Connect with us

Headlines

Police rescue over 300 workers detained for 3 months in rice mill

Published

on

Detained rice workers

Nasiru Yusuf

The police in Kano have rescued over 300 workers who were forced to spend three months in a rice mill at Challawa Industrial area.

Kano Focus reports that the workers were threatened with losing their jobs at the Indian-owned ‘Popular Farm’ if they go out during the COVID-19 lockdown.

The Anti-Daba unit of Kano police command stormed the factory on Monday after obtaining court injunction where they arrested four managers and freed the detained workers.

According to the workers they were denied permission to go outside the factory premises for fear of being infected by COVID-19.

One of the freed workers told journalists that he had been in the factory since March 23 without going outside.

Another worker, Haruna Salihu said he had been in the factory since March 28 without meeting his family.

“Our families are seriously disturbed as they don’t know our real condition.

“My wife and my kids used to come to the factory gate but I wasn’t allowed to meet them.

“We were tricked into staying in the factory for five days, which were extended to seven days, then two weeks, then one month until we spent over three months.

“We are sleeping in a very poor environment and I am appealing to authorities to allow me to go back to my family.” Mr Salihu said.

Also a truck driver who brought paddy rice from Kebbi state narrated how he was kept in the factory for three days without going out.

“Even if you attempted to go out, the security will not allow you.

“I couldn’t go out to give my boy money for food.

“Someone sent me N10,000 but I couldn’t go to bank to withdraw it as I had been detained in  the factory pending when the rice would be offloaded.” He said.

The police spokesman in Kano Abdullahi Haruna Kiyawa said they have arrested four management staff of the factory, and investigation is ongoing to verify the allegations against them.

The manager of the rice mill who identified himself as Abdulkareem regretted the incident, saying he was not aware of the workers’ terrible condition.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

Kano refutes trending story on women driving ban

Published

on

Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje

Nasiru Yusuf

Kano state government has described as fallacious a trending story on social media platforms on a purported plan to officially disallow women regardless of any faith from getting behind the wheel.

KANO FOCUS reports that the state commissioner for Information, Muhammad Garba who made the clarification in a statement issued on Thursday, said government had at no time contemplate on the matter.

He said the story, which could not be traced to any credible source, was nothing but the imaginary thinking of the authors.

“The trending story lacks any credibility and that is why it is wholly attributed to a source that cannot be substantiated,’’ it added.

Mr Garba pointed out that if at all there was such plan, the state government does not have to be involved in any secretive meeting to decide on a critical issue that has to do its teeming populace.

The commissioner stated further that even Saudi Arabia which for decades had laws that sanctioned women from driving has, after all, lifted the ban in 2018.

He said it was interesting that some of the scholars quoted to have supported the alleged ban have already dissociated themselves from the story.

Clerics denied the story

Earlie on Wednesday, some clerics alleged to have floated the ban Salisu Shehu, Abdallah Gadonkaya and Sani Rijiyar Lemo have all refuted the story.

In a text message sent to KANO FOCUS Shehu described the story as ‘completely false and mischief.’

“It is completely false. It is a mischief. I think some wicked people are desperate about causing unnecessary confusion, controversies and disaffection among Kano Scholars,” he said.

Rijiyar Lemo alleged that the story was concocted by Shiites who were not happy with the outcome of clerics debate with controversial Kano preacher Abduljabbar Kabara.

“Our attention has been drawn to a fake news in circulation, claiming that some ulama in Kano, including my humble self, have tabled a plan to stop women from driving in the state.

“This story, in all certainty, was hatched and being peddled by some Shi’ite elements, who are not happy with the outcome of AbdulJabbar’s saga.

“You are urged to discard this false story. May the Almighty protect us from the evils of our enemies,” Rijiyar Lemo said.

Gadonkaya, on a Facebook post described the story as ‘fake news’.

“I, Abdullah Usman Umar Gadon Kaya strongly say that this is a fake news. I don’t have any hands in it. It’s the act of enemies who want to  crack peace in our dear state (Kano) and Nigeria at large,” Gadonkaya said.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Abduljabbar Kabara: Lawyers demand audiovisual evidence as government amends charges

Published

on

Aminu Abdullahi

Lawyers defending Kano cleric Abduljabbar Kabara over blasphemy and incitement charges have urged the court to compel the prosecution to present audiovisual and documentary evidence.

KANO FOCUS recalls that Mr Kabara has been arraigned before an Upper Sharia Court at Kofar Kudu, Kano City presided by Ibrahim Sarki Yola.

Mr. Kabara’s lead counsel Sale Muhammad Bakaro entered the plea at the resumed sitting of the court on Wednesday morning.

He petitioned the court to compel the prosecution to present its evidence in the next sitting.

Abduljabbar accuses Ganduje of linking him with Boko Haram, Maitatsine

Meanwhile prosecuting counsel Aisha Muhammad pleaded for an adjournment to enable the Kano state government to amend the charges presented in the First Information Report.

The presiding judge Mr Yola adjourned the trial to August 18, 2021.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Ganduje presents appointment letters to 56 doctors, health workers

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

 

Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje has on Tuesday presented appointment letters to fifty six medical doctors and other health workers deployed to the State Primary Health Care Management Board.

KANO FOCUS reports that Ganduje made the presentation on Tuesday at Primary Health Care investment summit 2021, held at Coronation Hall, Government House, Kano.

Ganduje said the move is part of his administration’s commitment to improve health care delivery in the state.

 “The state government has set up a committee under the leadership of the Chairman Governing Board of the State Primary Health Care Management Board, the Madakin Gaya and District Head of Ajingi, and representatives from the office of the Secretary to State Government, Ministry of Health, Ministry for Local Governments.

“Others are representatives from the five Emirates in the state. With the Secretariat at the State Primary Health Care Management Board.”

“The committee would be updating the government and the people of Kano state on regular basis, on the achievements and success recorded.

“In order for us to achieve the desired goals, we must collaborate with development partners, government organisations and community. So all all hands must be on deck to also address the long term systematic health care system for the full implementation of the minimum service package,” Ganduje said.

Continue Reading

Trending