Connect with us

Headlines

NCC’s committee on e-Fraud holds second meeting

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

The 26-man Committee inaugurated by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) to develop a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on how relevant public and private organisations can collaborate to combat electronic frauds perpetrated through telecommunications platforms, have met for the second time after its inauguration.

The Committee’s meeting which held at the Communications and Digital Economy Complex, Mbora District, Abuja on Thursday, was sequel to the first meeting held in January 30, this year.

The recent meeting was attended by representatives of all the 26 member organisations that formed the Committee.

The Committee, during the meeting took inputs and submissions from four Sub-Committees earlier formed to work on different issues bordering on e-fraud curtailing and subjected the submissions to critical reviews.

The working groups include the Financial Sub-Committee, Security Sub-Committee, Regulatory Sub-Committee, and Legal Sub-Committee.

In turns, each submission was evaluated from different perspectives, including considerations about which stakeholder takes responsibility when a consumer becomes a victim of electronic fraud.

The Committee also discussed how best to address the challenge of Subscriber Identification Module (SIM) swap, the security of telecoms and banking infrastructure, cost of accessing financial transactions, and the processes for determining who takes the responsibility to compensate the consumer in case of any electronic fraud that cannot be blamed on the consumer.

Speaking after the Committee’s deliberations, Aliyu Ibrahim, Head, Consumer Protection and Advocacy, NCC, who chaired the meeting, said, “Today, we have advanced further in our deliberations towards producing a meaningful MoU that speaks to our terms of references in our collective efforts to combat the national challenge of e-fraud, using telecoms platforms.”

He said more work has also been given to each of the sub-committees “with respect to the submission each committee made at today’s meeting and we are expected to reconvene later in April, 2020.”

It would be recalled that the NCC, in demonstration of its “multi-stakeholder spirit’ and as an eloquent demonstration of its commitment to strengthening consumer protection, had, in November 2019, inaugurated the 26-member multi-sectoral Committee to combat the issue of financial frauds that occurred through telecoms or digital platforms.

The Committee membership was drawn from many organisations, including the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), NCC, Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC), Nigerian Inter-Bank Settlement System (NIBSS), National Identity Management Commission (NIMC), and the Association of Licensed Telecom Operators of Nigeria (ALTON).

Other organisations with representation on the Committee include banks, security agencies such as the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA), the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Independent Corrupt Practices other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), Nigeria Police Force (NPF), Nigeria Financial Intelligence Unit (NFIU) and the Federal Ministry of Justice.

At the inauguration of the Committee in Abuja last year, Prof. Umar Danbatta, Executive Vice Chairman (EVC), of NCC stated that the Committee is to develop an MoU on the resolutions from the Stakeholders Forum on Financial Fraud committed via telecommunication platforms.

According to the EVC, cybercriminals, hackers, and other unscrupulous elements are exploiting platform vulnerabilities to gain illegal access to bank accounts through phishing and other criminal strategies.

“These include fraudulent SIM swaps to bypass authentication systems, regardless of whether the transactions are conducted via mobile phone, desktop browser, or point of purchase. We hope that the MoU, when ready, would help to mitigate all these challenges for the consumers,” the EVC stated.

Prof. Danbatta was represented at the 2019 inauguration of the Committee by the Executive Commissioner, Stakeholder Management, NCC, Adeleke Ade.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

APC chairman reaffirms 60/40 leadership formula during visit to Gov. Yusuf

Published

on

 

Nasiru Yusuf Ibrahim

 

The National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, has reaffirmed the party’s 60/40 leadership-sharing formula between new defectors and existing members in Kano State.

 

KANO FOCUS reports that Prof Yilwatda made the declaration during a courtesy visit to the Governor of Kano State, Abba Kabir Yusuf, where he expressed satisfaction with what he described as an impressive turnout of party supporters and leaders.

 

The development was disclosed in a statement issued on Monday by the Governor’s spokesperson, Sunusi Bature Dawakin Tofa.

 

According to the APC National Chairman, the 60/40 arrangement was designed to promote inclusiveness, unity, and effective participation of all stakeholders in party affairs and governance activities.

 

He said he was deeply impressed by the large number of party faithful who attended the meeting, noting that the turnout reflected a high level of enthusiasm, unity, and commitment among APC members in Kano State.

