Connect with us

Headlines

UTME: 78 visually impaired candidates write 2022 exams in Kano Centre

Published

on

Visually impaired candidate

Nasiru Yusuf

About 78 visually impaired candidates have Thursday commenced writing 2023 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) in Kano centre.

KANO FOCUS reports that the examination was conducted by the Equal Opportunity Group set up by the chairman of the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) Is-haq Oloyede.

Addressing the candidates at the Kano centre located at School of Continuing Education (SCE) Bayero University, Kano the coordinator of the centre, Muhammad Yahuza Bello said a total of 383 visually impaired candidates are writing this year’s examination in eleven centres nationwide.

Mr Bello, who is the immediate past Vice-Chancellor of Bayero University, Kano, said the centres are Abuja, Ado-Ekiti, Bauchi, Benin, Enugu, Jos, Kano, Kebbi, Lagos, Oyo and Yola.

He said additional centres were created this year to bring the venue of the examination closer to the candidates, especially with the security situation in the country.

The academic said the Kano centre had received the data of 172 candidates who were said to be visually challenged. However, after contacting them, it was found out that about 70 were not challenged but wrongly registered as visually impaired.

He added that after notifying JAMB, the Board made adequate arrangements for the candidates where they participates in the regular examination.

However, Mr Bello said they could not reach out to 20 other candidates said to be challenged because the phone number they registered was not functional.

He revealed that the visually challenged candidates take the same test items as those who are not.

“The mode of the examination administration is blended using PCs, traditional braille slate and stylus or typewriters in writing answers to questions that are read by out by a subject expert.

“This is in alignment with the current development of Nigeria’s higher education system with regard to the education of the blind,” Mr Okebukola said.

According to him, JAMB takes full responsibility for hotel accommodations and feeding of the candidates in the 11 centres and pays generous transport supplementation.

Besides this, Mr Bello said each visually challenged candidate receives a slate and stylus from JAMB that will be used during the study when admitted to a tertiary institution.

He said 110 visually impaired candidates out of the 332 who sat for the UTME in 2021 have secured admission into universities and other tertiary institutions.

Some candidates from Kaduna State Yusuf Isyaku and Madeline Danladi said they want to study Mass Communication and guidance and counselling respectively.

The candidates applauded JAMB for making adequate provision that makes the examination easier for visually impaired candidates.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Headlines

Land racketteering: Emir of Gaya sacks village head of Gudduba

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

Gaya Emirate council has terminated the appointment of village head of Gudduba, Ajingi Local Government Mallam Usman Muhammad Lawan with immediate effect.

KANO FOCUS reports that the spokesperson of the Emirate, Aminu Ahmad Rano announced this in a statement issued on Wednesday.

He said after a thorough verification the village head was found guilty in engaging in land racketeering.

To this end the District Head of Gaya Alhaji Wada Aliyu (Madakin Gaya) has been directed to send a representative to oversee the affairs of the village.

The Emir noted that the Emirate will no longer tolerate indiscipline or any act that will tarnish the image of the Emirate.

The monarch directed all traditional rulers and tittle holders to justified the confidence reposed on them.

It will be recalled that the Emir of Karaye Alhaji Ibrahim Abubakar ll had earlier suspended Village head of Yango town in Rimingado local government area for similar offence.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Four Kano Assembly members dump NNPP for APC

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

Member of the Kano state House of Assembly representing Rabi’u Kwankwaso’s constituency, Madobi, Kabiru Isma’il has decamped from the New Nigerian People Party (NNPP) to the ruling All  Progressives Congress (APC) in Kano state.

KANO FOCUS reports that the commissioner for Information, Muhammad Garba revealed this in a statement issued on Wednesday.

He said that member representing Dawakin Kudu local government, Mu’azzam El-Yakub has also dumped Kwankwaso’s NNPP for the APC.

Both Messrs Isma’il and El-Yakub failed to secure the tickets of NNPP to represent their respective constituencies in 2023 general election.

It will be recalled that some National and State Assembly members who failed to secure the tickets of their party have defected to either APC or NNPP.

Prominent among them is former speaker of Kano state House of Assembly and member representing Rano/Kibiya/Bunkure federal constituency in House of Representatives Kabiru Alhassan Rurum who defected from APC to NNPP.

Others are state legislature representing Bagwai/Shanono, Isa Ali rejoined the APC days after decamping to the NNPP and member representing Dambatta state constituency, Murtala Kore who also renounced his membership of the NNPP to remain in the APC.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Kano explosion: Ganduje gives N15m to deceased’s families, injured, school

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

The Governor of Kano State, Abdullahi Ganduje, on Monday donated about sixteen million naira to the bereaved families of the people killed in last Tuesday’s explosion in the Sabon Gari area of the town.

KANO FOCUS reports that Governor Ganduje announced this on Monday while receiving President Muhammad Buhari who was in Kano for the Annual Air Force Day Celebration.

Ganduje said the state government has given N9 million to the affected families, N2 to those injured some of who are at the Greenfield Specialist Hospital and the Armed Forces Specialist Hospital, N1 million to those who are mildly injured.

He said the donation was a gesture aimed to give some succour to the families of the bereaved.

“More so, there are properties close to the scene that are affected that include two buildings that are damaged, they were given N2 million, and the Winners Academy Nursery/Primary School that were given N1 million.

“As soon as the incident occurred, the state government took immediate action to save those affected and protect the affected area as well.

“Nine people died in the gas cylinder explosion and eleven others were injured,” he said.

The governor said he sympathised with the bereaved families.

Continue Reading

Trending