Connect with us

News

BUK expels 24 students for falsifying qualifications

Published

on

Maude Rabiu Gwadabe

Bayero University Kano (BUK) has expelled 24 mostly final year students for falsifying their entry qualifications.

KANO TODAY reports that their expulsion was approved by the university senate at its 374th meeting held on Wednesday July 31, 2019.

A statement signed by the Director, examinations, admissions and records (DEAR), Amina Umar Abdullahi, said the students were expelled following a report submitted by the senate committee on entry qualification irregularities.

Mrs Abdullahi stated that six other students who had been earlier withdrawn due to poor academic performance or failure to write exams were also found to have presented fake results.

BUK receives TV license

NOTAP empowers BUK to patent research results

Nigerian universities will never reach world class – IBK

Another student of BSc Mass Communication was also withdrawn for presenting a cancelled NECO result, the statement added.

A breakdown of the expelled students indicates that Faculty of Education had the highest figure of 10, followed by the Faculty of Social and Management Sciences with nine.

The Faculties of Law, Agriculture, Science, Engineering and Arts and Islamic Studies had one student each.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

Kano is the biggest sesame market in Nigeria – Ganduje

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf Gawuna

Nasiru Yusuf

Governor Dr.Abdullahi Umar Ganduje has said that Kano with its commercial potentials being the biggest agricultural commodity hub in Africa is also the biggest Sesame market in Nigeria.

KANO FOCUS reports that the Governor represented by his Deputy Nasiru Yusuf Gawuna stated this on thursday in Kano while declaring open a Sesame seed conference with the theme “Developing the Sesame seed value chain for sustainable growth” organised by the National Sesame Seed Association in collaboration with Kano State Government.

Nasiru Yusuf Gawuna

According to him the conference will create an avenue for stakeholders in the industry to identify the most effective ways to promote value chain development in the Sesame seed sector and to also discuss mutually beneficial trade opportunity so as to improve economic development and livelihood of smallholder farmers.

The Governor described sesame seed as the most sought cash crop in terms of export value in Nigeria, being one of the fastest growing sectors due to its foreign exchange earning and as a main source of income for about 5 million smallholder farmers.

He however assured that his administration is committed to towards enhancing the production of sesame both in terms of quantity and quality through financing,improved techniques and productivity.

The Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Muhammad Sabo Nanono in his remarks highlighted the interventions given to the National Sesame Seed Association in the development of the sub-sector include the distribution of high yielding black,white and brown variety sesame seeds to boost productivity.

Alhaji Sabo Nanono

Similarly, he said 20 sesame cleaning machines were also distributed, in addition 2 model sesame processing centres were established in Nassarawa and Kano States respectively.

On her part, the Minister of state for Industries,Trade and Investment Maryam Katagum represented by a Deputy Director Irimiya Kaura explained that the ministry is committed towards providing enabling environment that will enhance the competitiveness of Nigerian agricultural commodities in the global trade.

She also revealed that in continuation of developing sesame seed,the ministry is implementing a robust agribusiness and industry development initiative to draw investment to the non oil sector in the country.

Speaking earlier the President of the National Sesame Seed Association of Nigeria, Sherif Balogun stated that for the past 5years they have been working assiduously to promote the sesame seed value chain as well as increasing the production from 300,000 metric tons to over 500,000 tons.

He therefore called on the public to engage in massive sesame production and processing in order to benefit from government policies like the Anchor Borrowers Programme.

While appreciating the Kano State Government for partnering with them in organising the conference,he also commended Governor Ganduje for his support and effort towards making Kano a destination for agribusiness investment.

Munir Babba Dan’agundi

The event was attended by the Jigawa State Commissioner of Agriculture Muhammad Alhassan who represented Governor Badaru Abubakar, Chaiman House of Representatives Committee on Agricultural Institutions Mannir Babba Dan’ agundi and other stakeholders.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Kano refutes trending story on women driving ban

Published

on

Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje

Nasiru Yusuf

Kano state government has described as fallacious a trending story on social media platforms on a purported plan to officially disallow women regardless of any faith from getting behind the wheel.

KANO FOCUS reports that the state commissioner for Information, Muhammad Garba who made the clarification in a statement issued on Thursday, said government had at no time contemplate on the matter.

He said the story, which could not be traced to any credible source, was nothing but the imaginary thinking of the authors.

“The trending story lacks any credibility and that is why it is wholly attributed to a source that cannot be substantiated,’’ it added.

Mr Garba pointed out that if at all there was such plan, the state government does not have to be involved in any secretive meeting to decide on a critical issue that has to do its teeming populace.

The commissioner stated further that even Saudi Arabia which for decades had laws that sanctioned women from driving has, after all, lifted the ban in 2018.

He said it was interesting that some of the scholars quoted to have supported the alleged ban have already dissociated themselves from the story.

Clerics denied the story

Earlie on Wednesday, some clerics alleged to have floated the ban Salisu Shehu, Abdallah Gadonkaya and Sani Rijiyar Lemo have all refuted the story.

In a text message sent to KANO FOCUS Shehu described the story as ‘completely false and mischief.’

“It is completely false. It is a mischief. I think some wicked people are desperate about causing unnecessary confusion, controversies and disaffection among Kano Scholars,” he said.

Rijiyar Lemo alleged that the story was concocted by Shiites who were not happy with the outcome of clerics debate with controversial Kano preacher Abduljabbar Kabara.

“Our attention has been drawn to a fake news in circulation, claiming that some ulama in Kano, including my humble self, have tabled a plan to stop women from driving in the state.

“This story, in all certainty, was hatched and being peddled by some Shi’ite elements, who are not happy with the outcome of AbdulJabbar’s saga.

“You are urged to discard this false story. May the Almighty protect us from the evils of our enemies,” Rijiyar Lemo said.

Gadonkaya, on a Facebook post described the story as ‘fake news’.

“I, Abdullah Usman Umar Gadon Kaya strongly say that this is a fake news. I don’t have any hands in it. It’s the act of enemies who want to  crack peace in our dear state (Kano) and Nigeria at large,” Gadonkaya said.

Continue Reading

News

Court sends undergraduate to Prison for N1m fraud in Kano

Published

on

Nosa Ekhatoro

Nasiru Yusuf

The Kano Zonal Command of the  Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC today has on Wednesday secured the conviction of one Nosa Ekhatoro before Justice Hafsat Yahaya Sani of the Kano State High Court.

KANO FOCUS reports that the convict was arraigned on a two count charge of conspiracy and theft to the tune of one million Naira.

The convict’s journey to prison started when the Commission received petition alleging that he and one Ogie (who is still at large) conspired and stole one million Naira from the bank account of the complainant through hacking.

Count two of the charge read that “You Nosa Ekhatoro on the 9th of November, 2020 at Kano within the jurisdiction of the Kano State High Court committed theft of the sum of N1, 000,000 by taking it out of the possession of Nagarba General Enterprises from his bank account domiciled in UBA and you thereby committed an offence punishable under section 287 of the Penal Code”.

The convict pleaded guilty to the two counts.

In view of his plea, counsel for the prosecution, Douglas Gift, urged the court to convict him accordingly.

Subsequently, Justice Sani convicted and sentenced the defendant to six months imprisonment with the option of N100, 000 one hundred thousand Naira fine.

Continue Reading

Trending