 

Yilwatda added that the strong gathering was a positive signal that would further strengthen support for President Bola Tinubu and boost his prospects in the forthcoming general elections.

 

He also commended Alhaji Yusuf Gawuna and Deputy Senate President, Barau Jibrin, for setting aside personal ambitions and aligning with the Governor’s vision for the party in Kano.

 

The APC Chairman further praised former Kano State Governor and ex-APC National Chairman, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, for his leadership and contributions to the party’s growth and cohesion in the state.

 

In his response, Governor Yusuf thanked the APC leadership for the visit and for their continued support toward unity and peace in Kano State.

 

He reaffirmed his commitment to working collaboratively with party members to ensure that the state remains united and prosperous, in alignment with the Renewed Hope Agenda of President Tinubu.

 

Governor Yusuf noted that the strong turnout and show of solidarity demonstrated that APC members in Kano are ready to work together for the progress of the party and the overall development of the state.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Ex-FRSC officer calls for relocation of Singer Market after recurrent fires

Published

on

 

Bosede Olufemi

 

A retired Assistant Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Alhaji Kabiru Yusuf-Nadabo, has called for the relocation of Singer Market in Kano to the Dangwaro International Market following repeated fire incidents at the facility.

KANO FOCUS reports that Yusuf-Nadabo, who is also a chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC) from Jigawa State, made the call in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Kano on Monday.

He said the relocation had become necessary to address persistent fire outbreaks that have plagued the market over the past 15 years.

According to him, he was at the scene of the latest fire incident on February 14 from 4 p.m. to 8 a.m., where he observed serious challenges in accessing the area during rescue operations.

“It took about 12 hours to put out the fire. The current location of the market is not conducive for heavy-duty and articulated vehicles, posing serious safety risks,” he said.

He noted that the market’s environment makes it difficult for articulated vehicles and fire service trucks to move freely, especially during emergencies.

Yusuf-Nadabo added that nearly 100 trucks enter the market daily to offload goods, contributing to congestion. He said major adjoining roads, including Bello Road and Ibrahim Taiwo Road, are often blocked, compounding traffic problems and hindering emergency response.

“Based on my experience in traffic management and public safety, relocating the market to Dangwaro International Market will significantly reduce congestion and help put an end to recurring fire outbreaks,” he stated.

The retired FRSC officer urged the Kano State Government to act urgently in the interest of public safety and sustainable urban development.

Meanwhile, KANO FOCUS reports that the recent fire destroyed goods and property worth over ₦5 billion, affecting more than 1,000 businesses and leaving seven persons missing.

The Chairman of the market, Alhaji Junaid Zakari, disclosed the extent of the damage to NAN in Kano on Sunday.

Singer Market has witnessed several fire outbreaks in recent years. A massive blaze occurred at the market on February 2, 2026, affecting numerous shops before firefighters and emergency agencies brought it under control, with no reported loss of lives.

In November 2025, a dawn fire razed 44 shops, while in March 2023, over 100 shops were destroyed. Similarly, in November 2022, a warehouse and goods worth over ₦100 million were consumed by fire.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Tinubu sympathises with Kano Traders, orders probe into Singer Market fire

Published

on

 

Nasiru Yusuf Ibrahim

 

President Bola Tinubu has sympathised with traders and residents of Kano State following the devastating fire outbreak at Singer Market over the weekend.

 

KANO FOCUS reports that the fire, which reportedly started on Saturday evening and raged into Sunday morning, caused extensive damage to the popular food market, leaving many traders counting heavy losses.

 

In a statement issued on Sunday by his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, the President described the incident as tragic and deeply concerning.

 

According to the statement, President Tinubu had earlier contacted the Governor of Kano State, Abba Kabir Yusuf, to obtain a situation report on the extent of the damage and ongoing response efforts.

 

The President expressed particular concern that the latest fire occurred less than two weeks after another inferno destroyed dozens of shops and properties at the same market.

 

He consequently directed that a comprehensive investigation be carried out to determine the causes of the recurring fires, which have repeatedly left traders in distress.

 

President Tinubu assured the affected traders of the Federal Government’s concern and emphasised the need for preventive measures to avert future occurrences.

Continue Reading

Trending