Connect with us

Headlines

Court throws out Kano Emirate’s suit against additional emirates

Published

on

Mukhtar Yahya Usman

A Kano high court sitting at Audu Bako secretariat has dismissed the case filed by four Kano kingmakers challenging the creation of four first class emirs in the state.

KANO FOCUS reports that Justice Ahmad Badamasi held that the suit had already been overtaken by events given the fact that the law creating the new emirates in the state had been nullified by another high court in the state.

It could be recalled that the four kingmakers under the Emir of Kano, Malam Muhammad Sanusi II, had sued Governor Abdullah Umar Ganduje, Speaker, Kano State House of Assembly, Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice and the new First Class emirs over the legitimacy of the new laws.

The kingmakers–Madakin Kano, District head of Dawakintofa, Yusuf Nabahani; Makaman Kano, District head of Wudil, Abdullahi Sarki-Ibrahim; Sarkin Dawaki Mai Tuta, District head of Gabasawa, Bello Abubakar and Sarkin Ban Kano, District head of Dambatta, Mukhtar Adnan–had approached the court asking it to declare the laws illegal, unconstitutional and, null and void.

Delivering his judgment, Justice Badamasi averred that the validity of the law was the whole issue for determination.

The judge, who cited the verdict of Justice Usman Na’Abba of similar jurisdiction of same subject matter, insisted that series of events had overshadowed the prayers of the plaintiffs.

He noted that the court had taken judicial notice of judgment delivered by Justice Na’Abba dated November 21, 2019, nullifying the law.

He, however, insisted that any action taken might amount to nullity, devoid of legal effect.

After the nullification of the emirate law, Kano State Executive Council had instituted fresh emirate bill to the state Assembly, which had since passed and signed into law.

The new Kano emirs’ appointment and deposition law 2019 was seen by many as affront to traditional heritage of Kano emirate and deliberate attempt to cripple the influence of Emir Sanusi.

Headlines

Friday Sermon: Imam Gusau urges Muslims to protect wealth through Zakah

Published

on

 

Nasiru Yusuf Ibrahim

 

The Chief Imam of Nagazi-Uvete Jumu’ah and the late Alhaji Abdur-Rahman Okene’s Mosques in Okene, Kogi State, Sheikh Murtadha Muhammad Gusau, has called on Muslims to safeguard their wealth from calamity by faithfully paying Zakah.

 

Delivering his Friday sermon on Ramadan 3, 1447 AH (February 20, 2026), Imam Gusau emphasised that Zakah is not a loss but a divine mechanism for purification and protection of wealth.

 

According to him, wealth is not preserved through stinginess or hoarding but through obedience to Allah by giving out the prescribed portion to the needy.

 

“Zakah cleanses wealth from greed and spiritual impurities and blesses the remainder with increase and barakah,” he said, quoting the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) as saying: “Wealth never decreases from charity.” (Muslim).

 

The cleric explained that paying 2.5 per cent of eligible wealth purifies the remaining 97.5 per cent, adding that Zakah is not a voluntary act of generosity but an obligation and a right due to the poor.

 

Citing the Qur’an, Imam Gusau referenced Surah Al-Baqarah (2:261), where Allah likens those who spend in His cause to a grain that grows seven ears, each bearing a hundred grains. He described Zakah as “the most profitable investment,” promising returns both in this world and in the Hereafter.

 

He also warned against withholding Zakah, recalling a hadith recorded in Sahih Bukhari in which the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said that wealth hoarded without paying Zakah would appear on the Day of Judgment as a poisonous snake encircling its owner’s neck.

 

The Imam highlighted historical examples, noting that during the reign of Umar ibn Abd al-Aziz, proper administration of Zakah led to widespread prosperity to the extent that collectors reportedly struggled to find eligible recipients.

 

Imam Gusau narrated the well-known story of three men among the Children of Israel—one leprous, one bald and one blind—whom Allah tested with wealth after curing their ailments. According to traditions recorded in Bukhari and Muslim, only the formerly blind man acknowledged Allah’s favour and shared his wealth, earning divine pleasure, while the others faced punishment for their ingratitude.

 

He described Zakah as one of the five pillars of Islam, quoting the hadith: “Islam is built upon five…”—testifying that there is no deity worthy of worship except Allah and that Muhammad is His Messenger, establishing prayer, giving Zakah, performing Hajj, and fasting Ramadan.

 

The cleric stressed that Zakah applies only to wealth that reaches a minimum threshold (nisab) and is capable of growth, noting that Islam does not impose it on personal belongings such as homes, vehicles or household items.

