Connect with us

Headlines

Ganduje directs anti-corruption commission to resume deposed Emir Sanusi’s probe

Published

on

Ganduje at Africa House

Nasiru Yusuf

Kano State governor Abdullahi Ganduje has directed the Kano State Public Complaints and Anti-Corruption Commission to continue probing the deposed Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II.

Kano focus reports that Mr Ganduje gave the directive at an interactive media session held at Africa House, Government House, Kano, Monday.

“Our state Anti-Corruption Agency will continue probing the former Emir over the issues he has with them.

“When he took them to court to stop the Agency from probing him, the case was quashed. So they will continue probing him according to the set down law,” Mr Ganduje said.

The Public Complaints and Anti-Corruption Commission is investigating the deposed Emir Sanusi over alleged N2.2 billion land racketeering at Gandun Sarki area of Kano.

Other Kano Emirate Council members being investigated by the commission over the alleged land racketeering are Sarki Ibrahim, the Makaman of Kano and Shehu Dankadai, the Sarkin Shanun Kano.

It could be recalled that, a Federal High Court in Kano, has on June 8 dismissed a case filed by the deposed Emir, seeking to stop investigation over alleged racketeering of landed property of the Kano Emirate Council.

The presiding Judge, Justice Lewis Allagoa, in a ruling, said that the commission did not violate the right of the emir by investigating the allegations against him.

The deposed Emir had filed an appeal against the ruling.

N2.2 billion land scam: Deposed Emir Sanusi appeals judgment

Mr Sanusi, in an exparte motion sought the court to stop the Kano State Public Complaint and Anti-Corruption Commission from investigating him.

The suit also sought an order restraining the Commission’s Chairman, Muhuyi Rimingado, Attorney-General of Kano State and Mr Ganduje from investigating him.

Creation of New Emirates

The governor also criticized the deposed Emir and the Kano Elders Forum for opposing his decision to divide the Kano Emirate into five.

“When we wanted to bring on board reform to our traditional institution, the former Emir did not cooperate with the process of reform.

“The process was truncated, so the only option for him was to find his way out.

“And that was what happened,” he said.

He explained that, when the process started, there were some legal issues that slowed the process.

“That time there was this so-called Kano Elders Forum that tried to also frustrate the reform process.

“Their case was squashed by another court of competent jurisdiction.”

According to him in the absence of all legal issues, the process has already been concluded.

“And it is the sole aim of trickling down development to other parts of the state, particularly the communities that house the new Emirates, that they were created.”

Headlines

Kano High Court acquits 2 suspected armed robbers detained for 13 years

Published

on

Kano High Court

Nasiru Yusuf

A Kano State High Court has disçharged and acquitted two suspected armed robbers accused of killing their victim, Bako Zangina, an offense punishable by death.

Kano Focus reports that Justice Suleman Namalam held that though the court has no doubt that the accused are criminals having been convicted previously, the prosecution has failed to estabilish the ingredient of the offence beyond reasonable doubt in the instant case.

The accused Isyaku Umar otherwise known as ‘Small’ and Ibrahim Suleiman were arraigned in court on three counts charges of conspiracy,attempted armed robbery and culpable homicide punishable by death.

The two accused have been in custody since October 2007 for the alleged killing of Bako Zangina.

The court held that while the prosecution established the death of the victim, it failed to establish three ingredients of offense linking the identity of the accused to the crime thereby creating doubt.

The trial judge held that failure of the prosecution to prove the case beyond reasonable doubt left the court with no option than to discharge and acquitt the two accused.

The two accused persons have been in detention for over 13 years and have previously been tried and convicted for armed robbery.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Kano wins national award in the fight against TB, leprosy

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

Kano State Tuberculosis and Leprosy Control Program has won the twin National Tuberculosis and Leprosy awards for the year 2020.

Kano Focus reports that, the awards were announced by the Nigeria National TB, Leprosy and Buruli Ulcer Control program during the Annual Review meeting held in Port Harcourt, Rivers State Capital.

Kano get the award as the state with highest consistent quarterly TB case notification for 2020 and the highest TB testing laboratory using GeneXpert Machine.

This is the first time the state have won such National TB and Leprosy Awards.

Continue Reading

Headlines

FG signs US$1.959bn Kano-Maradi railway project

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

The federal government has on Monday signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Mota-Engil Group for the construction of US$1.959 billion Kano-Maradi Standard gauge railway line.

Kano Focus reports that the Minister of transportation, Rotimi Amaechi signed on behalf of the federal government while the Managing Director, Mota- Engil, Antonio Gvoea signed on behalf of the contracting firm.

The new railway corridor which is to be located in northern Nigeria will run through Kano, Jigawa and Katsina states and through Niger Republic territory as far as Maradi.

Other cities to benefit directly from the passage of the rail route are Danbatta, Kazaure, Daura, Mashi, Katsina and Jibiya.

A statement signed by Eric Ojiekwe, Director, Press and Public Relations, Ministry of Transportation noted that the 283.750-kilometre rail line besides developing freight and passenger transport, “will be integrated with road transport to make a great contribution to the local economy as well as an important development in the social sector.”

The project duration is for 36 months and the contract type is Engineering, Procurement and Construction.

The signing ceremony was witnessed by the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Transportation, Magdalene Ajani; Director, Legal Services, Pius Oteh; Managing Director, Mota-Engil Group, Antonio Gvoea; Head of Legal, Mota- Engil Group, Cameron Beverley; Magajin Garin Kano, Muhammad Wada; Director, Mota-Engil Group, Kola Abdulkarim; Vice President, Mota-Engil Group, Mohammed Abdul-Razaq; Nigerian Ambassador to Germany, Yusuf Tuggar; Managing Director, Nigerian Ports Authority, Hadiza Bala-Usman among other personalities.

Mota-Engil is a Portuguese conglomerate with diverse interest in construction, transportation, public works, port operations, waste, water and logistics with presence in 23 countries spread across Africa, Europe and Latin America.

Continue Reading

Trending