Connect with us

Headlines

NCC initiates first 5G trial in West Africa 

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has made history as the first telecoms regulator in West Africa to conduct a trial of the Fifth Grade (5G) technology.

In a statement sent to KANO FOCUS, the NCC said it conducted the 5G network trial in  three Nigerian cities comprising Abuja, Calabar and Lagos.

The commission assures that “the coming years can only be more exciting for Nigerians, who will, through 5G network deployment, have access to faster broadband speed to carry out personal and official activities, as this will bring about more efficiency, effectiveness and growth.”

Click this link to watch Video of NCC 5G Trial

Also Watch: NCC Promoting ICT Innovations for Economic Growth

Other achievements of the NCC, according to the statement are:

Protecting Nigerian lives through SIM registration 

The statement revealed that the Executive Vice Chairman of NCC was commended in 2019 for providing effective leadership to pave way for the implementation of the Emergency Communications Centre (ECC) project.

“The NCC has activated and increased the number of operational ECC to 17 states of the Federation and the Federal Capital (FCT), Abuja – 18 ECC in all. The list includes: the FCT, Benue, Kwara, Plateau, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Ogun, Ekiti, Ondo, Oyo, Edo, Akwa Ibom, Cross Rivers, Imo, Anambra, Enugu and Adamawa.

“Closely linked to the NCC’s efforts in implementing the ECC Project to boost Federal Government’s drive to promote security of lives and property, was also the Commission’s ongoing efforts towards sanitising the country’s SIM database for increased security in the country,” the statement read.

It added that in 2019, over 24 million invalidly-registered subscriber records were scrubbed (deduplicated) by the Commission via Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS) in fulfilment of the mandate to establish a credible database of telephone subscribers.

“Subsequently, the commissioning of the National Emergency Toll-Free Number “112” and the Katsina State Emergency Communication Centre for the North West Zone was successfully carried out on September 23, 2019.

“Necessary preparations and arrangements are, however, ongoing towards ensuring successful launch/commissioning of such centres, including publicity and enlightenment in the remaining five (5) geopolitical zones and the FCT.

“The NCC under Dambatta was recognised as Nigeria’s goodwill Ambassador in security and emergency management as well as the award of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) in security and emergency management.

“They received the awards earlier in December at the maiden Security and Emergency Management Awards hosted by the Emergency Digest, a publication of Image Merchants Promotion Limited, in conjunction with the Centre for Crisis Communication,” the NCC said.

Licensing of 10 VAS Aggregators

Following the development of its Value-Added Service (VAS) Aggregator Framework for the telecoms Value-Added Service (VAS) segment, the NCC, in 2019, awarded the VAS Aggregator licenses to 10 companies to provide aggregator services.

This will boost the competitiveness of the telecoms VAS segment of the telecommunications industry. It is also to unlock the huge potential of the telecoms VAS market, which has been estimated to be worth $500 million in the next few years.

The licensees are I-Cell Multimedia Limited, Nina-Jojer Limited, 21st Century Technologies Limited, Nitroswitch Limited, HML Consulting Limited, Iykejordan Limited, Cognys Systems Limited, Perpetual Communications Limited, Mobile Intelligence Limited and Aerandir Technologies Nigeria Limited.”

Regularising commercial satellites operations

In line with the relevant provisions of the Nigerian Communications Act (NAC), 2003, the NCC, in 2019, regularised the activities of all satellite operators including Space station operators as well as Earth Station operators; as well as issued Landing permits to Space Stations beaming signals over Nigerian territory.

“To this end, the NCC, in June, 2019, granted its first landing right permit (licence for satellite internet) to Avanti Communications Groups Plc, a United Kingdom-based satellite operator, for hosting of its HYLAS 4 Satellite specie segment over Nigerian territory.

“The landing permit, which is the first of its kind in satellite communications in Nigeria, implies authorisation that allows operators to beam its signal over the territorial integrity of a country.”

Improving quality of telecoms’ network service

In line with its continuous commitment to ensuring that telecoms operators deliver consistently improved QoS to their over 179 million subscribers, the NCC, in the course of 2019, embarked on a series of initiatives that have relatively helped in boosting the quality of service delivery across mobile networks.

Through continuous monitoring of operators’ compliance with the Key Performance Indicator (KPS) on Quality of service (QOS) on a state-by-state level, as against measuring operators’ compliance on a national average basis, the regulator helped to boost QoS delivery in this regards.

Increased consumer protection

Stepping up measures with respect of consumer complaints resolution was one initiative the Commission took very seriously in 2019.

