Connect with us

Headlines

Kano Emirate, Maja Sirdi disagree over sack

Published

on

By Mukhtar Yahay Usman

Officials of the Kano Emirate Council and Maja Sirdin Sarkin Kano, Alhaji Auwalu Idi have disagreed after the latter claimed to have been sacked by the former following his celebration of Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje’s victory at the election petition tribunal.

Media reports on Sunday have claimed that the Emir of Kano Muhammad Sanusi II had ordered the sack of  Mr Idi, for welcoming Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje to Kano, following his victory at the election petition tribunal.

According to the report, Emir Sanusi was alleged to have asked Mr Idi to vacate his residence, located within the palace premises, which he has been occupying for more than 30 years.

Quoting sources, the news story further claimed that the monarch was angry with Maja Sirdi over his action, which he saw as an expression of “disloyalty”.

The report further asserted that Emir Sanusi had “warned against attending any government function which the Emir did not approve of.”

However, while Maja Sirdi insists that he has been removed from office and also asked to vacate his residence at Kofar Kwaru, the Chief of Staff to Emir Sanusi, Munir Sanusi has denied Mr Idi’s claim, saying the emirate only retrieved the keys to the royal stables from Maja Sirdi.

Speaking to Kano Focus, Mr Idi said he had been ordered by Shamakin Kano, Wada Jalo, on behalf of the emirate, to hand over the keys to the royal stables and to vacate his residence.

He said he was punished after he expressed support to Mr Ganduje, during a rally to celebrate the tribunal ruling affirming the victory of the governor.

“I attended the governor’s rally and even distributed water bottles to his supporters to show our happiness with Ganduje’s victory. I even decorated the governor with a robe at the event. But officials of the emirate council were not happy with my action and decided to punish me,” he said.

“After the rally, I was summoned by Shamaki, who asked me to go into the royal stables to count all the royal items inside them. After taking the inventory and finding everything intact, he demanded the keys to the stables and ordered me to vacate my residence immediately. I am now searching for a house before moving out,” he added.

But, Munir Sunusi, chief of staff to the Emir, denied the sacking of Maja Sirdi from his position.

He however, confirmed that the keys to the royal stables were retrieved from Maja Sirdi, after some saddles were stolen.

“I don’t know anything about claims of sacking Maja Sirdi. But we have retrieved keys from him after some of the Emir’s saddles were stolen. In fact, the Emir has nothing to do with this issue because Shamaki is the supervisor of Maja Sirdi and other courtiers.

“Shamaki took action because he had been receiving complaints about missing royal accessories for sometime. That is why he asked Maja Sirdi to handover his keys pending investigation. So, it does not make sense for anyone to claim that we sacked anybody just because he celebrated a governor,” he said.

“Nobody asked Maja Sirdi to leave his residence. He is still living in his house and still retains his position,” Mr Sunusi, who is also the Dan Majen Kano added.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

84 + = 94

Headlines

Kano APC denies PDP claims of plot to change Appeal Court judges

Published

on

Abba Ganduje

Mukhtar Yahya Usman

The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kano state has denied allegations by the opposition Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP) of a plan to influence the choice of Court of Appeal judges who will preside over the Kano governorship election appeal.

KANO FOCUS recalls that the PDP made the allegation in a statement issued on Sunday in Kano.

Kano state commissioner for information Muhammad Garba characterized the PDP allegations as “blatant lies intended to blackmail the Appeal Court as it clearly indicated that the opposition party is jittery, confused and afraid of possible loss at the Court”.

Mr Garba, in a statement issued on Monday alleged that the PDP usually spread lies whenever it realizes that it was about to lose an election.

He said the APC and its candidate have confidence in the outcome of the Appeal Court judgment and they are not planning to disrupt the judicial process.

He added that the Kano state government will not allow the PDP to incite violence through misguided statements.

 

Continue Reading

Headlines

PDP accuses APC, Ganduje of plotting to change Kano guber appeal judges

Published

on

Abba-Ganduje

By Mukhtar Yahya Usman

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has accused the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) and Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of plotting to change the judges that have been already assigned to preside over the Kano state Governorship Election Appeals Panel.

Kano Focus recalls that the PDP and its candidate in Kano Abba Yusuf have filed an appeal at the Kaduna Division of the Appeal Court, after their petition challenging the victory of Mr Ganduje, was dismissed by the Kano Election Tribunal led by Justice Halima Shamaki.

In a statement on Sunday, signed by its National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, the PDP alleged that there are “plots to replace the judges with pliable ones, who have been compromised and briefed to alter justice and do the bidding of the APC and Governor Ganduje.”

“The PDP invites Nigerians to note that the sitting of the panel, which was moved from Monday, November 11 to Tuesday November 12, 2019 due to the public holiday on Monday, had been adjourned indefinitely.

“We have reports that this was due to pressure being mounted by the APC and agents of Governor Ganduje to alter the list of the judges.

“Our party has also been reliably informed that the indefinite adjournment was to enable the replacement of the already announced judges with pliable officials who will manipulate the judicial process in favour of the APC,” Mr Ologbondiyan said.

The opposition party also claimed that even before the commencement of the appeal hearing, supporters of Mr Ganduje have already started celebrating victory.

“Already, the supporters of Governor Ganduje are in jubilant mode, claiming that they have moved beyond the Court of Appeal, even when the panel is yet to commence sitting.

“Nigerians will recall that similar scenario played out during the composition of the Kano Governorship Election Petition Tribunal, when the initial judges were changed after which the judgment went in favour of Ganduje and the APC to the chagrin of the people.

“With the on-going plot by the APC, Ganduje’s supporters have been going about boasting that the Court of Appeal judges, that were already announced and expected the commence sitting on Tuesday, will be changed to suit the interest of the APC and Governor Ganduje,” the statement said.

“The PDP cautions that any change in the already listed judges could trigger tension and crisis in the state, given the demand of the people for justice.

“Our party therefore calls on the President of the Court of Appeal, Justice Zainab Bulkachuwa, not to allow anybody to draw her into the arena by ensuring that the already constituted panel is not in anyway altered,” it added.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Kano kidney patient, who sought N15m for transplant, dies

Published

on

By Nasiru Yusuf

A kidney disease patient, Mahmud Aminu Daneji who sought N15 million medical assistance for transplant in India has died.

Mr Daneji popularly known as ” Mamuda Elder” died on Sunday at the age of 46 and left behind a wife and a son.

He died while seeking N15 million assistance to enable him travel to India for kidney transplant.

His funeral prayer is scheduled to take place on Monday morning at Layin Bata, Gadon Kaya quarters in Kano city.

In an interview recently, Mr Daneji had told Kano Focus that his two kidneys failed simultaneously in 2001 after he was struck by severe hypertension.

“I used to be a very healthy and productive man before hypertension struck me down. I was living my life happily when suddenly my blood pressure shot to over 220 in March 2001,” he had said.

In October 2006, Mr Daneji had a successful kidney transplant, which worked for four years before it also failed in 2010.

He had explained that since 2001 he had undergone more than 1,473 dialysis sessions.

Continue Reading

Trending