Connect with us

Headlines

Sex-for-marks: Court rejects lecturer’s request to reclaim mobile phone

Published

on

Justice

By Nasiru Yusuf

A magistrate court, Rijiyar Zaki, Kano has rejected a request by Dr. Mas’ud Abdullahi, a lecturer accused of luring a married female student for sex, to release his mobile phone.

Kano Focus recalls that Mr Abdullahi, the Vice Principal of School of Technology, Bebeji, Dr Mas’ud Abdullahi, was arraigned for allegedly enticing his married student for illicit sex.

At the court proceedings on Tuesday, counsel to the accused had prayed the court to direct police to release his client’s motor vehicle, staff I.D card and mobile phone.

However, the presiding magistrate, Aminu Fagge granted the request of releasing Mr. Abdullahi’s staff I.D card and motor vehicle, but rejected the request to release his mobile phone, saying it contained romantic messages sent to the victim (name withheld) requesting sex in exchange for marks.

Mr. Abdullahi was charged after he allegedly attempted to rape his student in her matrimonial home, an offence which contravenes sections 389 and 349 of criminal procedure code (CPC), Kano state

Police prosecutor ASP Yusuf Sale had earlier told the court that on August 19, 2019 Mr Abdullahi’s victim, a resident of Hausawa quarters in Kano city filed a complaint against the accused at Metro police station.

In her complaint, the victim was said to have accused her teacher of barging into her home and demanding illicit sex, a move she vigorously resisted.

“In August, 2019, Mr Abdullahi sent a romantic message through Whatsapp messaging app to (name withheld) asking her to allow him have sex with her and promising to award her marks to pass her exams in exchange,” ASP Sale had told the court.

However, when asked by the court, Mr Abdullahi pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Consequently, Magistrate Fagge granted the accused bail in the sum of N1 million with two sureties in like sum.

Headlines

Kano High Court acquits 2 suspected armed robbers detained for 13 years

Published

on

Kano High Court

Nasiru Yusuf

A Kano State High Court has disçharged and acquitted two suspected armed robbers accused of killing their victim, Bako Zangina, an offense punishable by death.

Kano Focus reports that Justice Suleman Namalam held that though the court has no doubt that the accused are criminals having been convicted previously, the prosecution has failed to estabilish the ingredient of the offence beyond reasonable doubt in the instant case.

The accused Isyaku Umar otherwise known as ‘Small’ and Ibrahim Suleiman were arraigned in court on three counts charges of conspiracy,attempted armed robbery and culpable homicide punishable by death.

The two accused have been in custody since October 2007 for the alleged killing of Bako Zangina.

The court held that while the prosecution established the death of the victim, it failed to establish three ingredients of offense linking the identity of the accused to the crime thereby creating doubt.

The trial judge held that failure of the prosecution to prove the case beyond reasonable doubt left the court with no option than to discharge and acquitt the two accused.

The two accused persons have been in detention for over 13 years and have previously been tried and convicted for armed robbery.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Kano wins national award in the fight against TB, leprosy

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

Kano State Tuberculosis and Leprosy Control Program has won the twin National Tuberculosis and Leprosy awards for the year 2020.

Kano Focus reports that, the awards were announced by the Nigeria National TB, Leprosy and Buruli Ulcer Control program during the Annual Review meeting held in Port Harcourt, Rivers State Capital.

Kano get the award as the state with highest consistent quarterly TB case notification for 2020 and the highest TB testing laboratory using GeneXpert Machine.

This is the first time the state have won such National TB and Leprosy Awards.

Continue Reading

Headlines

FG signs US$1.959bn Kano-Maradi railway project

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

The federal government has on Monday signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Mota-Engil Group for the construction of US$1.959 billion Kano-Maradi Standard gauge railway line.

Kano Focus reports that the Minister of transportation, Rotimi Amaechi signed on behalf of the federal government while the Managing Director, Mota- Engil, Antonio Gvoea signed on behalf of the contracting firm.

The new railway corridor which is to be located in northern Nigeria will run through Kano, Jigawa and Katsina states and through Niger Republic territory as far as Maradi.

Other cities to benefit directly from the passage of the rail route are Danbatta, Kazaure, Daura, Mashi, Katsina and Jibiya.

A statement signed by Eric Ojiekwe, Director, Press and Public Relations, Ministry of Transportation noted that the 283.750-kilometre rail line besides developing freight and passenger transport, “will be integrated with road transport to make a great contribution to the local economy as well as an important development in the social sector.”

The project duration is for 36 months and the contract type is Engineering, Procurement and Construction.

The signing ceremony was witnessed by the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Transportation, Magdalene Ajani; Director, Legal Services, Pius Oteh; Managing Director, Mota-Engil Group, Antonio Gvoea; Head of Legal, Mota- Engil Group, Cameron Beverley; Magajin Garin Kano, Muhammad Wada; Director, Mota-Engil Group, Kola Abdulkarim; Vice President, Mota-Engil Group, Mohammed Abdul-Razaq; Nigerian Ambassador to Germany, Yusuf Tuggar; Managing Director, Nigerian Ports Authority, Hadiza Bala-Usman among other personalities.

Mota-Engil is a Portuguese conglomerate with diverse interest in construction, transportation, public works, port operations, waste, water and logistics with presence in 23 countries spread across Africa, Europe and Latin America.

Continue Reading

Trending