Connect with us

News

20 primary schools lock horn in spelling bee competition in Kano

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

No fewer than twenty public primary schools, drawn from four Local Government areas of Kano state participated in the spelling bee competition in the state.

Kano Focus reports that fouty candidates, drawn from Nassarawa, Dawakin Tofa, Wudil and Ungoggo Local Goverment areas took part in the competition, organized by Kano state Deputy Governor, Nasiru Yusuf Gawuna.

Speaking at the opening of the contest, held at Nassarawa Local Education Authority (LEA) headquarters in Kano on Monday, the Coordinator of the competition, Shamsuddin Sani said the contesting Local Governments were drawn from the three senatorial zones of the state.

According to him, the Inter-public primary schools spelling bee competition was organized by the deputy governor to compliment the effort of governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje’s administration to achieve its free and compulsory education policy.

He said the candidates were selected after they were thoroughly trained and contested school level, adding that best two candidates from each of the 20 schools are those participating at the local government level.

“Now, best two candidates in this local government level will go to participate at the state level coming up soon.

” The idea behind this is to fish out talents and brilliant pupils from public schools and engage them to further sharpen their brains through the competition. It is also to complement the free and compulsory education policy introduced by governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje’s administration,” Mr Sani said

He added that a winner and first and second runners up would be given instructional materials as prizes.

One of the participants, Ibrahim Sani, a 14-year-old from Gawuna Science and Technical Primary School, said they were trained well by their teachers at at school before they participated in the competition.

He said he is optimism to win the ongoing competition and also win the one at state level.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

NIN-SIM Linkage: Telcoms collect 47.8m NINS – NCC

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

The Telecommunication Companies have so far collected 47.8 million NINs at an average of three to four SIMs per subscriber.

The Director Public Affairs at Nigerian Communications Commission Ikechukwu Adinde announced this in a statement sent to Kano Focus on Tuesday.

This according to him means many millions will be linked up before the deadline in February 2021.

He said at the end of a review meeting on January 18, the Technical Implementation Committee under the Ministerial Task Force has reported significant progress in the ongoing NIN-SIM linkage exercise.

Reacting to the report, the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Ibrahim Pantami, expressed satisfaction with this commendable achievement.

He expressed the Federal Government’s appreciation for the commitment demonstrated by all stakeholders and citizens and urged them to submit their NINs before 9th February, 2021 deadline.

The Minister urged the technical team to fast-track the processes so that the project is delivered soonest.

The Technical Committee drew attention to the App developed by Federal Government which allows subscribers to link up to a maximum of seven (7) SIMs to their NIN.

The Minister concluded by reminding Nigerians to secure and protect their NINs, urging subscribers to desist from selling their NINs or allowing others to use their NINs for registration. “For any action committed with the SIM, good or bad, it will be officially traced and attached to the NIN owner,” the Minister warned.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Jealousy: Wife stabs husband’s girlfriend to death

Published

on

Nasiru Yusuf

Kano state police command has arrested a twenty year old Suwaiba Shuaibu, of Gimawa village, Doguwa local government area of Kano State for allegedly killing a proposed wife of her husband.

Kano Focus reports that police said the suspect confessed she had called the victim on phone, deceived and lured her to an uncompleted building in their neighborhood where she used a sharp knife to stab her on her neck, chest and other parts of her body.

She told police that she killed the victim out of jealousy, because her husband proposed to marry her.

Police investigation revealed that the deceased and the husband of the suspect have been in proposed relationship for over six years and their wedding ceremony was scheduled to hold on January 9, 2021.

Wedding invitation of the deceased and suspect’s husband

A statement issued on Tuesday by police spokesperson in Kano Abdullahi Haruna recalled that on January 2 this year one Kabiru Jafaru, of Gimawa village, Doguwa local government of Kano state, that the body of his 17-year old daughter, Aisha Kabir, who got missing on January 1 was found in an uncompleted building in their neighborhood.

The complainant said the victim was suspected to have been stabbed on her neck by her killer.

“Upon receiving the Complaint, the scene was visited and the body was evacuated to Tudun Wada General Hospital for examination by a Medical Doctor.

“The Commissioner of Police Kano State Command, *CP Habu A. Sani, psc* further raised and instructed a Team of Detectives, led by Divisional Police Officer Doguwa, CSP Bala Shuaibu, to arrest the culprit(s).

“The Team immediately swung into action and apprehended one Suwaiba Shuaibu, 20 years old, of the same address with the complainant, who is a second wife to one Shahrehu Alhaji Ali, also of the same address.

“As directed by the Commissioner of Police, *CP Habu A Sani, psc,* the case has been transferred to the Command’s Criminal Investigation Department (CID), Homicide Section, for discrete investigation. The Suspect will be charged to court at the completion of investigation,” the statement said.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Kano bans viewing, event centres, directs civil servants to stay at home

Published

on

Muhammad Garba

Nasiru Yusuf

Kano state government has announced the imposition of a fresh ban on the activities of viewing and event centres across the state following increasing COVID-19 cases.

The state commissioner for Information, Muhammad Garba, who made the revelation in a statement issued on Tuesday.

He said the measure was part of decision at a stakeholders meeting held at the Government House, Kano on Monday.

He said that all civil servants in the state have also been directed to stay at home pending further instruction.

Mr Garba, however, explained that workers on essential services such as the healthcare service providers, fire service, water board, teaching staff, security guards and the media are exempted from the ban.

The commissioner reaffirmed government’s commitment to working with relevant stakeholders that included the Ulama to ensuring compliance with the COVID-19 Protocols.

He also warned that security agents who were part of the stakeholders meeting would not hesitate to take stern measures to ensure compliance with the directive.

Continue Reading

Trending