Connect with us

Headlines

Hajj 2020: Kano pilgrims board begins orientation exercise for intending pilgrims

Published

on

Mukhtar Yahya Usman

The Kano State Pilgrims Welfare Board says it will commence the first phase of its education and orientation programme for the 2020 intending pilgrims on Saturday March 7.

KANO FOCUS reports that Executive Secretary of the board Alhaji Muhammad Abba Dambatta disclosed this during a news conference on Monday in Kano

Mr Dambatta said that the training was designed to enlighten and educate intending pilgrims on what they were expected to do during the Hajj in the Holy land.

“The training is part of the programmes being organised by the board to keep intending pilgrims abreast of what they are expected to do or not to do during the Hajj,” he said.

He added that the programme was also intended to enlighten the intending pilgrims on the laws of the Holy land as well as on what they were expected to carry or not to carry into the Holy land.

Mr Dambatta added that the board had engaged the services of some Islamic scholars to conduct the programme which would last more than a month.

In addition, he said some officials of the board and other relevant stakeholders were also expected to present papers during the programme on other important issues.

He urged intending pilgrims to participate actively in the programme.

He however said the Board, has already begun the collection of N1.2 million from prospective pilgrims as initial deposit for the 2019 hajj fare.

He said even though, the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON), had directed state the pilgrims welfare boards to collect N1.5 million as initial deposit, but based on experience, the board decided to collect N1.2 million.

According to him, it is expected that any intending pilgrim, who paid N1.2m will not find it difficult to offset the balance when the final fare is announced.

“Based on experience, last year’s hajj fare was a little over N1.4m, so anybody, who pays N1.2m will find it easy to pay the balance after the final fare is announced,” he said.

The Executive Secretary said as soon as intending pilgrims paid the initial deposit, the board would register them for the commencement of the other processes before the final collection of the hajj fares.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Headlines

Just in: Finance Minister suspends Accountant-general over alleged N80bn fraud

Published

on

Aminu Abdullahi

The Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Dr. Zainab Ahmed, has suspended the embattled Accountant-General of the Federation, Ahmed Idris, from office over his alleged involvement in N80billion fraud being investigated by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

KANO FOCUS reports that Idris was arrested on Monday by the operatives of the anti-graft agency over alleged diversion of funds and money laundering activities to the tune of N80billion.

He was arrested after failing to honour invitations by the EFCC to respond to issues connected to the fraudulent acts.

EFCC spokesperson, Wilson Uwujaren, in a statement, had said the commission’s verified intelligence showed that the AGF  raked off the funds through bogus consultancies and other illegal activities using proxies, family members and close associates.

He said the funds were laundered through real estate investments in Kano and Abuja.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Kano experiences heavy rainfall in next three days – NiMet

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

 

 

The Nigeria’s meteorological agency, NiMet, has forecast moderate to heavy rainfall within the next three days in Kano.

KANO FOCUS reports that NiMet announced this in its weather advisory on Tuesday.

“As a result of the expected moderate to heavy rainfall in the next three days, there are chances of flash flooding of roads and low-lying settlements,” the agency said.

It added that “there could be disruption of traffic due to flooded or closed roads, reduction in visibility, likely damage to mud houses and possible disruption in flight operations.”

The rain is expected to be accompanied by strong winds, lightning and thunder, hence the falling of weak buildings and displacement of makeshift structures are likely, NiMet said.

Hence, it advised the public to exercise restraint, disconnect electrical appliances before, not during the storm, and avoid standing or parking cars under trees as much as possible.

NiMet urges emergency agencies to be prepared and keep monitoring to avoid low-level areas and fast-flowing runoff waters.

It also advised the public to be prepared for these events to avoid damage from rain-related hazards.

Continue Reading

Headlines

VP Osinbajo visits scene of  Kano explosion

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

 

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has visited the scene of Kano explosive where he commiserated with the government and people of Kano state over the gas and explosion at Sabon Gari area of the state capital.

KANO FOCUS reports that the Vice president arrived at the scene of the explosion in company of Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje.

Osinbajo during the visit to the scene of the incident expressed shock that little school children were among those injured.

The Vice President who described the incident as devastating, sympathised with the victims and enjoined relevant authorities to take preventive measures against future occurrence.

He prayed for the repose of the souls of those who lost their lives and quick recovery of injured victims.

The Vice President and governor Ganduje were received and briefed by the Commissioner of Police Kano Command Sama’ila Shu’aibu Dikko.

Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje thanked the vice president for the concern and pledged medical and financial support to victims of the explosion.

The Vice President was in Kano to meet APC delegates ahead of party’s primary elections.

At least nine people are confirmed to have died in an explosion in the Sabon Gari area of Kano state on Tuesday morning.

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) in a statement said nine corpses have been recovered from the scene of the explosion.

NEMA’s spokesperson, Manzo Ezekiel, said the Director-General, Mustapha Habib, who visited the scene of the explosion, coordinated the rescue operations.

Mr Ezekiel said: “Nine dead bodies have been recovered so far from the rubbles of a collapsed building beside a primary school following explosions from a gas cylinder at Aba Road in Sabon Gari area of Kano.

“Director-General National Emergency Management Agency, Mustapha Habib Ahmed, was at the site of the incident and coordinated the rescue operations.

“He mobilised excavators being used for the rescue operations and said NEMA team will ensure complete removal of the rubbles to retrieve all trapped persons.

“Furthermore, the DG instructed the NEMA rescue team to remain at the site until the conclusion of the rescue and to work together with security agencies and other response organisations present at the location.

“NEMA is presently coordinating the rescue operations involving members, Nigerian Red Cross, military, the Nigerian Police, Nigerian Security and Civil Defense Corps, Kano SEMA, the official statement said.

Continue Reading

Trending