Connect with us

Headlines

Kano releases N1 billion for girls’ education related projects – GEP

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

The Kano State Government has so far released more than N1.02 billion for girls’ education related projects in its 2022 budget.

KANO FOCUS reports that Hajiya Mairo Bello, the Co-chair, Girl Education Partnership, an NGO, made this known in Kano on Saturday, at the dissemination of the Kano State 2022 girl education budget performance with citizens and relevant stakeholders.

The dissemination was supported by Partnership to Engage, Reform and Learn (PERL), a governance programme of the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO).

Bello explained that while N868.6 million was released for girls’ specific budget lines, N155.5 million were released for both boys and girls related education projects.

Cross section of participants

She said that of the N868.6 million, N32.9 million was for feeding, N116.6 million for transitional examination, N177.6 million for National Examination Council, and N90 million for National Board for Arabic and Islamic Studies examination.

Others, she said, included N12 million for the State Agency for Mass Education, while N132 million was released for renovations of girls’ secondary schools.

She added that N12.5 million was also released for repairs of shuttle buses for transportation of girls to school, under the state’s Girl Education Project.

She particularly commended the state government for the release of 12.5 million for the repair of 20 shuttle buses for the transportation of girls to schools within the metropolitan towns of the state.

She explained that the development was the result of consistent advocacy to government agencies by citizens groups to push for increased investment on girls’ education.

Cross section of participants

“This is a milestone for us, because the shuttle buses will support in transporting girls from poor households to school at no cost.

“This will significantly increase girls’ access to education by removing transportation and distance barriers.

“It also provides security as a safety measure by taking the girls from their homes to school and returning them back to their houses safely.

“This, in the long run, will increase girls’ school enrolment, retention, transition, and completion,” she said.

Read also: Super Falcons lose 0-4 to world champions US in friendly

She said that an analysis of the 2021 budget supported by PERL, shows that only three per cent of the total state budget was specific to girls’ interventions.

This, she said, prompted the citizens group to conduct series of advocacies to relevant government agencies to increase budgetary allocation for specific girls’ education interventions.

Cross section of participants

According to her, the advocacy yielded significant results with the creation of budget lines for girls’ education projects in the state.

Bello said that one of the budget lines was N20 million for the purchase of 10 shuttle buses for Girl Education within eight metropolitan local government areas and repair of 20 grounded vehicles for the girl education pppproject.

“Another budget line was N20 million for the construction of and rehabilitation of toilets for children and students with special needs in girls’ schools across the three Senatorial Zones in the state.

“A total of N50 million was also allocated to enhance inclusive education for girls with disabilities across the state and N120 million for the recruitment of female teachers for basic and secondary schools.

“Similarly, N15 million was allocated for the construction of blocks of classrooms, provision of furniture, instructional materials, and supply of buses for girls in primary and secondary schools,” she said.

She explained that of all the allocations amounting to N225 million, N12.5 million had been released for repair of shuttle buses.

She also said that a memo for the release of N100 million for the recruitment of female teachers and N19.6 million for the renovation of toilet facilities in girls’ schools were being processed for releases.

Cross section of participants

Earlier, Hajiya Hajara Suleiman, PERL State Partnership Facilitator in the state, said that the objective of the meeting was to provide an overview and update on the girl education budget.

She added that the meeting was also organised to disseminate findings from the relevant ministries, departments and agencies with girl specific education projects.

“The meeting was also organised to identify possible ways for further engagement with stakeholders that will facilitate budget releases and implementation of girls’ education projects,” Suleiman said.

In his remarks, Special Adviser to Kano state governor on free and compulsory education and co-chair girls education partnership (GEP), Dr. Kabiru Shehu commended the effort of citizens on the consistent advocacies they embarked on to ensure funds allocated in the MDAs responsible for the implementation of Girl Education are released.

He noted that, over one hundred and ninety million naira additional support  funds  were provided by the state to sponsor female students SSCE examination.

