Connect with us

Headlines

AKTH resident doctors join nationwide strike

Published

on

AKTH

Nasiru Yusuf

Resident doctors at Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital (AKTH) have joined their colleagues nationwide in an indefinite strike.

Kano Focus reports that doctors decided to go on strike following the expiration of a 14 days ultimatum to the government and a virtual meeting of the National Executive Council of the Nigerian association of Resident Doctors.

A communiqué of the meeting sent to Kano Focus by the AKTH branch chairman Sadiq Nagoma and signed by the National President Aliyu Sokomba said the meeting was attended by over 500 doctors including NEC, Past Presidents, Caucus leaders, Committee Chairmen and observers.

The meeting noted with dismay the unavailability of protective equipment for healthcare workers in hospitals with the attendant increase in infection rates and the unnecessary suffering of patients and their relative.

It also lamented the insincerity of the federal government in paying the outstanding salary shortfall of 2014, 2015, 2016 under the guise of the appeal of the National industrial Court decision.

COVID-19: AKTH resumes specialty clinics Monday

“The NEC observed non-payment of the COVID-19 hazard inducement allowance to all health workers across the country in spite of repeated promises by the government.

“The NEC observed that the plight of her members in state tertiary hospitals such as the non-domestication and non-implementation of Medical Residency Training Act at the state level, the non-implementation of appropriate salary structure and the nonpayment of owed salaries.”

The NEC therefore resolved to proceed on an indefinite nationwide strike from Monday by12:01am with the exemption of members attending to COVID-19 patients at designated COVID -19 treatment and isolation centres for two weeks after which if things remain the same, they shall also be co-opted to join the strike.

This exemption according to the communiqué is in recognition of the intervention of the House of Representatives and a demonstration of doctor’s goodwill to Nigerians.

Headlines

20 year old man drowns in Kano pond

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

A Twenty year-old man, identify as Safiyanu Mustapha has drowned inside pond in Gaida, Kumbotso Local Government Area of Kano State.

Kano Focus gathered that circumstances surrounding Mustapha’s death was still under investigation.

The Public Relations Officer, Kano State Fire Service, Saidu Muhammed who confirmed the development to Kano Focus on Tuesday, said the victim was rescued and later confirmed dead.

Mr Muhammad said, “We received a distress call at about 07:50am through Malam Kabiru Hashimu in Gaida, Kumbotso Local Government area notifying us of the incident.

“Upon receiving the information, we dispatched our team to the scene of incident who discovered that it was a man of about 20 years, by name Safiyanu Mustapha that fell inside a pond.

“Victim was rescued and later confirmed dead.

“We handed the corpse to the village head of Challawa, Alhaji Yahaya Zangina for funeral.

“Cause of incident is under investigation,” Muhammad said.

Continue Reading

Headlines

FG registers 500,000 farmers in Kano – Nanono

Published

on

Sabo Nanono and Nasiru Gawuna

Nasiru Yusuf

The federal ministry of agriculture and rural development has registered over five hundred thousand farmers in Kano state.

Kano Focus reports that the minister of agriculture Sabo Nanono revealed this on Monday, while flagging off the National trans – boundary aerial pest control exercise held at the Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport,Kano.

The minister said the ministry has so far registered over five million farmers in the country.

He maintained that the President Buhari administration has initiated many interventions in agricultural sector to cushion the impact of COVID-19 pandemic and ensure socio-economic development.

He explained that the 2020 dry season control of migratory pests is conducted in 12 front line states to address the challenge being face in the sector over the years.

“The federal ministry of agriculture and rural development has so far registered over 5 million farmers in the country country out of which over 500,000 are from Kano. The data gathered would help in proper documentation and ensure smooth running of agricultural activities.

“Due to the destructive effects of these pests especially on cereal crops, the federal government through the federal ministry of agriculture and rural development has been inundated with requests by state governments to carry out aerial and ground control operation against the pests in order to salvage the expected rice bumper harvest,” Nanono said.

He however acknowledged the tremendous contribution of Kano state government to the development of agriculture adding that with cooperation among stakeholders all obstacles that will endanger food and nutritional security can be eliminated in the country.

In his address the governor of Kano State, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje said the control of migratory pests that attack and destroy cereals particularly rice, millet and wheat is meant to prevent loss of the crops.

According to him, the measure is in line with the federal and state government policy of agricultural transformation aimed at boosting production for food security and economic stability.

The governor represented by his deputy Nasiru Yusuf Gawuna said “Control of Quelea birds results in increase in yield of many crops per hectare and quantity of various agricultural produce we export as well as ensure safer and higher productivity.”

While appreciating the effort of the federal government for conducting aerial operation against the migratory birds in Bagwai, Bebeji, Bunkure, Garun Malam, Kura, Makoda, Rano and Warawa, the governor advised the federal ministry of agriculture and rural development to provide nets to the farmers, destroy roosting sites and ensure use of resistant varieties of the affected crops.

The Governor and the Minister later inspected the Flight demonstration of aerial pest control by AZMAN Group at the airport.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Kano Assembly approves Ganduje’s request of N20b loan

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

Kano State House of Assembly has approved  Abdullahi Ganduje’s request to access N20 billion loan from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and United Bank for Africa (UBA).

Kank Focus reports that the assembly approved the request during its plenary on Monday after the Speaker, Abdulazeez Garba Gafasa read the letter received from Ganduje seeking their consent to access the loan.

After a series of deliberations, the lawmakers unanimously agreed and approved the request.

Shedding more light to newsmen on the facility, the Majority of the assembly, Kabiru Hassan Dashi said the loan was to cover up the economic breakdown occasioned by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Hassan-Dashi added that the assembly considered the governor’s request after having challenges to access it from the capital market due to worsening economic conditions.

Similarly, during the plenary, a member representing Kunchi/Tsayawa constituency, Garba Ya’u Gwarwai apologised to the assembly on behalf of the five of them suspended on March 2020.

Kano Focus recalled that the five lawmakers were suspended by the house for allegedly causing a rowdy session, But the lawmakers ran to court, and the court ordered for their reinstatement.

According to Ya’u Gwarmai, “we are apologizing in order to allow for peace to reign in the assembly, therefore I am apologizing on behalf of my other colleagues.”

Continue Reading

Trending