Connect with us

Headlines

COVID-19: NCC’s 112 emergency number offers succour to Nigerians

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

The National Emergency Number 112 established by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) is providing succour to Nigerians in the nation’s collective efforts to fight the spread of Coronavirus pandemic, also known COVID-19.

A statement issued by deputy manager online media and special publication, NCC, said Nigerians are able to call emergency response agencies or first respondents with respect to any issue they may want to report on the Coronavirus or other health-related issues and emergencies.

He said already, states and federal government agencies are leveraging the 112 National Emergency Number, whose calls are handled through the Emergency Communication Centre (ECC) established by the Commission across the country.

According to him the ECC project is the brainchild of NCC to enable easy communication by Nigerians with emergency first responders such as Police, Fire Service, Federal Road Safety Corps, National Orientation Agency (NOA) among others, by dialing the three-digit toll-free Number 112.

He recallled that on assuming office as the Executive Vice Chairman of NCC in 2015, Prof. Umar Dambatta, quickly put machinery in place to accelerate the implementation of ECC across the country in line with the decision of the Nigerian government to enhance security of lives and property and as mandated by the Nigerian Communications Act (NCA) 2003.

He noted that the NCC fast-tracked the execution of the emergency project, whose implementation had hitherto been dragging, in recognition of its mandates to promote and enhance public safety through the use of a particular number, which shall be designed as the universal safety and emergency assistance number for telephone services generally.

He revealed that so far, the ECCs, with their operational 112 toll-free emergency number, have been implemented in 17 states of the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

He observed that aside FCT, beneficiary states of the ECC include Benue, Kwara, Plateau, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Ogun, Ekiti, Ondo, Oyo, Edo, Akwa Ibom, Cross Rivers, Imo, Enugu, Anambra and Adamawa.

“Efforts are ongoing by the Commission to deploy the ECC facility in other states of the Federation.

“Today, the 112 National Emergency Number is fully available in all the aforementioned states and FCT and can be leveraged by Nigerians, as an alternate number to reach first responders at this period of COVID-19 when seeking help and assistance from applicable government response agency during emergencies.

“Already, the Governor of Edo State, Godwin Obaseki, identified the centrality of the 112 number towards handling citizens’ calls for help in this time of Coronavirus pandemic,” the statement revealed.

Mr Obaseki, in a state-wide broadcast to sensitise the people of the state on the epidemic, urged the people of Edo State to take advantage of 112 three-digit, toll-free number to get help from response agencies in case they want to pass critical information to the government and the State Task Force on COVID-19.

It would be recalled that President Muhammadu Buhari, on March 19, 2020, unveiled the Abuja ECC facility and flagged off the 112 National Emergency Number during the commissioning of the NCC’s Communications and Digital Economy Complex at the Mbora District of Abuja.

The President explained that the 112 Number demonstrates his administration’s resolve to keep Nigerians safe.

President Buhari said ‘We have taken advantage of digital technologies to ensure that Nigerians in distress are only a dial away from the relevant emergency response institutions in the country” via the 112 Number.

According to him, the NCC’s 112 National Emergency Number will go a long way in supporting our efforts to improve the security of lives and property.

With Coronavirus spreading across the globe and more people living in isolation, the NCC’s 112 Number is providing alternatives for people to stay in touch and institutions to provide the needed basic life-saving services to the populace.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Hausa

Abinda ya hadani da lauyoyi na-Sheikh Abduljabbar Kabara

Published

on

Aminu Abdullahi

Malamin Addinin musuluncin nan a nan Kano Sheikh Abduljabbar Kabara ya bayyana abinda ya hadashi da lauyoyinsa har suka juya masa baya.

Malam Kabara ya ce lauyoyinsa sun bukaci ya basu N 1,500,000 domin su shirya taron manen labarai.

KANO FOCUS ta ruwaito malamin ya bayyana hakan ne lokacin da yake yiwa kotu bayani, a wani bagare na ci gaba da shari’ar da ake yi masa.