Also speaking the state chairman of State Based Management Committee (SBMC) Tijjani Haladu Baraya, pointed out that as part of efforts to uplift the standard of education, Kano state government had set up a committee to oversee the  renovation of 22 schools across the state.

He pointed out  that, the ongoing project, under Kano state urban planning  development authority (KNUPDA) gave special consideration to four girls secondary schools.

A member of GEP and Kano state Coodinator CSACEFA, Dr. Auwal Halilu said citizens analysed  the releases of the 2022 budget.

He highlighted that, findings revealed more insights on how to improve girls education in Kano.

In his presentation titled ‘Girls education and releases for 2022 budget’ Comrade Safiyanu Lawan Bichi of Kano budget working group and member GEP, brought to light that ministry for local government, SUBEB and  Agency for Mass Education have releases on girls education.

He also urged the partnership to use the session to set out committees that will follow up releases and track implementation from other MDAs that are responsible for the delivery of Girl Education projects.

The event tagged: Dissemination of 2022 budget performance with citizens and relevant stakeholders, supported by PERL- ECP brought together traditional rulers, government officials, civil society organizations, journalists, women groups, PWD, members of GEP and other relevant stakeholders in the Educational Sector.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

NUP presents Gov Yusuf with Outstanding Governor of the Year award

Published

on

 

….Acknowledged him as the “Most friendly Governor for pensioners

The national leadership of the Nigeria Union of Pensioners has bestowed upon the Governor of Kano State, Alhaji Abba Kabir Yusuf, the title of the most pensioner-friendly Governor of the year.

This was contained in a statement issued by governor’s spokesperson Sunusi Bature Dawakin Tofa on Thursday.

In presenting the accolade to the Governor, the national chairman of the Nigeria Union of Pensioners (NUP), Mazi Godwin Ikechuku Abumisi, expressed that it was incumbent upon the union to acknowledge the Governor due to his steadfast dedication to the welfare of pensioners in the state.

“Your Excellency, you shine brightly as a beacon of support to our members.

“Over the past year, you have authorized and disbursed eleven billion naira to clear the backlog of pension gratuity payments.

“This milestone is unparalleled; no other governor has accomplished such a feat within a single year since the restoration of democracy in Nigeria.”

In their messages of goodwill earlier, the state chairmen of the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) and the Nigeria Union of Pensioners (NUP) in Kano expressed gratitude to the Governor for his unwavering commitment to addressing the pension liabilities amounting to N43 billion left by the previous administration.

Responding to the honor, Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf reiterated his unwavering dedication to supporting pensioners by the settlement of their gratuities and the timely disbursement of monthly pension allowances.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Kano emirate tussle: Police ban Sallah durbar

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf Ibrahim

 

The Kano State Police Command has prohibited the planned Durbar celebrations by both dethroned Emir Aminu Ado Bayero and reinstated Emir Muhammad Sanusi ll.

KANO FOCUS reports that the Durbar, a traditional ceremony typically held a day after Sallah, involves the Emir riding on horseback through major areas of Kano city.

Despite both Emirs having made preparations and requested security permission from the state police command, the police have denied their requests due to potential security concerns.

The Kano State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), SP Haruna Kiyawa, confirmed the ban in a statement issued on Thursday.

The statement, titled “Ban on Durbar Activities and Other Security Restraints During Sallah Festivities,” emphasized that the police command has issued security advisories to residents in preparation for the forthcoming Sallah celebrations.

The police decision aims to prevent any potential conflicts or security breaches that could arise from the ongoing emirship dispute.

The Kano State Police Command congratulates Muslim faithful and all law-abiding residents of the State for witnessing yet another Eid-El-Kabir Sallah period and assures that adequate security deployments have been put in place to ensure no breakdown of law and order in all parts of the State before, during and after the festive period.

SP Kiyawa added “This is part of the commitment to sustenance of the peace by the Kano State Police Command in conjunction with all the relevant security stakeholders.