For instance, the Commission revised its Consumer Complaints & Service Level Agreement (CC/SLA) to improve consumer complaint management and resolution in a more promptly manner by the service providers.

Similar efforts championed by the Danbatta-led NCC in the course of 2019 towards addressing consumer issues, was the inauguration of a multi-sectoral committee to combat the issue of financial frauds using telecoms or digital platforms.

More importantly, the thematic direction of the NCC’s Open Forum of the Industry Consumer Advisory Forum (ICAF) for the of  fourth quarter of 2019 was targeted at addressing areas of protection for the consumers with respect to financial frauds committed by criminals using telecoms platforms.

Hausa

Abinda ya hadani da lauyoyi na-Sheikh Abduljabbar Kabara

Published

on

Aminu Abdullahi

Malamin Addinin musuluncin nan a nan Kano Sheikh Abduljabbar Kabara ya bayyana abinda ya hadashi da lauyoyinsa har suka juya masa baya.

Malam Kabara ya ce lauyoyinsa sun bukaci ya basu N 1,500,000 domin su shirya taron manen labarai.

KANO FOCUS ta ruwaito malamin ya bayyana hakan ne lokacin da yake yiwa kotu bayani, a wani bagare na ci gaba da shari’ar da ake yi masa.

Ya ce sun nemi kudinne da zummar su yi taron manema labarai sununa yadda aka zalinceshi ko jama’a sa tausaya masa.

Ya kara da cewa kwanaki biyu kafin a yi zaman kotun baya lauyoyinsa sun samenshi a gidan kurkuku, suka ce masa za a koma kotu za kuma a ci gaba tuhumarsa.

“Sun sameni a gidan yari na Kurmawa, inda nake tsare, suka ce min dukkan tuhumar da ake yimin gadar zarece kawai.

“Sunce idan na amince da tuhumar to ba shakka na fada cikin tarkon da aka danamin.

“Suka kuma gayan tuni aka yankemin hukunci jira ake kawai na amsa a zartar da shi.” A cewarsa.

Na zama kurma

Sheikh Abduljabbar Kabara ya kara da cewa lauyoyin sun bukaci da ya kame bakinsa da zarar anje kotun kada ya ce uffan.

Ya ce sai dai ya tambayesu mai zai biyo baya idan ya kulle bakinsa ya ce ba zai yi Magana ba?

Inda ya ce sun gayamasa kar ya damu za su kula da al’amarin, shi dai kada ya yi Magana.

Haka kuma ya ce sun nemi ya basu N500,000 domin su shirya taron yan jaridar.

“Bayan sun gama wancan bayaninne kuma suka bukaci na basu dubu dari biyar su yi taron ‘yan jarida.

“Hakan ta sanya na basu N300,000, na kuma zo kotu na kame bakina kamar kurma”.

“Bayan na kame bakina ne kuma alkali ya ce a yi min gwajin kwakwalwa da na kunne, amma lauyoyin nan suka kasa cewa komai”, ya kara da cewa.

Wani jami’in gwamnati zai taimakeni

Abduljabbar Kabara ya ci gaba da gayawa kotu cewa, lauyoyin nasa sun hada shi da wani babba a gwamnati don ya taimaka masa.

Ko da dai ya ce ba zai fadi sunansa ba, amma ya yi masa wasu bayanai.

Dole na yarda inda ciwon hauka

Malamin ya ce mutumin da aka hada shi da shi ya gaya masa idan aka tabbatar da shi mahaukaci ne to rayuwarsa za ta tagayyara.

Sai dai ya gaya masa zai kuma shaki isakar ‘yanci, amma zai ci gaba da rayuwarsa a matsayin mahaukaci.

Don haka ya ce sun nemi ya basu milyan daya, don su kira taron manema labarai a karo na biyu su magance duk wani abu da zai batamasa suna.

“Sun nemi na basu N1,000,000 su yi taron manema labarai, don su karemin martabata da sunana.

“Amma sai sukace dole idan za a yi haka sai na yarda inada tabin kwakwalwa, sannan za su taimakamin a sakeni.

Za a kwace min mata

Haka zalika malamin ya ce lauyoyin sun yi yunkurin kwace masa mata.

A cewarsa bayan da aka bukaci a yi masa gwajin kwakwalwa lauyoyin sun yi kokarin kulla alaka da matarsa.

Ya ce al’amarin bai yi masa dadi ba, inda ya ce hakan cin zarafi ne.

Zarge-zargen ba gaskiya bane

Sai dai lauyoyin na sa sun musunta dukkanin zarigin da malamin ya yi musu.

