Connect with us

Headlines

Emir Sanusi gets N200,000 as court dismisses corruption report against him

Published

on

Sanusi-vs-Ganduje-1

Nasiru Yusuf

A federal high court sitting in Kano on Friday dismissed the preliminary report of the state’s Public Complaints and Anti-corruption Commission (PCACC) which recommended the suspension of Emir Muhammad Sanusi II, over  alleged financial misappropriation of the emirate council’s funds.

In his ruling, Justice O. A. Egwuatu said the PCACC was wrong for not giving Mr Sanusi an opportunity to be heard before releasing the said report on him, adding that such an omission was against the principle of fair hearing.

The emir had sued the PCACC, Governor Abdullahi Ganduje and the state’s Attorney-General, asking for a declaration that the findings contained in the anti-corruption commission’s preliminary report–which was issued on June 6, 2019–was a breach of his fundamental right to fair hearing and contrary to the rules of natural justice.

Hence, the emir asked the court for an order to quash the preliminary report as it relates to his indictment for fraud, misappropriation, as well as the recommendation for his suspension by the commission.

While granting the emir’s prayers, the court equally awarded him a sum of  N200,000 as compensation for breaching his fundamental rights.

This is coming just two days after a Kano state high court presided over by Justice Sulaiman Na-Mallam also restrained the anti-graft commission from continuing with its probe against Mr Sanusi.

KANO FOCUS recalls that the PCACC had last year asked the Kano state government to suspend Mr Sanusi pending the final outcome of an investigation into alleged financial misappropriation of the Kano emirate’s funds, which the commission said was up to N3.5 billion.

However, Counsel to Mr Sanusi, Suraj Sa’ida presented an ex- parte application requesting the court to restrain the commission from probing the monarch.

The probe against Mr Sanusi is widely seen as a calculated attempt by Mr Ganduje to punish the monarch over his alleged support for Abba Yusuf, a member of the opposition People Democratic Party (PDP) during 2019 governorship election, an allegation the emir denied.

Mr Ganduje has also carved out four emirates in Gaya, Rano Karaye and Bichi areas from Mr Sanusi’s Emirate apparently to curtail the emir’s influence.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Headlines

Just in: Finance Minister suspends Accountant-general over alleged N80bn fraud

Published

on

Aminu Abdullahi

The Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Dr. Zainab Ahmed, has suspended the embattled Accountant-General of the Federation, Ahmed Idris, from office over his alleged involvement in N80billion fraud being investigated by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

KANO FOCUS reports that Idris was arrested on Monday by the operatives of the anti-graft agency over alleged diversion of funds and money laundering activities to the tune of N80billion.

He was arrested after failing to honour invitations by the EFCC to respond to issues connected to the fraudulent acts.

EFCC spokesperson, Wilson Uwujaren, in a statement, had said the commission’s verified intelligence showed that the AGF  raked off the funds through bogus consultancies and other illegal activities using proxies, family members and close associates.

He said the funds were laundered through real estate investments in Kano and Abuja.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Kano experiences heavy rainfall in next three days – NiMet

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

 

 

The Nigeria’s meteorological agency, NiMet, has forecast moderate to heavy rainfall within the next three days in Kano.

KANO FOCUS reports that NiMet announced this in its weather advisory on Tuesday.

“As a result of the expected moderate to heavy rainfall in the next three days, there are chances of flash flooding of roads and low-lying settlements,” the agency said.

It added that “there could be disruption of traffic due to flooded or closed roads, reduction in visibility, likely damage to mud houses and possible disruption in flight operations.”

The rain is expected to be accompanied by strong winds, lightning and thunder, hence the falling of weak buildings and displacement of makeshift structures are likely, NiMet said.

Hence, it advised the public to exercise restraint, disconnect electrical appliances before, not during the storm, and avoid standing or parking cars under trees as much as possible.

NiMet urges emergency agencies to be prepared and keep monitoring to avoid low-level areas and fast-flowing runoff waters.

It also advised the public to be prepared for these events to avoid damage from rain-related hazards.

Continue Reading

Headlines

VP Osinbajo visits scene of  Kano explosion

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

 

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has visited the scene of Kano explosive where he commiserated with the government and people of Kano state over the gas and explosion at Sabon Gari area of the state capital.

KANO FOCUS reports that the Vice president arrived at the scene of the explosion in company of Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje.

Osinbajo during the visit to the scene of the incident expressed shock that little school children were among those injured.

The Vice President who described the incident as devastating, sympathised with the victims and enjoined relevant authorities to take preventive measures against future occurrence.

He prayed for the repose of the souls of those who lost their lives and quick recovery of injured victims.

The Vice President and governor Ganduje were received and briefed by the Commissioner of Police Kano Command Sama’ila Shu’aibu Dikko.

Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje thanked the vice president for the concern and pledged medical and financial support to victims of the explosion.

The Vice President was in Kano to meet APC delegates ahead of party’s primary elections.

At least nine people are confirmed to have died in an explosion in the Sabon Gari area of Kano state on Tuesday morning.

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) in a statement said nine corpses have been recovered from the scene of the explosion.

NEMA’s spokesperson, Manzo Ezekiel, said the Director-General, Mustapha Habib, who visited the scene of the explosion, coordinated the rescue operations.

Mr Ezekiel said: “Nine dead bodies have been recovered so far from the rubbles of a collapsed building beside a primary school following explosions from a gas cylinder at Aba Road in Sabon Gari area of Kano.

“Director-General National Emergency Management Agency, Mustapha Habib Ahmed, was at the site of the incident and coordinated the rescue operations.

“He mobilised excavators being used for the rescue operations and said NEMA team will ensure complete removal of the rubbles to retrieve all trapped persons.

“Furthermore, the DG instructed the NEMA rescue team to remain at the site until the conclusion of the rescue and to work together with security agencies and other response organisations present at the location.

“NEMA is presently coordinating the rescue operations involving members, Nigerian Red Cross, military, the Nigerian Police, Nigerian Security and Civil Defense Corps, Kano SEMA, the official statement said.

Continue Reading

Trending