame seed sector and to also discuss mutually beneficial trade opportunity so as to improve economic development and livelihood of smallholder farmers.

The Governor described sesame seed as the most sought cash crop in terms of export value in Nigeria, being one of the fastest growing sectors due to its foreign exchange earning and as a main source of income for about 5 million smallholder farmers.

He however assured that his administration is committed to towards enhancing the production of sesame both in terms of quantity and quality through financing,improved techniques and productivity.

The Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Muhammad Sabo Nanono in his remarks highlighted the interventions given to the National Sesame Seed Association in the development of the sub-sector include the distribution of high yielding black,white and brown variety sesame seeds to boost productivity.

Alhaji Sabo Nanono

Similarly, he said 20 sesame cleaning machines were also distributed, in addition 2 model sesame processing centres were established in Nassarawa and Kano States respectively.

On her part, the Minister of state for Industries,Trade and Investment Maryam Katagum represented by a Deputy Director Irimiya Kaura explained that the ministry is committed towards providing enabling environment that will enhance the competitiveness of Nigerian agricultural commodities in the global trade.

She also revealed that in continuation of developing sesame seed,the ministry is implementing a robust agribusiness and industry development initiative to draw investment to the non oil sector in the country.

Speaking earlier the President of the National Sesame Seed Association of Nigeria, Sherif Balogun stated that for the past 5years they have been working assiduously to promote the sesame seed value chain as well as increasing the production from 300,000 metric tons to over 500,000 tons.

He therefore called on the public to engage in massive sesame production and processing in order to benefit from government policies like the Anchor Borrowers Programme.

While appreciating the Kano State Government for partnering with them in organising the conference,he also commended Governor Ganduje for his support and effort towards making Kano a destination for agribusiness investment.

Munir Babba Dan’agundi

The event was attended by the Jigawa State Commissioner of Agriculture Muhammad Alhassan who represented Governor Badaru Abubakar, Chaiman House of Representatives Committee on Agricultural Institutions Mannir Babba Dan’ agundi and other stakeholders.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Kano refutes trending story on women driving ban

Published

on

Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje

Nasiru Yusuf

Kano state government has described as fallacious a trending story on social media platforms on a purported plan to officially disallow women regardless of any faith from getting behind the wheel.

KANO FOCUS reports that the state commissioner for Information, Muhammad Garba who made the clarification in a statement issued on Thursday, said government had at no time contemplate on the matter.

He said the story, which could not be traced to any credible source, was nothing but the imaginary thinking of the authors.

“The trending story lacks any credibility and that is why it is wholly attributed to a source that cannot be substantiated,’’ it added.

Mr Garba pointed out that if at all there was such plan, the state government does not have to be involved in any secretive meeting to decide on a critical issue that has to do its teeming populace.

The commissioner stated further that even Saudi Arabia which for decades had laws that sanctioned women from driving has, after all, lifted the ban in 2018.

He said it was interesting that some of the scholars quoted to have supported the alleged ban have already dissociated themselves from the story.

Clerics denied the story

Earlie on Wednesday, some clerics alleged to have floated the ban Salisu Shehu, Abdallah Gadonkaya and Sani Rijiyar Lemo have all refuted the story.

In a text message sent to KANO FOCUS Shehu described the story as ‘completely false and mischief.’

“It is completely false. It is a mischief. I think some wicked people are desperate about causing unnecessary confusion, controversies and disaffection among Kano Scholars,” he said.

Rijiyar Lemo alleged that the story was concocted by Shiites who were not happy with the outcome of clerics debate with controversial Kano preacher Abduljabbar Kabara.

“Our attention has been drawn to a fake news in circulation, claiming that some ulama in Kano, including my humble self, have tabled a plan to stop women from driving in the state.

“This story, in all certainty, was hatched and being peddled by some Shi’ite elements, who are not happy with the outcome of AbdulJabbar’s saga.

“You are urged to discard this false story. May the Almighty protect us from the evils of our enemies,” Rijiyar Lemo said.

Gadonkaya, on a Facebook post described the story as ‘fake news’.

“I, Abdullah Usman Umar Gadon Kaya strongly say that this is a fake news. I don’t have any hands in it. It’s the act of enemies who want to  crack peace in our dear state (Kano) and Nigeria at large,” Gadonkaya said.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Abduljabbar Kabara: Lawyers demand audiovisual evidence as government amends charges

Published

on

Aminu Abdullahi

Lawyers defending Kano cleric Abduljabbar Kabara over blasphemy and incitement charges have urged the court to compel the prosecution to present audiovisual and documentary evidence.

KANO FOCUS recalls that Mr Kabara has been arraigned before an Upper Sharia Court at Kofar Kudu, Kano City presided by Ibrahim Sarki Yola.

Mr. Kabara’s lead counsel Sale Muhammad Bakaro entered the plea at the resumed sitting of the court on Wednesday morning.

He petitioned the court to compel the prosecution to present its evidence in the next sitting.

Abduljabbar accuses Ganduje of linking him with Boko Haram, Maitatsine

Meanwhile prosecuting counsel Aisha Muhammad pleaded for an adjournment to enable the Kano state government to amend the charges presented in the First Information Report.

The presiding judge Mr Yola adjourned the trial to August 18, 2021.

Continue Reading

Trending