 

He further explained that the Shari’ah requires only a small portion—often one-fortieth—of qualifying wealth, describing the system as just and merciful. He cited the Prophet’s instruction to Mu’adh ibn Jabal when he was sent to Yemen, directing that Zakah be taken from the wealthy and returned to the poor without seizing the best of people’s possessions.

 

Imam Gusau warned that greed had destroyed past nations, quoting the Prophet’s caution: “Beware of greed, for greed destroyed those before you.” (Muslim).

 

He noted that Zakah purifies the soul from miserliness and strengthens faith, describing it as proof of sincerity in belief. He also pointed to its social benefits, saying it addresses poverty, supports debtors and stranded travellers, and fosters brotherhood and social harmony.

 

Referring to early Islamic history, he recounted how Abu Bakr al-Siddiq fought tribes that refused to pay Zakah after the Prophet’s death, declaring that Zakah is the right of wealth and inseparable from prayer.

 

“Zakah is a bridge of Islam—whoever crosses it is saved, and whoever turns away from it is ruined,” Imam Gusau said.

 

He urged Muslims to calculate and pay their Zakah promptly and joyfully, describing it as a shield against calamity and a source of peace rather than punishment.

 

The sermon concluded with prayers for the victory of Islam, security in the land, righteous leadership, and well-being in this world and the Hereafter.

 

Imam Murtadha Muhammad Gusau can be reached via gusauimam@gmail.com

or 08038289761.

 

 

Continue Reading

Headlines

Fire Service confirms outbreak at Dakata Market, says blaze contained

Published

on

 

Ibrahim Khalil

The Federal Fire Service (FFS), Kano State Command, has confirmed a fire outbreak at the Fatima Simra Multi-Purpose Market in Dakata, Kano, in the early hours of Thursday, assuring the public that the blaze has been successfully contained.

 

In a statement issued on Friday, and signed by the Command’s Public Relations Officer, Al-Hassan Ahmad Kantin, the Service disclosed that it received a distress call at about 5:11 a.m.

 

According to the statement, firefighters were immediately mobilised to the scene, where they commenced operations in collaboration with other emergency responders to bring the situation under control.

 

The FFS said the swift response and coordinated efforts of personnel prevented the fire from spreading to adjoining structures and properties within the market and surrounding areas.

 

“Damping down and overhaul operations are currently ongoing to eliminate any hidden embers and prevent possible re-ignition,” the statement added.

 

The Service noted that the actual cause of the fire remains unknown and will be determined after a comprehensive investigation by the appropriate authorities.

 

It also appreciated the cooperation of market stakeholders and members of the public during the emergency response, urging residents and business owners to remain vigilant and adhere strictly to fire safety measures, particularly in markets and other commercial centres.

 

The Command assured that a detailed report would be made available upon conclusion of the investigation.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Kano Police announce movement restrictions ahead of assembly by-elections

Published

on

 

Nasiru Yusuf Ibrahim

 

The Kano State Police Command has announced movement restrictions and other security measures ahead of the February 21, 2026 by-elections into the Kano Municipal and Ungogo State Constituencies.

 

KANO FOCUS reports that the decision followed a meeting of the Kano State Inter-Agency Consultative Committee on Election Security (ICCES), chaired by the State Resident Electoral Commissioner of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Amb. Zango Abdu, mni, on Thursday February 19, 2026.

 

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, CSP Abdullahi Haruna Kiyawa, on behalf of the Commissioner of Police, CP Ibrahim Adamu Bakori, the Command said comprehensive security arrangements had been concluded to ensure a peaceful, free, fair, credible and transparent exercise.

 

According to the statement, movement of motor vehicles, tricycles and motorcycles will be restricted in Kano Municipal and Ungogo Local Government Areas from 12:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 21, 2026, being election day. The restriction will not apply to vehicles on essential services such as ambulances, fire service trucks, and those conveying electoral officials and accredited observers.

 

The Command further stated that only eligible voters would be allowed access to polling units, while only agents officially identified by INEC would be permitted to operate at the centres.

 

It warned that carrying weapons of any kind is strictly prohibited, adding that individuals wearing clothing or carrying items bearing political party logos will not be allowed at polling units. Loitering around voting centres will also not be tolerated.

 

The Police Command also announced that state security outfits, including vigilante groups, neighbourhood watch personnel, Hisbah and KAROTA officials, will not be allowed at polling units during the exercise.

 

The Command assured residents of its commitment to maintaining peace and neutrality throughout the electoral process, stressing that security agencies would remain apolitical, professional and impartial in the discharge of their duties.

 

Residents and visitors to the affected local government areas were urged to cooperate with law enforcement agencies to ensure a hitch-free exercise. Members of the public were also encouraged to report suspicious activities or emergencies through the designated police emergency numbers.

 

The Command wished the people of Kano State a peaceful and successful by-election.

Continue Reading

Trending