Connect with us

Headlines

Kidney patient fights for life, needs N15m for transplant

Published

on

By Nazifi Dawud

Mahmud Aminu Daneji, a kidney disease patient, has been fighting for his life for the past 18 years.

Mr Daneji, 46, who spoke to Kano Focus, while on a dialysis machine at Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital (AKTH), said his two kidneys failed simultaneously in 2001 after he was struck by severe hypertension.

“I used to be a very healthy and productive man before hypertension struck me down. I was living my life happily when suddenly my blood pressure shot to over 220 in March 2001,” he recalled.

He added that despite spending some time at the hospital receiving treatment, complications from the high blood pressure eventually damaged his kidneys.

Failed transplant

Mr Daneji, resident of Daneji quarters in Kano Municipal local government area of Kano state,  narrated that from 2001 he had undergone a total of 476 dialysis sessions until October 2006 when he had a kidney transplant.

He said after the transplant, which was successful, he was able to regain good health that allowed him to continue with his life without pains.

“It felt as if I got a new life. My health problems seemed to have disappeared. In fact, I got married two years after the transplant and everything appeared to be Ok,” he said.

Alas, that respite gradually came to an end in October 2010, when the transplanted organ also failed. And like a horrible nightmare, Mr Daneji’s sorrow was renewed.

Since then, the father of one, said he has undergone 987 dialysis sessions–and still counting.

Each dialysis session, he said, used to cost him N17, 100 until AKTH considered his plight and gave him a 50 percent discount, meaning he now pays N8,550 twice a week.

Confined to a wheelchair, Mr Daneji said he has lost everything including his house.

“All I have are my lovely wife and 11-year-old boy,” he said, his voice cracking with emotions. “I am living for them”.

‘Why I need N15 million’

According to Mr Daneji, his first kidney transplant failed because, as doctors told him, he had a complicated genetic composition with a high possibility of rejecting foreign organs.

Mr Daneji’s case has proven complicated because apart from his aggressive genetic makeup, he had also received too many blood transfusions–which is also another challenge.

“When I did the HLA tissue typing tests, doctors advised that there is a 68 t0 70 percent that my body will reject a new kidney transplant due to my genetic makeup and too much blood transfusions,” he said.

Help in India

However, all hope is not lost for Mr Daneji as a hospital in India–Apollo International Kidney Centre, based in New Delhi has offered to help him at the cost of N15 million.

“I have been advised to seek treatment at the Indian hospital which has reputable kidney disease specialists that can solve my problem,” he said.

“This is why I am appealing for help from the government, well-meaning citizens, philanthropists and organizations to raise N15 million to seek treatment in India,” he added.

Hajiya Hauwa Abdullahi, a spokesperson for AKTH said anyone willing to help Mr Daneji can make donations through the hospital’s Social Welfare Office.

“Those willing to help Mahmud Daneji can call him on 08065514914 or contact me on 08065408993 or make donations through the Social Welfare Office at the AKTH,” she said.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

Kano begins Ramadan food distribution as Gov. Yusuf constitutes feeding committee

Published

on

 

Nasiru Yusuf Ibrahim

 

The Kano State Government has commenced the distribution of food items ahead of the 2026/1447AH Ramadan, following the approval of a Ramadan Feeding Programme Committee by Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf.

 

KANO FOCUS reports that the development was contained in a statement issued on Thursday by the Governor’s spokesperson, Sunusi Bature Dawakin Tofa.

 

According to the statement, food distribution began on Thursday, February 19, 2026, across 115 feeding centres located within the eight metropolitan local government areas of Kano State.

 

The governor said the initiative is designed to support the less privileged and ease the burden of fasting during the holy month of Ramadan. He urged members of the newly constituted committee to discharge their responsibilities with dedication, transparency and fear of God to ensure the success of the programme.

 

Committee Composition

 

The committee is chaired by the Commissioner for Religious Affairs, Ahmed Tijani Auwalu.

 

Other members include the Commissioner for Local Government, Muhammad Tajo Othman; Commissioner for Health, Dr. Abubakar Labaran Yusuf; Commissioner for Environment, Dr. Dahiru Hashim; Chairman of the Hisbah Board, Sheikh Ibrahim Shehu Maihula; and several special advisers and directors-general.

 

Also serving on the committee are the Accountant General of the State, Jamila Magaji Abdullahi; the Director General of the Hisbah Board, Abba Saidu Sufi; Director General, Media and Publicity, Sunusi Bature Dawakin Tofa; and Director General, Protocol, Abdullahi Ibrahim Rogo, among others.

 

All chairmen of the eight metropolitan local government areas—Tarauni, Fagge, Kano Municipal, Gwale, Nassarawa, Dala, Kumbotso and T/Wada—are members of the committee, alongside representatives from the Government House and the Zakkat Commission.

 

Akibu Isa Murtala, Special Adviser on Administration, will serve as Secretary, while Bilkisu Shehu Maimota, Permanent Secretary/AGS in the SSG’s Office, will serve as Co-Secretary.

 

Governor Yusuf reaffirmed that the Ramadan Feeding Programme remains a key social intervention initiative of his administration, aimed at promoting unity and providing relief to vulnerable residents across Kano State during the fasting period.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Friday Sermon: Imam Gusau urges Muslims to protect wealth through Zakah

Published

on

 

Nasiru Yusuf Ibrahim

 

The Chief Imam of Nagazi-Uvete Jumu’ah and the late Alhaji Abdur-Rahman Okene’s Mosques in Okene, Kogi State, Sheikh Murtadha Muhammad Gusau, has called on Muslims to safeguard their wealth from calamity by faithfully paying Zakah.