Barrister Rabi’u Shu’aibu Abdullahi ne ya musanta zargi a wani bagare na mayar da martani ga kalaman na Sheikh Abduljabbar.

Ya ce idan Abduljabbar yana gani an yi masa ba dai-dai ba to akwai inda aka tsara ya kai karar lauyoyin.

Ya ce idan ya kai kara a nan ne lauya zai kare kansa kan duk wani zargi da aka yi masa,

Ko ya shigar da kara ko mu bi hakkin mu

Haka zalika Barrister Abdullahi ya ce sun baiwa malamin makwanni biyu ya shigar da karar neman hakkinsa kan zargin da yake yi musu.

Ya ce hukumar da aka tanada don kai karar lauya ba a boye mata dukkanin bayanai.

A don hakan nema ya ce sun bashi makwanni biyu ya kai karar ko kuma su su nemi nasu hakkin.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Police rescued new born baby abducted at M A Wase hospital 

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

Police in Kano said they have rescued a one day old baby abducted at Muhammad Abdullahi Wase Teaching Hospital, Kano.

KANO FOCUS reports that Abdullahi Kiyawa, a police spokesperson in Kano revealed this in a statement issued on Friday.

He said the baby was abducted by a couple Abubakar Sadiq and his wife Maryam Sadiq all of Rijiyar Zaki Quarters, Kano.

It was gathered that the couple were desperate to get a male child.

The statement recalled that on Wednesday one Rabi’u Muhammad of Gayawa quarters, Ungogo local government area reported that on the same day one of his newly-born male twin was found missing at Muhammad Abdullahi Wase Teaching Hospital, Nassarawa.

According to the statement the baby was taken from Muhammad’s sister in-law who was looking after the babies at the corridor of the Maternity ward while she was sleeping.

Kiyawa said upon receiving the report, the Commissioner of Police, Sama’ila Dikko, mobilised a team of detectives to rescue the baby and arrest the culprits.

“The team immediately stormed the scene and launched a search. The Hospital was sealed off and thoroughly combed, but the child could not be found immediately.

“Sustained efforts coupled with intelligence sharing led to the arrest of one Maryam Sadiq, ‘f’, 22 years old, and her husband one Abubakar Sadiq, ‘m’, 50 years old, all of Rijiyar Zaki Quarters, Kano.

Abubakar Sadik and Maryam Sadik

“The Child was recovered from them in their home.

“On preliminary investigation, Maryam confessed that the child was taken away from Muhammad Abdullahi Wase Teaching Hospital Kano and that she carried out the act under the influence of her husband who has been longing a male child,” Kiyawa said.

The Police spokesperson said the new born baby has been re-united with his parents and the Commissioner of Police has ordered the transfer of the case to Criminal Investigation Department for discreet investigation.

He said suspects will be charged to court upon completion of investigation.

Mrs Sadik told journalists that her husband Mr Sadik was the masterminder of the abduction, the accusation he promptly denied.

Continue Reading

Headlines

ASUU condemns DSS brutality against Prof Muhammad, threatens legal action

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Bayero University Kano (BUK) Branch has condemned alleged brutal and uncivilized assault on union’s Kano Zonal Coordinator, Abdulkadir Muhammad, by some operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS).

KANO FOCUS reports that a statement jointly signed by chairman and Secretary Haruna Musa and Yusuf Umar respectively described the attack as ”unfortunate, tragic, despicable and embarrassing.”

ASUU considered the attack as the highest form of gross violation of fundamental human rights and has exposed the lack of professionalism on the part of those who perpetrated the cowardly act saying “the attack was unfortunate, tragic, despicable and embarrassing to say the least.”

The statement recalled that “the incident happened on August 18, along the Eastern by-pass in Kano metropolis around 2 pm while Muhammad was driving when these DSS operatives, driving on a high speed and harassing commuters with siren, unprovokedly singled out and stopped him, damaged his car and assaulted him repeatedly.”

“Alas, DSS operatives are notorious for crass violation of fundamental rights of innocent Nigerians through torture and assaults.

“We recall that sometime in 2012, they invaded ASUU-BUK Secretariat at Old Campus and assaulted our then ASUU Kano-Zone Coordinator and Immediate Past Branch Chairperson in their attempt to abduct him.”

ASUU therefore urged the Department of State Services to investigate the matter and bring the perpetrators to book in order to stop the anarchy, torture and harassment of innocent Nigerians.

The Union said it is ready to deploy all the available legal and legitimate instruments to ensure that justice is done on the matter.

Continue Reading

Trending