Connect with us

Headlines

SSS releases Salihu Tanko Yakasai arrested for criticising Buhari

Published

on

Salihu Tanko Yakasai

Nasiru Yusuf

 

 

The Nigeria’s secret police, State Security Service has on Monday released former Ganduje’s aide Salihu Tanko-Yakasai arrested on Friday.

His father Tanko Yakasai confirmed the release of his son to Kano Focus on Monday. Though he has not disclosed conditions attached to the release.

Mr Tanko-Yakasai was arrested on Friday hours after calling on President Muhammadu Buhari to check Nigeria’s worsening insecurity or resign. He has also been sacked by Governor Ganduje on Saturday, a day after his arrest.

However the SSS spokesperson, Peter Afunnaya, in a short statement late Saturday in Abuja said Mr Tanko-Yakasai was arrested over issues beyond the expression of opinions in the social media as wrongly alleged by sections of the public.

Mr Tanko-Yankasai, had on Friday posted on Twitter, saying the All Progressive Congress (APC) has failed Nigerians over the worsening insecurity.

Following the abductions of 27 schoolboys in Kagara, Niger State and 317 schoolgirls in Zamfara, Mr Tanko-Yankasai used his Twitter handle to express his anger.

He said the APC government at all levels has failed to deliver on its primary responsibility of protecting the lives and properties of Nigerians.

Mr Tanko-Yankasai, in a series of tweets, called on President Buhari to deal with the escalating insecurity or resign.

“Clearly, we as APC government, at all levels, have failed Nigerians in the number 1 duty we were elected to do, which is to secure lives & properties.

“Not a single day goes by without some sort of insecurity in this land. This is a shame! Deal with terrorists decisively or resign,” he wrote on his verified Twitter handle, @dawisu.

Mr Ganduje had on October 11 last year suspended Mr Tanko-Yakasai for unguarded utterances on Mr Buhari on his Twitter handle.

Mr Tanko-Yakasai posted the tweet on October 10 at the height of #EndSARS protests across the country criticizing Buhari with lack of empathy.

He was however reinstated on October 29 after eighteen days suspension.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

Ganduje donates N3.6m to families of Doguwa flood victims

Published

on

 
 
Nasiru Yusuf
 
 
Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano state has paid condolence visit to the families of 18 Doguwa flood victims and donated the sum of two hundred thousand Naira to each of the victims family.
 
KANO FOCUS reports that Ganduje prayed for the repose of the departed souls of those who died as a result of the heavy downpour.
“When the information of this sad tragedy reached us we were seriously shocked. May Allah Forgive the victims, who died as martyrs, being washed away by flood. May He give them the ultimate reward of Jannatul Fiddaus, ameen,” the governor prayed.
Families of the victims expressed appreciation to the governor and his entourage and prayed to God to guide him in steering the affairs of the state.
It will be recalled that on July 23, about 18 persons including six members of a family have perished in a ghastly car accident in Doguwa Local Government Area.
The Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Kano State, Zubairu Mato, said the accident occurred when a bridge linking Riruwai and Doguwa broke down as a result of the heavy downpour, and the driver wasn’t aware that the bridge had broken down.
He explained that the vehicle plunged into the water, killing all the 18 passengers on board including six members of same family.
The family members have been identified as Bashir Doguwa, Malami Gidan-Tanimu, Safiya Mukhtar, Shahida Bashir, Fatima Rabi’u, Uzairu Bashir, all of Doguwa Local Government Area of Kano State.
Doguwa and his family were on their way from Doguwa to First Lady Secondary School in Dambatta Local Government Area of the state to visit his daughter, Firdausi Bashir, who is among the students writing the ongoing NECO SSCE examinations.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Kano records highest number of sickle cell patients in Nigeria

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

Kano state has the highest sickle cell patients in Nigeria, a consultant haematologist at Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital said.

KANO FOCUS reports that Dalha Halliru Gwarzo disclosed this in an interview with Hospital’s newsletter as part of the 2021 World Sickle Cell day.

He added that Lagos is the second state with highest number of sickle cell cases in the country.

Mr Gwarzo said India, Democratic Republic of Congo and Nigeria constituted 90% of the sickle cell patients worldwide.

On the causes of sickle cell disease, Mr Gwarzo said it is a genetic inherited disease from parents who are either SS, or AS genotype as a result of genetic condition or mutation of abnormal form of red blood cell.

He advocated for compulsory screening of infants after birth and school children, pre-marital counseling/tests, subsidising cost of medication/treatment and mass sensitisation campaign on dangers of the disease.

Mr Gwarzo noted that, although there is no known cure for sickle cell disease, but developed countries are using a high technology for manipulation of the genetic cells by bone marrow and stem cells transplant, which cost about fifteen million Naira in countries like United States, Germany, United Kingdom and Canada.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Kano missing children: Court convicts Paul Owne 104 Years

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

Kano State High Court has sentenced Paul Owne to 104 years without option of fine for abducting under five children and sold them in Onitsha, Anambra state.

KANO FOCUS reports that Mr Owne was reported to have conspired with six others in committing the crime.

Delivering the judgement on Friday Justice Zuwaira Yusuf sentenced the convict after pleaded guilty to all his 38 count charge against him by Kano State Government.

The court upheld that the convict was found guilty in count 2, 8, 9, 2, 27 and 34 therefore convicted him to 7 years each without option of fine in addition with the sum of N100,000 fine.

Similarly, the court found Owne guilty in count 3, 5, 10, 11, 22, 28 and 38 head count he was sentenced to 7 years.

Mrs Yusuf said the action of Owne was in contravention of count 4, 12, 13, 29 and 38, she convicted him to 4 years on each count without option of fine.

She ordered that all the count shall run Consecutively.

The 5 other defendants who pleaded not guilty to all the charges read over to them namely: Ogbono, Emanuel Igwe, Loise Duru, Monica Oracha and Chinelo Ifedigwe.

Kano Focus reports that the Kano Police Command had rescued nine missing children and paraded six Igbo persons who have confessed to abducting the kids, renaming and forcefully converting them to Christianity before selling them in Onitsha, Anambra state.

Continue Reading

Trending