Ya ce sun nemi kudinne da zummar su yi taron manema labarai sununa yadda aka zalinceshi ko jama’a sa tausaya masa.

Ya kara da cewa kwanaki biyu kafin a yi zaman kotun baya lauyoyinsa sun samenshi a gidan kurkuku, suka ce masa za a koma kotu za kuma a ci gaba tuhumarsa.

“Sun sameni a gidan yari na Kurmawa, inda nake tsare, suka ce min dukkan tuhumar da ake yimin gadar zarece kawai.

“Sunce idan na amince da tuhumar to ba shakka na fada cikin tarkon da aka danamin.

“Suka kuma gayan tuni aka yankemin hukunci jira ake kawai na amsa a zartar da shi.” A cewarsa.

Na zama kurma

Sheikh Abduljabbar Kabara ya kara da cewa lauyoyin sun bukaci da ya kame bakinsa da zarar anje kotun kada ya ce uffan.

Ya ce sai dai ya tambayesu mai zai biyo baya idan ya kulle bakinsa ya ce ba zai yi Magana ba?

Inda ya ce sun gayamasa kar ya damu za su kula da al’amarin, shi dai kada ya yi Magana.

Haka kuma ya ce sun nemi ya basu N500,000 domin su shirya taron yan jaridar.

“Bayan sun gama wancan bayaninne kuma suka bukaci na basu dubu dari biyar su yi taron ‘yan jarida.

“Hakan ta sanya na basu N300,000, na kuma zo kotu na kame bakina kamar kurma”.

“Bayan na kame bakina ne kuma alkali ya ce a yi min gwajin kwakwalwa da na kunne, amma lauyoyin nan suka kasa cewa komai”, ya kara da cewa.

Wani jami’in gwamnati zai taimakeni

Abduljabbar Kabara ya ci gaba da gayawa kotu cewa, lauyoyin nasa sun hada shi da wani babba a gwamnati don ya taimaka masa.

Ko da dai ya ce ba zai fadi sunansa ba, amma ya yi masa wasu bayanai.

Dole na yarda inda ciwon hauka

Malamin ya ce mutumin da aka hada shi da shi ya gaya masa idan aka tabbatar da shi mahaukaci ne to rayuwarsa za ta tagayyara.

Sai dai ya gaya masa zai kuma shaki isakar ‘yanci, amma zai ci gaba da rayuwarsa a matsayin mahaukaci.

Don haka ya ce sun nemi ya basu milyan daya, don su kira taron manema labarai a karo na biyu su magance duk wani abu da zai batamasa suna.

“Sun nemi na basu N1,000,000 su yi taron manema labarai, don su karemin martabata da sunana.

“Amma sai sukace dole idan za a yi haka sai na yarda inada tabin kwakwalwa, sannan za su taimakamin a sakeni.

Za a kwace min mata

Haka zalika malamin ya ce lauyoyin sun yi yunkurin kwace masa mata.

A cewarsa bayan da aka bukaci a yi masa gwajin kwakwalwa lauyoyin sun yi kokarin kulla alaka da matarsa.

Ya ce al’amarin bai yi masa dadi ba, inda ya ce hakan cin zarafi ne.

Zarge-zargen ba gaskiya bane

Sai dai lauyoyin na sa sun musunta dukkanin zarigin da malamin ya yi musu.

Barrister Rabi’u Shu’aibu Abdullahi ne ya musanta zargi a wani bagare na mayar da martani ga kalaman na Sheikh Abduljabbar.

Ya ce idan Abduljabbar yana gani an yi masa ba dai-dai ba to akwai inda aka tsara ya kai karar lauyoyin.

Ya ce idan ya kai kara a nan ne lauya zai kare kansa kan duk wani zargi da aka yi masa,

Ko ya shigar da kara ko mu bi hakkin mu

Haka zalika Barrister Abdullahi ya ce sun baiwa malamin makwanni biyu ya shigar da karar neman hakkinsa kan zargin da yake yi musu.

