Connect with us

Headlines

Buhari mourns murdered five-year old Hanifa, directs police to prepare good charges

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

President Muhammadu Buhari expressed the nation’s condolences to the family of the five-year-old school girl Hanifa Abubakar whose body was discovered in a shallow grave in Kano after near two months of fruitless search.

KANO FOCUS reports that this was contained in a statement issued on Friday by Senior Special Assistant to the President Garba Shehu.

The President in the same breath has praised the work of the police and the secret service in unraveling the mystery behind the disappearance of Hanifa, and particularly for the arrest of her teacher and his other accomplices suspected of the child’s kidnap and murder.

President Buhari said the family and the whole nation which followed up on Hanifa’s travail every day since her disappearance in December last year were hoping for the girl to have been rescued alive and well, adding however that the very thorough and painstaking detective operation by the law enforcement bodies, leading to the discovery of the corpse and the arrest of the suspects who have already made confessions was commendable, calling it an achievement that should instill more public confidence in the authorities.

“When breakthroughs like this happen, people will talk differently of law enforcement,” said the President.

President Buhari prayed for the repose of the soul of the little school girl and urged her parents to bear the sad loss with courage and fortitude in God.

The President urged the Police and Ministry of Justice to uphold the integrity of the detective work that busted the case by preparing well and presenting a good case that will earn the respect of the court.

Kano vows to secure justice for little Hanifa Abubakar

Governor Abdullahi Ganduje said the state government would monitor and ensure the prosecution of anyone found culpable in the kidnap and murder of Hanifa Abubakar, an innocent five-year-old pupil at Kwanar Dakata in Nassarawa local government area of the state.

This is contained in a statement issued by the the state commissioner for information, Muhammad Garba on Friday.

The governor said already measures taken in the matter include the indifinite closure and withdrawal of the operational license of the school where the child was allegedly said to have been gruesomely murdered.

He said government is terribly disturbed that people entrusted with the care of children only turn out to be their murderers.

Ganduje added that government has been in touch with the family of the child and would remain so until justice prevail in the case to serve as deterrent to others.

The governor, who commended security agencies in the state for the prompt action that led to the arrest of those allegedly involved, stated that while investigation is ongoing, government will meticulously follow the case to its logical conclusion.

He also commended the international community, human rights-based organizations and well-meaning Nigerians for their concern in the matter.

Ganduje also assured security agencies of government’s support in carrying out their duties of ensuring that Kano maintains its relative peace.

Kano shuts school where kidnapped pupil was buried

The Kano State Government has earlier in the day ordered the closure of the school where the remains of Hanifa Abubakar, a five-year old pupil kidnapped and murdered by her teacher, were found buried.

The state Commissioner of Education, Muhammad Kiru, announced this in a statement issued by his spokesperson, Àliyu Yusuf.

He also announced the withdrawal of the licences of the two schools named in the tragedy, pending the outcome of police investigation.

The commissioner added that the state government has also constituted a ministerial committee to assist in ensuring justice on the matter.

While condoling with the family of little Hanifa on behalf of the state government, the commissioner called on parents and guardians to desist from enrolling their children in questionable schools.

He promised that the ministry would monitor the activities of private schools so as to prevent reoccurrence of similar incidents.

Background

KANO FOCUS reported how Abdulmalik Tanko, a teacher, allegedly kidnapped and killed his five-year old pupil, Hanifa.

Little Hanifa was Mr Tanko’s pupil at a private school located in Kwanar Dakata in Nassarawa local government area of Kano State.

According to the police, the principal suspect confessed to have poisoned the girl when he realised that she had recognised him.

“Messrs Tanko and (Hashim) Isyaku then buried her remains in a shallow grave at the private school premises at Kwanar ‘Yan Gana, Tudun Murtala Quarters in Nassarawa local government area of Kano State.

“Hashim also confessed that, sometimes in the month of November, 2021, the principal suspect, Abdulmalik met him and one Fatima Jibreel Musa, ‘f’, 27 years old, of Layin Falaki Tudun Murtala Quarters, Nassarawa LGA Kano State and ordered them to kidnap Hanifa. They planned but later rescinded their action. Fatima was also arrested,” the police said.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Headlines

Land racketteering: Emir of Gaya sacks village head of Gudduba

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

Gaya Emirate council has terminated the appointment of village head of Gudduba, Ajingi Local Government Mallam Usman Muhammad Lawan with immediate effect.

KANO FOCUS reports that the spokesperson of the Emirate, Aminu Ahmad Rano announced this in a statement issued on Wednesday.

He said after a thorough verification the village head was found guilty in engaging in land racketeering.

To this end the District Head of Gaya Alhaji Wada Aliyu (Madakin Gaya) has been directed to send a representative to oversee the affairs of the village.

The Emir noted that the Emirate will no longer tolerate indiscipline or any act that will tarnish the image of the Emirate.

The monarch directed all traditional rulers and tittle holders to justified the confidence reposed on them.

It will be recalled that the Emir of Karaye Alhaji Ibrahim Abubakar ll had earlier suspended Village head of Yango town in Rimingado local government area for similar offence.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Four Kano Assembly members dump NNPP for APC

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

Member of the Kano state House of Assembly representing Rabi’u Kwankwaso’s constituency, Madobi, Kabiru Isma’il has decamped from the New Nigerian People Party (NNPP) to the ruling All  Progressives Congress (APC) in Kano state.

KANO FOCUS reports that the commissioner for Information, Muhammad Garba revealed this in a statement issued on Wednesday.

He said that member representing Dawakin Kudu local government, Mu’azzam El-Yakub has also dumped Kwankwaso’s NNPP for the APC.

Both Messrs Isma’il and El-Yakub failed to secure the tickets of NNPP to represent their respective constituencies in 2023 general election.

It will be recalled that some National and State Assembly members who failed to secure the tickets of their party have defected to either APC or NNPP.

Prominent among them is former speaker of Kano state House of Assembly and member representing Rano/Kibiya/Bunkure federal constituency in House of Representatives Kabiru Alhassan Rurum who defected from APC to NNPP.

Others are state legislature representing Bagwai/Shanono, Isa Ali rejoined the APC days after decamping to the NNPP and member representing Dambatta state constituency, Murtala Kore who also renounced his membership of the NNPP to remain in the APC.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Kano explosion: Ganduje gives N15m to deceased’s families, injured, school

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

The Governor of Kano State, Abdullahi Ganduje, on Monday donated about sixteen million naira to the bereaved families of the people killed in last Tuesday’s explosion in the Sabon Gari area of the town.

KANO FOCUS reports that Governor Ganduje announced this on Monday while receiving President Muhammad Buhari who was in Kano for the Annual Air Force Day Celebration.

Ganduje said the state government has given N9 million to the affected families, N2 to those injured some of who are at the Greenfield Specialist Hospital and the Armed Forces Specialist Hospital, N1 million to those who are mildly injured.

He said the donation was a gesture aimed to give some succour to the families of the bereaved.

“More so, there are properties close to the scene that are affected that include two buildings that are damaged, they were given N2 million, and the Winners Academy Nursery/Primary School that were given N1 million.

“As soon as the incident occurred, the state government took immediate action to save those affected and protect the affected area as well.

“Nine people died in the gas cylinder explosion and eleven others were injured,” he said.

The governor said he sympathised with the bereaved families.

Continue Reading

Trending