 

Delivering his Friday sermon on Ramadan 3, 1447 AH (February 20, 2026), Imam Gusau emphasised that Zakah is not a loss but a divine mechanism for purification and protection of wealth.

 

According to him, wealth is not preserved through stinginess or hoarding but through obedience to Allah by giving out the prescribed portion to the needy.

 

“Zakah cleanses wealth from greed and spiritual impurities and blesses the remainder with increase and barakah,” he said, quoting the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) as saying: “Wealth never decreases from charity.” (Muslim).

 

The cleric explained that paying 2.5 per cent of eligible wealth purifies the remaining 97.5 per cent, adding that Zakah is not a voluntary act of generosity but an obligation and a right due to the poor.

 

Citing the Qur’an, Imam Gusau referenced Surah Al-Baqarah (2:261), where Allah likens those who spend in His cause to a grain that grows seven ears, each bearing a hundred grains. He described Zakah as “the most profitable investment,” promising returns both in this world and in the Hereafter.

 

He also warned against withholding Zakah, recalling a hadith recorded in Sahih Bukhari in which the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said that wealth hoarded without paying Zakah would appear on the Day of Judgment as a poisonous snake encircling its owner’s neck.

 

The Imam highlighted historical examples, noting that during the reign of Umar ibn Abd al-Aziz, proper administration of Zakah led to widespread prosperity to the extent that collectors reportedly struggled to find eligible recipients.

 

Imam Gusau narrated the well-known story of three men among the Children of Israel—one leprous, one bald and one blind—whom Allah tested with wealth after curing their ailments. According to traditions recorded in Bukhari and Muslim, only the formerly blind man acknowledged Allah’s favour and shared his wealth, earning divine pleasure, while the others faced punishment for their ingratitude.

 

He described Zakah as one of the five pillars of Islam, quoting the hadith: “Islam is built upon five…”—testifying that there is no deity worthy of worship except Allah and that Muhammad is His Messenger, establishing prayer, giving Zakah, performing Hajj, and fasting Ramadan.

 

The cleric stressed that Zakah applies only to wealth that reaches a minimum threshold (nisab) and is capable of growth, noting that Islam does not impose it on personal belongings such as homes, vehicles or household items.

 

He further explained that the Shari’ah requires only a small portion—often one-fortieth—of qualifying wealth, describing the system as just and merciful. He cited the Prophet’s instruction to Mu’adh ibn Jabal when he was sent to Yemen, directing that Zakah be taken from the wealthy and returned to the poor without seizing the best of people’s possessions.

 

Imam Gusau warned that greed had destroyed past nations, quoting the Prophet’s caution: “Beware of greed, for greed destroyed those before you.” (Muslim).

 

He noted that Zakah purifies the soul from miserliness and strengthens faith, describing it as proof of sincerity in belief. He also pointed to its social benefits, saying it addresses poverty, supports debtors and stranded travellers, and fosters brotherhood and social harmony.

 

Referring to early Islamic history, he recounted how Abu Bakr al-Siddiq fought tribes that refused to pay Zakah after the Prophet’s death, declaring that Zakah is the right of wealth and inseparable from prayer.

 

“Zakah is a bridge of Islam—whoever crosses it is saved, and whoever turns away from it is ruined,” Imam Gusau said.

 

He urged Muslims to calculate and pay their Zakah promptly and joyfully, describing it as a shield against calamity and a source of peace rather than punishment.

 

The sermon concluded with prayers for the victory of Islam, security in the land, righteous leadership, and well-being in this world and the Hereafter.

 

Imam Murtadha Muhammad Gusau can be reached via gusauimam@gmail.com

or 08038289761.

 

 

Continue Reading

Headlines

Fire Service confirms outbreak at Dakata Market, says blaze contained

Published

on

 

Ibrahim Khalil

The Federal Fire Service (FFS), Kano State Command, has confirmed a fire outbreak at the Fatima Simra Multi-Purpose Market in Dakata, Kano, in the early hours of Thursday, assuring the public that the blaze has been successfully contained.

 

In a statement issued on Friday, and signed by the Command’s Public Relations Officer, Al-Hassan Ahmad Kantin, the Service disclosed that it received a distress call at about 5:11 a.m.

 

According to the statement, firefighters were immediately mobilised to the scene, where they commenced operations in collaboration with other emergency responders to bring the situation under control.

 

The FFS said the swift response and coordinated efforts of personnel prevented the fire from spreading to adjoining structures and properties within the market and surrounding areas.

 

“Damping down and overhaul operations are currently ongoing to eliminate any hidden embers and prevent possible re-ignition,” the statement added.

 

The Service noted that the actual cause of the fire remains unknown and will be determined after a comprehensive investigation by the appropriate authorities.

 

It also appreciated the cooperation of market stakeholders and members of the public during the emergency response, urging residents and business owners to remain vigilant and adhere strictly to fire safety measures, particularly in markets and other commercial centres.

 

The Command assured that a detailed report would be made available upon conclusion of the investigation.

Continue Reading

Trending