Ya ce hukumar da aka tanada don kai karar lauya ba a boye mata dukkanin bayanai.

A don hakan nema ya ce sun bashi makwanni biyu ya kai karar ko kuma su su nemi nasu hakkin.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Police rescued new born baby abducted at M A Wase hospital 

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

Police in Kano said they have rescued a one day old baby abducted at Muhammad Abdullahi Wase Teaching Hospital, Kano.

KANO FOCUS reports that Abdullahi Kiyawa, a police spokesperson in Kano revealed this in a statement issued on Friday.

He said the baby was abducted by a couple Abubakar Sadiq and his wife Maryam Sadiq all of Rijiyar Zaki Quarters, Kano.

It was gathered that the couple were desperate to get a male child.

The statement recalled that on Wednesday one Rabi’u Muhammad of Gayawa quarters, Ungogo local government area reported that on the same day one of his newly-born male twin was found missing at Muhammad Abdullahi Wase Teaching Hospital, Nassarawa.

According to the statement the baby was taken from Muhammad’s sister in-law who was looking after the babies at the corridor of the Maternity ward while she was sleeping.

Kiyawa said upon receiving the report, the Commissioner of Police, Sama’ila Dikko, mobilised a team of detectives to rescue the baby and arrest the culprits.

“The team immediately stormed the scene and launched a search. The Hospital was sealed off and thoroughly combed, but the child could not be found immediately.

“Sustained efforts coupled with intelligence sharing led to the arrest of one Maryam Sadiq, ‘f’, 22 years old, and her husband one Abubakar Sadiq, ‘m’, 50 years old, all of Rijiyar Zaki Quarters, Kano.

Abubakar Sadik and Maryam Sadik

“The Child was recovered from them in their home.

“On preliminary investigation, Maryam confessed that the child was taken away from Muhammad Abdullahi Wase Teaching Hospital Kano and that she carried out the act under the influence of her husband who has been longing a male child,” Kiyawa said.

The Police spokesperson said the new born baby has been re-united with his parents and the Commissioner of Police has ordered the transfer of the case to Criminal Investigation Department for discreet investigation.

He said suspects will be charged to court upon completion of investigation.

Mrs Sadik told journalists that her husband Mr Sadik was the masterminder of the abduction, the accusation he promptly denied.

Continue Reading

Headlines

ASUU condemns DSS brutality against Prof Muhammad, threatens legal action

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Bayero University Kano (BUK) Branch has condemned alleged brutal and uncivilized assault on union’s Kano Zonal Coordinator, Abdulkadir Muhammad, by some operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS).

KANO FOCUS reports that a statement jointly signed by chairman and Secretary Haruna Musa and Yusuf Umar respectively described the attack as ”unfortunate, tragic, despicable and embarrassing.”

ASUU considered the attack as the highest form of gross violation of fundamental human rights and has exposed the lack of professionalism on the part of those who perpetrated the cowardly act saying “the attack was unfortunate, tragic, despicable and embarrassing to say the least.”

The statement recalled that “the incident happened on August 18, along the Eastern by-pass in Kano metropolis around 2 pm while Muhammad was driving when these DSS operatives, driving on a high speed and harassing commuters with siren, unprovokedly singled out and stopped him, damaged his car and assaulted him repeatedly.”

“Alas, DSS operatives are notorious for crass violation of fundamental rights of innocent Nigerians through torture and assaults.

“We recall that sometime in 2012, they invaded ASUU-BUK Secretariat at Old Campus and assaulted our then ASUU Kano-Zone Coordinator and Immediate Past Branch Chairperson in their attempt to abduct him.”

ASUU therefore urged the Department of State Services to investigate the matter and bring the perpetrators to book in order to stop the anarchy, torture and harassment of innocent Nigerians.

The Union said it is ready to deploy all the available legal and legitimate instruments to ensure that justice is done on the matter.

Continue Reading

Trending