Connect with us

Headlines

COVID-19: Eid prayers to hold in Kano as ‘Hawan Sallah’ is canceled

Published

on

Ganduje Coronavirus

Mukhtar Yahya Usman

The Kano state government has agreed to allow Eid-el-Fitr prayers to hold across the state after reaching an agreement with Islamic scholars and Imams on safety measures against COVID-19 to be observed during the ritual.

This was announced by Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, who held a meeting with Islamic clerics at the Government House, Kano on Monday.

“Government also considers it convenient to allow the conduct of Eid prayers in all five emirates in the state under strict observance of safety and prevention protocols,” Mr Ganduje said.

Ban on Friday prayers also lifted 

Mr Ganduje also said Friday prayers, which have been banned in the state for weeks, would now be performed with the supervision of the Kano Hisbah board, which would ensure that worshippers comply with safety measures.

He explained that movement would be eased three times in a week–on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, adding that the free hours are from 10:00am to 6:00pm.

“In this regard, we have briefed the Hisbah board to hold meeting with Imams and also deploy its personnel to Friday mosques across the state to ensure that worshippers comply with personal hygiene through maintaining of social distancing, hand washing and use of sanitizers,” he said.

‘Hawan Sallah’ canceled

Mr Ganduje however said all festivities including the traditional ‘Hawan Sallah’ (Sallah durbar) have been canceled across all five emirates in the state.

“However, there will be no Sallah festivals in all emirates including the traditional Hawan Sallah,” the governor said.

“While government of Kano state will also continue to work toward ensuring that together we stand to fight the deadly (coronavirus) disease,” he added.

PTF slams fresh 2 weeks lockdown in Kano

Meanwhile, the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 has declared a fresh 2-week lockdown in the state, after the initial lockdown announced by President Muhammadu Buhari on April 27, 2020 expired last week.

Chairman of the PTF, Boss Mustapha said the renewed restriction of movement would allow the government to further check the spread of the coronavirus disease.

“Advisedly, the current phase of eased restriction will be maintained for another two weeks during which stricter enforcement and persuasion measures will be pursued,” he said during the daily media briefing on COVID-19 in Abuja.

According to Mr Mustapha, President Muhammadu Buhari has approved recommendations including the following:

“Maintain the existing lockdown order in Kano for an additional two weeks;

“Imposition of precision lockdown in states, or in metropolitan/high-burden LGAs, that are reporting a rapidly increasing number of cases, when the need arises.

“This would be complemented with the provision of palliatives and continued re-evaluation of the impact of the interventions; and ​Aggressive scale up of efforts to ensure that communities are informed, engaged and participating in the response with enhanced public awareness in high risk states.”

 

Headlines

20 Kano LGs prone to flooding

Published

on

flooding

Nasiru Yusuf

Twenty local government areas in Kano state face high risk of flooding in 2020 according to the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA).

Kano Focus report that the Coordinator NEMA Kano Territorial Office Sanusi Ado revealed this at a stakeholders meeting on flood awareness campaign and implication of 2020 seasonal rainfall prediction held on Wednesday in Kano.

“Those local government areas predicted to be affected by the flood include; Tarauni, Garun Malam, Rimin Gado, Gaya, Gezawa, Gwale, Shanono and Gabasawa.

“Other areas are Gwarzo, Ungoggo, Warawa, Dawakin Kudu, Dambatta, Bebeji, Kano, Wudil, Kura, Nasarawa, Kano Municipal and Kumbotso local government areas.” He said.

Rain, hailstones destroy N40 million crops in Bagwai LG

Mr Ado said according to NIMET, such can threaten agriculture, water resources, health, transport and infrastructure sectors in the state.

He recalled that in 2012, unprecedented flooding led to the displacement of thousands of people, deaths and loss of millions of naira.

He however linked the increased flood risks in urban areas to blocked drainages.

“The recently reported incidence of destroyed bridges in Rimin Gado and Tofa Local Government Areas, led to so many displacements of vulnerable persons resulted from absence and blockage of drainages.

“We therefore urged relevant authorities to pay more attention to waste management in Nigeria.

“Putting in place a holistic waste management would be highly helpful in addressing frequent flooding incidents.

“These should also be backed by laws in respective states that deter people from indiscriminate waste disposal.” He said.

He also called on citizens to take proactive measures to reduce the risks of flooding.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Rape: Kano court sentences 70 year old rapist to death by stoning

Published

on

Mukhtar Yahya Usman

An Upper shari’a court sitting at Kofar Kudu in Kano metropolis has sentenced one Mati Audu to death by stoning after he was found guilty of defiling a 12 year old girl.

Kano Focus reports that the presiding judge, Abdullahi Sani Sarki Yola gave the verdict on Wednesday.

Mr Audu who is a resident of Falsa of Tsanyawa local government confessed to his crime before the judge willingly.

The Judge according to the Islamic teaching gave him chance at three different court sittings to reverse his confession in order to save him from the punishment.

But the old rapist insisted that he defiled the minor, and was willing to accept his punishment.

 

Continue Reading

Headlines

774,000 jobs: Applicants accuse Kano committee chair of favoritism

Published

on

Sabiu Kabuga

Applicants for the Federal Government Extended Special Work Program in Kano state have accused the selection committee chairman, Mukhtar Dauda Mukhtar of illegally sharing the forms to his acquaintances at Bayero University Kano (BUK).

Mr Mukhtar, a professor of Microbiology teaches at the university.

Kano Focus reports that some applicants besieged the Microbiology Department of BUK on Wednesday where they alleged that the committee chairman was giving out the forms to his friends and cronies.

They however met a notice placed on the departmental board dated 11th August, 2020, directing applicants to collect the forms at their respective local government areas.

Some of the applicants told Kano Focus that they were at the department to try their luck as they got wind that the forms were being shared by the selection committee chairman.

An intending applicant who pleads anonymity told Kano Focus that he got the form from his elder brother who is a staff of BUK.

“I run a business here at BUK Old Site, it was Prof. MD Mukhtar who gave me the form with his own hands and many people got the forms here in BUK”, another applicant said.

“We have some people that are working here in BUK. They are the ones who alerted us that we should come here becauses the forms were being shared”, says Abdullahi Aminu who is an intending applicant

“We want politicians and the selection committee chairman to be just because we heard that they are only sharing the forms to their cronies,” another job seeker Ahmad Abubakar begged.

Mr Mukhtar did not respond to several phone calls from Kano Focus to address the allegations.

Continue Reading

Trending