He state that “in furtherance, a ban has been placed on ALL DURBAR activities throughout the State for the upcoming Eid-El-Kabir celebrations”.

This measure is taken as a result of series security reports obtained and wide consultations made with relevant security stakeholders to ensure the safety of the larger community.

However, worshippers are advised to conduct their normal Eid Prayers at the various designated Eid praying grounds, traditionally done in the past.

On a final note, the Command encourages continued collaboration and cooperation from all stakeholders to collectively work together to build a safer and more secure environment.

The Command also urges everyone to keep reporting any suspicious movement of person(s) or item(s) they come across to the nearest Police Station or through the following Kano State Police Command emergency contact numbers:- 08032419754, 08123821575, 09029292926.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Kano Emirate tussle: Court confirms jurisdiction to hear rights violation suit

Published

on

Aminu Ado Bayero

Nasiru Yusuf Ibrahim

 

A Federal High Court sitting in Kano, has ruled that it has the jurisdiction to preside over the case of human rights violation brought by deposed Kano Emir, Aminu Ado Bayero, and a senior councillor, Aminu Babba DanAgundi, following the reinstatement of Emir Mohammadu Sanusi II.

KANO FOCUS reports that the court had granted an ex-parte order stopping Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano from reinstating Sanusi pending the determination of a substantive suit filed against his reinstatement.

The order also kicked against the abolishment of four emirates – Bichi, Gaya, Karaye, and Rano – in a bill earlier passed by the State House of Assembly.

It directed all parties involved to maintain status quo ante pending the determination of the suit filed by Sarkin Dawaki Babba and Aminu Babba-Dan’Agundi.

Justice Liman granted leave to the Plaintiff/Applicant to issue and serve their concurrent originating motion as well as all other court processes on the 6th defendant (IGP) in the FCT, Abuja, and outside the jurisdiction of the court.

The defendants in the suit include the Kano State Government, the Kano State House of Assembly, the Speaker of the State Assembly, the Kano State Commissioner of Police, the Inspector General of Police, the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps, and the Department of State Security.

Justice Liman said all parties are ordered to maintain status quo ante in the passage and assent of the bill.

“That parties are hereby ordered to maintain status quo ante pending hearing of the fundamental rights application.

“In view of the constitutional and jurisdictional issues apparent on the
face of the application, parties shall address the court on same at the hearing of the fundamental rights application which is fixed for the 3rd of June, 2024.

“That in order to maintain the peace and security of the state, an Interim Injunction of this Honourable Court is granted restraining the respondents from enforcing, executing, implementing and operationalizing the Kano State Emirate Law Council (Repeal) Law.

“That parties are hereby ordered to maintain status quo ante the passage and assent of the bill into pending the hearing of the fundamental rights application.”

However, when case resumed on Thursday, Justice Liman, relying on Section 42 Sub-section 1 of the Constitution, said the court has powers of jurisdiction to hear the case.

The judge noted, “What I find intriguing is the respondents total reliance on this case of Gongola, where as Section 42 Sub-section 1 of the Constitution has clearly spelt out the jurisdictional powers of the Federal High Court to preside over such case.

“My respectful view is that the case of Tukur against the Gongola is indistinguishable with the present case. Section 42 Sub-section 1 and Section 32 of the Constitution has vested a power on our court to decide on this matter.”

In continuation of the case the plaintiff counsel, Barrister Chukwuson Ojukwu, argued that the matter is ripe for hearing as to the main issues of the invalidity of the reappointment of a new Emir and the deposition of 15th Emir Aminu Ado Bayero.

But Barrister A. G Wakil insisted that the new motion seeking to continue hearing on the Chieftaincy Affairs issues was not part of the original summons and is a different application outside the matter of Human Rights Violation and the jurisdictional powers of the court, which the court had decided.

The judge explained that the matter was adjourned to Thursday, 13th June 2024, for only ruling and nothing else.

Justice Liman adjourned the case to 14th June, 2024, noting that the matter was too sensitive to linger.

Continue Reading

Trending